Favorite Album Ever

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadsOnSticks

New Yorker
I know everyone's gonna bitch & moan...but if you HAD to pick ONE album that really changed the way you listened to music, what would it be?

For me, it would have to be:

Prince: Sign `O The Times

A genius piece of work sprawled over 2 discs. He's really never put out anything better since. The only other album that encompasses this kind of experimental mood would be Kid A by Radiohead.

i don't have a favourite album ever so to speak, but when you said:

HeadsOnSticks said:
if you HAD to pick ONE album that really changed the way you listened to music, what would it be?
i knew exactly what that was: achtung baby - U2.

i got it in 91 when it came out. it marked my change from listening to top 40 stuff like new kids that everyone else my age was listening to, and me starting to listen to music with a message, and not just pretty people dancing onstage. if i hadn't heard that album, i may be sitting with an extensive collection of britney, etc. cds in my collection instead of great rock albums. :|

I can relate Adamswildhoney.....
The Joshua Tree changed everything for me about music......
even tho I listen to it only every now and then, it will always be the one :heart:

Last edited:
I'm not really sure what this thread is asking, so I'll give 2 answers:

Changed the way I listened to music: U2 - Zooropa

Favorite album: The Clash - London Calling

Last edited:
I have the same confusion as Mofo....my favorite album did not affect the way I listen to music. It's just one that I can listen to anytime and still love.

All time favorite: Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders From Mars--David Bowie

Changed the way I listen to music: Pyromania---Def Leppard

every few years i end up with an album that changes the way i listen to music. usually it's not something new. so here's a bunch:

the beatles--sgt. peppers (when i was 8)

barenaked ladies--stunt (when i was 14)

live--the distance to here (15)

u2--JT (also 15)

the clash--u.k version of the self-titled album (17)

the pogues--red roses for me, if i should fall from grace with god--17 and 18

Favourite album -- 100 Broken Windows by Idlewild

Changed the way I listen to music:

The Beatles- -- Revolver
Toad the Wet Sprocket -- Dulcinea
U2 -- Zooropa

My favorite album of all time is The Joshua Tree, but I think it was Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA during my senior year in high school that changed how I listened to music. I haven't listened to it from start to finish in a long, long time, but when I first got it I played it constantly. It was not only my solace and anchor during a very confusing time in my life, but it was also a revealation. I'd never heard rock music with that kind of raw emotion and honesty and beauty before.

To everyone's fav. albums/albums that changed how they listened to music in this thread so far :up:

Great choices. I'm fully impressed with you all, except for HeadsOnSticks. I would have thought his favorite album was Flock of Seagulls.

u2popmofo said:
To everyone's fav. albums/albums that changed how they listened to music in this thread so far :up:

Great choices. I'm fully impressed with you all, except for HeadsOnSticks. I would have thought his favorite album was Flock of Seagulls.

:|
How can you call yerself a music fan without acknowledging the sheer genius of that album? Prince has got mad skillz! Anyway, FOS was too obvious a choice for me anyway...had to keep ya'll on your toes. lol.

HeadsOnSticks, I wasnt mocking Prince. I have a few Prince songs of my own lurking about my mp3 playlists..... I'm quite a fan of the song "7". I'm also down with "When Doves Cry", etc, etc. It took guts on your part to state your undying love for Prince.

I was just giving you crap about your love of FOS. Probably The Bangles would have been a good choice for you too.

Kid A was a fantasmulistic choice.

Last edited:
u2popmofo said:
HeadsOnSticks, I wasnt mocking Prince. I have a few Prince songs of my own lurking about my mp3 playlists..... I'm quite a fan of the song "7". I'm also down with "When Doves Cry", etc, etc. It took guts on your part to state your undying love for Prince.

I was just giving you crap about your love of FOS. Probably The Bangles would have been a good choice for you too.

Kid A was a fantasmulistic choice.

What do you mean "it took guts on my part..."
Lotsa people like Prince. My point (and the point of this thread) was to discuss albums that really changed your musical landscape, changed the way you heard things. And for me, hearing "Sign `O The Times" was a pretty moving experience. I'd never heard anything like that before, and seeing as how my tastes in music were pretty limited at that time it was something completely different.

"And now for something completely different..."

Maybe I should've made the thread about guilty pleasures instead. hahahahaha!:lmao:

Anyway, no worries. I'm not embarrassed about my affinty for Prince albums. he's the fucking man. Or woman. Still not sure.:wink:

Good albums are changing-- they change you and they are actually kinetic themselves....their influence isn't solely contained within the span of one year or one mood or one phase...

Darkness on the Edge of Town ~Bruce Springsteen
Achtung Baby ~U2
Sheryl Crow (self-titled)
August and Everything After ~Counting Crows
What's the Story Morning Glory ~Oasis
Kid A ~Radiohead
From the Choirgirl Hotel ~Tori Amos
The Battle of Los Angeles ~Rage Against the Machine

Sometimes it's hard, but I can listen to these CDs sometimes like I did before I had never heard any of the songs on the radio or anything...

Blur - Parklife or the Clash - London Calling.

Changed the way I listened to music:

Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape
U2 - Achtung Baby
Elastica - Elastica
The Clash - London Calling

Back
Top Bottom