Fast Food lawsuit dismissed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

daisybean

Rock n' Roll Doggie, FOB
Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eye
NEW YORK (Reuters) - In a major victory for the fast food industry, a federal judge on Wednesday dismissed a widely watched suit in which McDonald's hamburgers and French fries were blamed for children's obesity.
U.S. District Judge Robert Sweet said the plaintiffs, including a 14-year-old girl who is 4-foot-10 and 170 pounds, failed to show McDonald's Corp.(NYSE:MCD - news) products presented a danger unknown to consumers. He also cited concerns the case could "spawn thousands of similar 'McLawsuits"' against all types of restaurants.
"This opinion is guided by the principle that legal consequences should not attach to the consumption of hamburgers and other fast food fare unless consumers are unaware of the dangers of eating such food," Sweet said.

"If consumers know...the potential ill health effect of eating at McDonald's, they cannot blame McDonald's if they, nonetheless, choose to satiate their appetite with a surfeit of supersized McDonald's products."

Although the judge threw out the suit in it's entirety, he ruled the plaintiffs could refile claims in Manhattan federal court within certain limits.

Sweet also said McDonald's had rightfully pointed out that the case was the first of its kind to reach this stage in federal court and could result in thousands of copycat cases.

The suit was brought on behalf of overweight children who ate at two McDonald's restaurants in the Bronx borough of New York City. The plaintiffs sought unspecified damages, blaming McDonald's for health problems that included diabetes, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure and elevated cholesterol.

The suit was one of at least four cases filed against McDonald's and other fast food chains over the obesity issue. At least two cases have been dropped and another is dormant.

The judge noted that Americans spend more than $110 billion on fast food each year, and cited studies showing that on any given day in the United States, almost one in four adults visits a fast-food restaurant.

"The potential for lawsuits is even greater given the numbers of persons who eat food prepared at other restaurants in addition to those serving fast food," Sweet said, citing reports that show almost half of the American food dollar is spent on food eaten away from home.

thats really too bad. though ofcourse its not entirely their fault, they still are a big problem of it.

and lets face it, those companies are gross. its all soylent green. i mean honestly, do any of you really eat at mcdonalds anymore? and if you do, do you dare touch any of the "meat?"

Cow of the Seas said:
and lets face it, those companies are gross. its all soylent green. i mean honestly, do any of you really eat at mcdonalds anymore? and if you do, do you dare touch any of the "meat?"

:up: the sanitary conditions and federal food regulations just don't cut it for me...although, i have developed a taste for diseased dog meat....:yuck:.....

ahh mcdonalds...one of the many reasons i stopped eating red meat...

actually ive heard they dont have ANY meat in their hamburgers anymore. which actually makes them seem more appealing now...

No they use actual beef...they cut down the rainforests so they can grow meadows to feed the cows that will go to slaughter. Then when they are done with an area that they have destroyed they leave it completely barren. Whole ecosystems are destroyed so people can get a hamburger in under 30 seconds.

Eh...everything on "Fear Factor" is technically edible. :p I can't imagine it would be worse than that.

Melon

Wouldn't you need to be American to claim grounds for offence taken bear?
This is truly a good thing. While you are correct in your descriptions of the restaurants bear, such ignorance or opportunistic law suits cannot be grounds for such unfounded actions by these families and lawyers.

Back
Top Bottom