Fav & Least fav rock drummers [I promise this isn't a sad Lemon Melon rip off]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
I promise I had this idea a few days ago after I "Oh-My-God-Why-Didn't-I-Discover-Them-Sooner" discovered Bloc Party and fell IN LOVE with Matt Tong's drumming. I just haven't posted this until now.

Now I'm not a drummer, I'm not a musician and I definitely have no rhythm . . . . . so this is entirely from a layman, rock 'n roll fan's perspective. So, here goes, some of my favorite drummers (and I can't wait to hear yours):

THE Drumming God: John "Gonzo" Bonham

103622pw400.jpg

The Smashing Pumpkins' Jimmy Chamberlin

jimmy.jpg

Phil Collins (Yes, I said Phil Collins!!! Just go listen to "Los Endos" and then get back to me.)

hitmen1gretsch.jpg

Talking Heads' Chris Frantz

puzzle_chris.jpg

Bloc Party - Matt Tong

mattTong.jpeg

And, of course, the Mullen, Jr. (Just because I've always wanted to play the kick-ass ending part on "With or Without You" from Rattle & Hum)

larry0074.jpg

And on the flip side

Some of the most boring rock drumming:

Coldplay's Will Champion (even before I began loathing Coldplay and thought they were okay, I thought he was a boring drummer)

R.E.M.'s Bill Berry (I know I'm going to get crucified for this one, but . . . . hey, what can I say?)

Okay, now let's hear yours! :hyper:

Last edited:
FAVS:
Niel Peart - RUSH
John Bonham _ Zep
Drummer for Missing Persons (I can't remember his name)
Kieth Moon - The Who
Stewart Copeland- The Police

Least Favs:
I really can't think of anyone

Faves

John Bonham
Neil Peart
Ian Paice
Mike Portnoy
Taylor Hawkins

Least

no one really, Stewart Copeland's tendency to rush when playing live always bothered me a bit.

Larry's decline has him way down on my list, Pop was his last really interesting album.

Stephen Perkins (Jane's Addiction - hands down greatest drummer ever.)
Jimmy Chamberlain
John Bonham
Dave Grohl
David Lovering (Pixies)...there's more, I just can't think of them. I love listening to the drums, more so than anything else probably.

I don't have a least favorite, but most drummers kind of suck. They just keep the beat instead of treating the drums like an instrument. That always annoys me and is in my opinion what keeps most good bands from being great bands.

Good to see some Charlie Watts love. VERY underrated drummer. Phil Collins as well, actually. I have a friend who saw Phil live a couple of years ago and he said he's an absolutely amazing player.

Canadiens1160 said:
Good to see some Charlie Watts love. VERY underrated drummer.

It is a shame that he has been overshadowed by Jagger and Richards for all these years, as have all of the other members of the Rolling Stones. He really is a solid drummer.

My Favorites:

1. John Bonham- "When the Levee Breaks" seals this one.

2. Charlie Watts

3. Nick Mason

4. Larry Mullen Jr.

5. Max Weinberg

Instead of putting pics and such, I'll just run through this quickly:

1. Keith Moon
2. John "Bonzo" Bonham
3. Steven Drozd :rockon:
4. Phil Collins
5. Phil Selway

Well, I'm all about the positive, so I'll only name my favorites in no particular order:

Larry Mullen Jr.
John Bonham
Ringo Starr
Keith Moon
Chad Smith

JOHN BONHAM
KEITH MOON
LARRY MULLEN JNR

I dont really have a worst drummer, if i did it have to be the coldplay drummer for the most boring beats ever.

1. John Bonham
2. Keith Moon
3. Dave Grohl
4. Matt Cameron (can't believe nobody has mentioned him yet!)
5. Larry Mullen Jr

Tim Powles -- he gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek and said "thank you for being such a big supported of the band.' That will do it for me. :)

Colin Brooks -- he was great fun to watch play. It was apparent he was having a blast up there. I couldn't take my eyes off him.

Other than those two I have to say I don't pay all that much attention to drummers.

Favourites:
1. HELLHAMMER! Jan Axel Blomberg is the fucking god of drums. I don't think there is any competition. Just listen to Arcturus's The Sham Mirrors and get back to me. And with a name like Hellhammer, how can you go wrong?
2. Mike Portnoy! Also the god of drums. The man owns. So on second thoughts, Hellhammer does have competition.
3. Sean Reinert. I present Exhibit A: Cynic's Focus. That is how you play, folks.
4. Gavin Harrison. Impeccable timing and placement, great ear for music.

Least favourite:
Larry Mullen. Just fuck off. Hasn't played anything decent since God Part II and is dead weight in U2 nowadays.

I don't really notice drummers in band usually but the ones that I like

Lars Ulrich
Keith Moon
Max Weinberg
Larry Mullen
and I can't think of the name right now, drummer from Queen

Steve Shelley from Sonic Youth. The man is tight.
Larry Mullen has declined a lot. At his best, though, his beats aren't hard, but his arrangements and dynamics and creativity are quite good. Same with Nick Mason.
Tool and Smashing Pumpkins drummers are nice.

Anyone remember when Larry's drumpart for a song actually had 8 or 9 changes? I think we're down to 1 now...

the drummers I like aren't necessarily virtuosos. I'm not interested in ten minute drum solos. my favourite drummers are able to make memorable beats. Beats that get stuck in your head and really make a song. That's why i like a lot of hip-hop/rap too, even if the lyrics suck.

Larry Mullen Jr.
larry_59.jpg

Early 80's stuff is possibly his best, along with Pop.

Matt Tong
Press_89.jpg

currently my favourite drummer. Pioneers FTW! The Prayer, Hero, Tulips, Rhododendrons, Where is Home?, Sunday, Hunting for Witches, Banquet... :drool:

Mitch Mitchell
mitch_2.jpg

It's quite a feat to be noticable when you're playing drums for Jimi Hendrix.

Jack Irons gets no love here, but I think he's great.

Peart. Only drummer I ever really focus on when seeing the band live.

Collins.

Ulrich.

Bonham.

Moon.

Drummer from Catherine Wheel.

Cameron.

It's hard to notice bad drumming, but I found the drumming for Counting Crows to be pretty weak - especially on their first album.

Collective Soul had noticeably generic drumming I thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom