FAO - Monty Python Fans.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2005, 07:07 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:22 PM
FAO - Monty Python Fans....

Found this great news from www.pythonline.com

PRE-PYTHON RARITIES COMING TO DVD
by Hans ten Cate
Monday, 30 May 2005

At Last the 1948 Show & Do Not Adjust Your Set

The history of Monty Python's Flying Circus is often credited to the coming together of two popular British comedy series from the 1960s, At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set, both featuring the Pythons before they were, well, Pythons.

On July 26 Tango Entertainment will debut two DVD's featuring episodes of these two series. The announcement was somewhat 'under the radar' but certainly comes as a welcome one to Python fans. Python aficionados have largely been familiar with the series by name only as both have never been available on any commercial medium (save perhaps for a few bootleg videos).

While I'm hoping to have more information on these DVDs in the coming weeks, here is what I know: one DVD will apparently feature 5 episodes of the classic series At Last the 1948 Show, featuring John cleese and Graham Chapman. The other DVD includes 9 episodes of Do Not Adjust Your Set, staring Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Eric Idle.

This is the first time these shows are being made available on DVD in the U.S., or anywhere for that matter. Both DVDs will be available for $29.98 each and also include brand-new interviews with original cast members and a Comedy Family Tree Poster Booklet.

At Last the 1948 Show....
aired on BBC television in 1967 and 1968, only ever showing thirteen 25-minute episodes. It was written and performed before a live audience by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graham Chapman, John Cleese and Marty Feldman (who until this series had been known solely as a comedy writer). The show also included special appearances by Barry Cryer and Eric Idle. The entire vehicle was driven by David Frost, who had worked with a number of the Pythons on The Frost Report.

Many famous Monty Python skits were introduced for the first time on At Last the 1948 Show, including the "4 Yorkshiremen" and Graham Chapman's one-man wrestling sketch.

The show's name was allegedly suggested by John Cleese, commenting on how long it took the BBC to greenlight shows.

When the shows finally aired, black and white television was on its way out, so it was remarkable any of the episodes aired. David Frost ended up deleting many of the master tapes, but five "best-of" episodes had aired and were kept by Swedish television. Thank you Sweden!

Do Not Adjust Your Set...
originally aired in 1968 and starred Eric Idle, David Jason, Terry Jones, Denise Coffey and Michael Palin. The show was intended to be a children's program, but its silliness and clever skits also appealed to adult audiences. Although it originally aired in the afternoons, at tea-time, for children, the network eventually re-aired the show at 7 pm because they found out that people were leaving work early to go home and catch the series on TV. The series aired over two seasons, for a total of 27 episodes and two specials.

Filmed in front of a live audience, the shows also featured musical interludes performed by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (from which came Python colleague Neil Innes) and the running weekly saga of "superhero" Captain Fantastic and his arch enemy Mrs. Black, which lived even past the series as part of the children's magazine, Magpie.

Some episodes also featured original animations by Terry Gilliam; who with Idle, Jones and Palin joined forces with Cleese and Chapman to form Monty Python's Flying Circus a mere five months after the last episode of DNAYS.

I've only before seen a few clips of both of these shows, but they def. show the early potential of the 6 comedy kings. Can't wait for the release of these 2!

Old 07-17-2005, 09:55 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 AM
... very interesting !!

Old 07-18-2005, 01:34 AM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by MsMofoGone
... very interesting !!
Are u lying...just posting cos u felt sorry for me not getting any replies?
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 AM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 03:22 PM
Thanks for posting this Aardvark

I have to wait until they are released in Europe ( R2 )
Old 07-18-2005, 03:49 AM   #5
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 01:22 AM

I'd love to get this.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 07-18-2005, 04:03 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
Thanks for posting this Aardvark

I have to wait until they are released in Europe ( R2 )
25th July my friend....
Old 07-18-2005, 04:16 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Aardvark747

25th July my friend....
Found them

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...o.x=50&Go.y=13

http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...2&title=670716

Cool
Old 07-18-2005, 04:31 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Yimou, have u seen Palin and Jones' Ripping Yarns series they did after Python? Classic stuff!
Old 07-18-2005, 04:56 AM   #9
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I have seen some of it but never the complete series. But i just found the complete series on play.com

You know your python
Old 07-18-2005, 06:02 AM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
I have seen some of it but never the complete series. But i just found the complete series on play.com

You know your python
Buy it! Seriously! They are fantastic. And yes, actually I probably know as much about Python as U2!
Old 07-18-2005, 07:46 AM   #11
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:22 AM
Quote:

Are u lying...just posting cos u felt sorry for me not getting any replies?
AAHHHHHH YES !! Apparently, that sounds good !!

Seriously, I hope we get this released over here !!

And honestly, I wish we would STILL get half of the TV programs that you get in the UK ...
Even with cable, it's NOT happening !!
AAHHHHH ... The need to upgrade to a satellite dish !!
Old 07-20-2005, 05:10 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Only a few days to go till my dvd's arrive!

(God im sad, bumping this thread up JUST to say that!)

I watched the first ever ep of Flying Circus last nite, to start to get me in the mood! (That's EP 2 of the 1st Series of course, cos as we ALL know, THAT was the 1st ep recorded, but the BBC in their infinite wisdom decided to put the shows out in a different running order)

(NOW look at me! I'm blatantly trying to show off my knowledge of Python! I should be shot! Yimou, Axver, MsMofo - get the gun!)
Old 07-20-2005, 07:07 AM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

(NOW look at me! I'm blatantly trying to show off my knowledge of Python! I should be shot! Yimou, Axver, MsMofo - get the gun!)
No, i would never shoot a fellow python fan

I have never bought any Flying circus DVDs because i have yet to find the complete series. I have them all on VHS so it just seems stupid to buy some best off dvd.. Do you know if they have released the entire series on DVD.

And i noticed that we have another Aardvark on this board Now whats up with that ? EDIT: One is enough :-)
Old 07-20-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

They are all available in a delux boxset...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

I bought them all when they were being released series by series. then 2 months later, they released them in this box set format!!!
But, being a sucker for that kind of thing - I purchased them again and sold my other set!
I know it's expensive, but it's def. come down in price, but actually, unless ur VHS's are looking worn or not playing properly, then there isnt a great point in buying them on DVD like u say.

The extras are ok, but there's no documentaries or commentaries, just fun and games!
If you ARE after a great Python documentary, then the 'Life Of Python' DVD is def. worth a purchase, and that wont set u back anywhere near as much!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd

This was on the BBC in 1999, to coincide with the 30th Anniversary.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:05 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Ahhhh man. I just checked out the links you gave and the dvds are all in R1. I should really get a code-free dvd player.

I didn´t know that the Life Of Python DVD existed. Sounds pretty great with Meatloaf and all. And a Michael Palin tour of python sites

I placed my order at play.com for the two dvds from your orginal post yesterday. Can´t wait and I bet the BBC didn´t see the legendary status that the Pythons enjoy now, when they first aired their show

I just thought of the cycling sketch for no reason.

Pither: August 18th. Fell off near Bovey Tracey. The pump
caught in my trouser leg, and my sandwiches were badly crushed.