Fargo - help needed - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2002, 05:36 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Fargo - help needed

Movie buffs, please help me out! I'm not good at arty-farty, so could someone please explain to me why Fargo is so great? I just watched it and it just didn't do anything for me, yet it's supposed to be one of the greatest movies of all time. I'm also wondering why it's supposed to be funny... it can't be the exaggerated Scandinavian accents, can it? I feel like a complete idiot.

(On a more positive note, I watched Withnail & I earlier tonight - now that's entertainment!)

Old 02-14-2002, 05:47 PM   #2
*Stormy*

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Well part of the fascination for me is, I have an obsession with the upper midwest, Minnesota and the Dakotas. After many years of hoping, I was finally able to visit there and I loved it. The lay of the land and the buildings look different than on the east coast, and I find it interesting and exciting- so I'm a dweeb, I think it rules! I loved the part where they are driving through Minneapolis, it reminded me of my trip. The desolate North Dakota countryside also added to the allure and scariness of the movie.

Other than that, it is intriguing because it is based on a true story, and that always does more for me than fiction. I thought it was very intense, and interesting until the last moment. It was more entertaining than most action movies I have seen IMO.

To anyone else who has seen this, something does bug me- WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONEY??!! Remember when he got out of the car along that deserted road and buried the ransom money in the snow near a fence? After he died, no one else knew where it was, so:
a) what happened to it?
b) how did they know that really happened? Was it discovered by some farmer after the spring thaw?

------------------
"I was born a MacPhisto"

Old 02-14-2002, 05:49 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 12:22 PM
ohhh yahhh suuuure you betcha.

I have no clue. I've never actually watched it. I know, bad me...living in Minnesota and all.

Stormy, why in the world is this area interesting to you? lol. It's geographically one of the most boring places I've lived in. The Twin Cities themselves tho are quite nice...good arts scene, etc.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:05 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 06:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by *Stormy*:
Other than that, it is intriguing because it is based on a true story,
Nah, I read that they just put that in there because people will believe anything, however improbable, once they've heard that it's a true story. Much like that crazy-murdering-cheerleader-mum film from about a decade ago.
Quote:
b) how did they know that really happened?
See above.

[This message has been edited by Klodomir (edited 02-14-2002).]
Old 02-14-2002, 06:22 PM   #5
*Stormy*

Yes, the Twin Cities are very cool! I'm a big Vikings fan too. I love the landscape, some of it is boring and some of it is interesting. I covered the road from the Twin Cities to Fargo in 4 hours flat, flying all the way to loud rock and roll. It was great. North Dakota is so diverse geographically, from the flatter-than-Minnesota in the east to the lumpy valleys to things that look like 'zits' poking up out of the ground, (I think they may be deposits left my receding glaciers) and then the Badlands before going into Montana! In South Dakota, the Badlands are sandy and pointy and red, totally different than North Dakota's light colored rocky rounded ones. The prairie grasslands of South Dakota change from east to west, and the Black Hills are cool! I don't know what it is, I just have always had this 'thing' for Minnesota and the Dakotas. I actually wrote a novel about a rock band from North Dakota!

Old 02-14-2002, 06:26 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 11:22 AM
A couple of things:

1. Like Sula, I live in the Twin Cities.
2. Like Sula, I've never seen "Fargo", though I've been there several times.
3. Like Klodomir, I'm aware that this film is not based on a true story. Look here for details: http://www.snopes.com/movies/films/fargo.htm
4. Like Stormy, a 28 year-old japanese woman believed this film to be true. She came to Minnesota to search for the loot a few months ago and was found dead in the woods by hunter. Apparently she committed suicide. A truly sad and bizarre story.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:38 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Ohhh, I love Fargo. Maybe because I'm from Minnesota so I get all the jokes. What's funny is that is SERIOUSLY how we talk. Other than that it's dark satire. Not funy "haha!" More funny "ooohh, that's inconvieniant".

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.
Old 02-14-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

P.S Fargo the city sucks. A lot.

------------------
It's the puppets that pull the strings.

*You're very kind. Most people laugh when they see my googly eye.*

+fabulous+

The Edge, it's a direct object.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:00 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:22 AM
I think maybe it's just quirky, dark American humor? Hard to explain why, but I loved the film.
Old 02-14-2002, 07:01 PM   #10
*Stormy*

1. Valley City, ND is much better than Fargo.

2. If it is not true, someone must have a very warped mind to create such a thing. But it was worth it, it was interesting.

Old 02-14-2002, 07:04 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

oh btw, before I forget...Lilly, spiral_staircase, and zonelistener...there is a Twin Cities U2 fan get-together planned for Grammy Night. Email me at sulawesigirl@yahoo.com for the details. And don't forget this time!!!!
Old 02-14-2002, 09:12 PM   #12
The Fly

Came to Fargo 4 times over the last 2 months for work. "Food?" you ask. "Granite City" I reply.. ate 3 meals there. All very good. Unexpected by me (big city Chicago bias here). Go there. you'll like it.
Old 02-14-2002, 09:42 PM   #13
Refugee

Klodo-
Mainly the 'quirkiness' and 'idiosynracies' of the characters are what make this film so appealing.It is more easily understood in the states here.

Also William Macy the red-haired character used this film as a launching pad for his career for more 'main steam' work, along w/the wood-chipper guy-who has been in Quetin Terintino-sp movies.

Hope this helps.

Db9

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 02-14-2002).]
Old 02-15-2002, 01:27 AM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Great points Diamond!

Like many of the other Joel and Ethan Cohen movies (Twin Cities Natives), the quirky, "I know there are people out there like this" charachters make the movie. It's the hair-brained schemes they find thelmselves in that develop the charachter's stories. It's just good fun.

Here's the article Spiral_Staircase was talking about...the Tokyo woman looking for the loot!

http://www.startribune.com/stories/411/879249.html

Old 02-15-2002, 04:45 AM   #15
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:22 AM
The (somewhat) exaggerated accents were humorous but I found myself laughing most often at the foibles of the character played by Steve Buscemi. It was brutal when he was shot in the face but it was also terribly funny because his usual angry impatience was amplified ten fold.

Fargo was a great film because it was well acted all the way around and because the script was great.