Fargo - help needed - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2002, 05:05 AM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 04:54 PM
Thanks all! Fortunately, I was able to turn the conversation to Withnail & I instead, so I didn't have to admit to not getting Fargo at all. Hmmm... I feel another thread coming on.

Old 02-15-2002, 10:53 AM   #17
Bad Daddy Johnny

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Unless you're a North American, you won't get it. The entire genius of the movie is dependant on the audience knowing about the culture/people.

Old 02-15-2002, 11:19 AM   #18
Refugee

Hm. Then they should put a warning label on it: "Not suitable for ignorant euro types".
Old 02-15-2002, 06:00 PM   #19
The Fly

Local Time: 03:54 PM
One of my favorite movies. Love the quirky dark humor, and the accents. One of my favorite scenes is near the end when the deputy is talking to bartender, but you can't see the bartender's face because his coat is just completely covering him up. I don't know why, but I just find that hilarious. I think there are some wonderfully memorable characters in it too, especially Frances McDormand as Marge Gunderson. I just think she's amazing, intelligent, tough, kind, totally together and pregnant.

From a technical standpoint, the movie is photographed beautifully, all those long white stretches of snow in the American midwest, and the score is one of my favorites, very haunting.

I like that the movie also has a message too. Money's not the most important thing in life. The greed of most of the characters just leads to horrible death and bloodshed. Love and family are important. The ending scene with Marge and Norm is just so sweet.
Old 02-16-2002, 06:14 PM   #20
Refugee

I'm not North American, but I got it.
Not only did I get it, its one of the most hilarious movies I've seen - its an absolute gem of a film.

Why is it so good?
Its hard to say. The script is amazing and the perfomances are amazing, too.

Ant.
Old 02-17-2002, 03:09 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Johnny Swallow:
Unless you're a North American, you won't get it. The entire genius of the movie is dependant on the audience knowing about the culture/people.
Well i'm not a North American and i don't know the culture, but what me and my brother found funny is the cruel, satire humor - and the dorkyness of the two criminals. Also, i laughed at the angry, choleric personality of the small one of the criminals.
And the "jaaa"s of the police woman (Frances McDormand) cracked me up every single time!
Old 02-17-2002, 05:23 AM   #22
Refugee

Hm, so non-Americans like it too. Must be just me then. And I hated the "jaaa's". To me, a joke just doesn't get any better by being repeated 100 times.

But I just remember one funny bit... where she has a bout of morning sickness and then just stands up and says, "Well, that passed", very matter-of-fact. That did provoke a bit of a giggle.
Old 02-17-2002, 07:21 AM   #23
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by Klodomir:
Hm, so non-Americans like it too. Must be just me then. And I hated the "jaaa's". To me, a joke just doesn't get any better by being repeated 100 times.

But I just remember one funny bit... where she has a bout of morning sickness and then just stands up and says, "Well, that passed", very matter-of-fact. That did provoke a bit of a giggle.
Actually, the funny thing was that they do talk like that in Minesota, don't they? I mean, perhaps not so exaggerated but they do speak in such a dialect... that's what makes it funny. Ever hear of the expression 'its funny because its true' - thats exactly why this movie works on so many levels. It is painfully funny, but its also horrific and really quite tragic when you think about it, all the more horrific and tragic for being true.

I mean, the English have been taken the piss out of ever since the beginning of Hollywood, and thats why now they either play really effeminate characters or really snobbish/posh villains.... but if you go down the road where I live everybody talks more like people out of 'Last Orders', did anybody see that movie? Oh well.

On another note... has anybody seen Robert Altman's masterpiece 'GOSFORD PARK'... ah, that film is terrific as well. Very funny, very sad, very British. Might not appeal to all tastes but definately for the anglophiles.

As for FARGO, the most effective/funny/horrific/surreal and disturbing mental picture that stayed with me was the one where Marge turns her head slightly in the forest and sees a man shoving another man down a sawmill, with Steve Buscemi's feet sticking out of the contraption! Now, thats something you expect out of a DALI painting, not something that actually happened in such a Christmas Card setting. Wow.

Oh, and also... the funniest scene for me was the Mike Jamakiya scene...u know the Japanese fellow who's wife just died and hence is all lonely, so he desperately tries to get it on with pregnant Marge? That scene was fantastically well written and acted.

I think I'll go watch it now...

Ant.
Old 02-17-2002, 11:47 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:54 AM
Yes, many Minnesotans do talk that way. I still crack up (I've lived in Minn. for ten years now) everytime I hear a strong accent like that. But I do have to say, it is much more pleasant than the accent I grew up with - New Jersey (outside of NYC).