FAO - Monty Python Fans....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
Found this great news from www.pythonline.com

PRE-PYTHON RARITIES COMING TO DVD
by Hans ten Cate
Monday, 30 May 2005

At Last the 1948 Show & Do Not Adjust Your Set

The history of Monty Python's Flying Circus is often credited to the coming together of two popular British comedy series from the 1960s, At Last the 1948 Show and Do Not Adjust Your Set, both featuring the Pythons before they were, well, Pythons.

On July 26 Tango Entertainment will debut two DVD's featuring episodes of these two series. The announcement was somewhat 'under the radar' but certainly comes as a welcome one to Python fans. Python aficionados have largely been familiar with the series by name only as both have never been available on any commercial medium (save perhaps for a few bootleg videos).

While I'm hoping to have more information on these DVDs in the coming weeks, here is what I know: one DVD will apparently feature 5 episodes of the classic series At Last the 1948 Show, featuring John cleese and Graham Chapman. The other DVD includes 9 episodes of Do Not Adjust Your Set, staring Michael Palin, Terry Jones, and Eric Idle.

This is the first time these shows are being made available on DVD in the U.S., or anywhere for that matter. Both DVDs will be available for $29.98 each and also include brand-new interviews with original cast members and a Comedy Family Tree Poster Booklet.

At Last the 1948 Show....
aired on BBC television in 1967 and 1968, only ever showing thirteen 25-minute episodes. It was written and performed before a live audience by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graham Chapman, John Cleese and Marty Feldman (who until this series had been known solely as a comedy writer). The show also included special appearances by Barry Cryer and Eric Idle. The entire vehicle was driven by David Frost, who had worked with a number of the Pythons on The Frost Report.

Many famous Monty Python skits were introduced for the first time on At Last the 1948 Show, including the "4 Yorkshiremen" and Graham Chapman's one-man wrestling sketch.

The show's name was allegedly suggested by John Cleese, commenting on how long it took the BBC to greenlight shows.

When the shows finally aired, black and white television was on its way out, so it was remarkable any of the episodes aired. David Frost ended up deleting many of the master tapes, but five "best-of" episodes had aired and were kept by Swedish television. Thank you Sweden!

Do Not Adjust Your Set...
originally aired in 1968 and starred Eric Idle, David Jason, Terry Jones, Denise Coffey and Michael Palin. The show was intended to be a children's program, but its silliness and clever skits also appealed to adult audiences. Although it originally aired in the afternoons, at tea-time, for children, the network eventually re-aired the show at 7 pm because they found out that people were leaving work early to go home and catch the series on TV. The series aired over two seasons, for a total of 27 episodes and two specials.

Filmed in front of a live audience, the shows also featured musical interludes performed by the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band (from which came Python colleague Neil Innes) and the running weekly saga of "superhero" Captain Fantastic and his arch enemy Mrs. Black, which lived even past the series as part of the children's magazine, Magpie.

Some episodes also featured original animations by Terry Gilliam; who with Idle, Jones and Palin joined forces with Cleese and Chapman to form Monty Python's Flying Circus a mere five months after the last episode of DNAYS.

I've only before seen a few clips of both of these shows, but they def. show the early potential of the 6 comedy kings. Can't wait for the release of these 2!:wink:

Thanks for posting this Aardvark

I have to wait until they are released in Europe ( R2 )

I have seen some of it but never the complete series. But i just found the complete series on play.com :wink:

You know your python :up:

yimou said:
I have seen some of it but never the complete series. But i just found the complete series on play.com :wink:

You know your python :up:

Buy it! Seriously! They are fantastic. And yes, actually I probably know as much about Python as U2!:wink:

Aardvark747 said:

Are u lying...just posting cos u felt sorry for me not getting any replies?:wink:

AAHHHHHH YES !! Apparently, that sounds good !! :giggle::wink:

Seriously, I hope we get this released over here !! :shrug:

And honestly, I wish we would STILL get half of the TV programs that you get in the UK ...
Even with cable, it's NOT happening !! :tsk:
AAHHHHH ... The need to upgrade to a satellite dish !! :ohmy:

:hyper: Only a few days to go till my dvd's arrive!

(God im sad, bumping this thread up JUST to say that!):coocoo:

I watched the first ever ep of Flying Circus last nite, to start to get me in the mood! (That's EP 2 of the 1st Series of course, cos as we ALL know, THAT was the 1st ep recorded, but the BBC in their infinite wisdom decided to put the shows out in a different running order)

(NOW look at me! I'm blatantly trying to show off my knowledge of Python! I should be shot! Yimou, Axver, MsMofo - get the gun!) :wink:

Aardvark747 said:

(NOW look at me! I'm blatantly trying to show off my knowledge of Python! I should be shot! Yimou, Axver, MsMofo - get the gun!) :wink:

No, i would never shoot a fellow python fan :wink:

I have never bought any Flying circus DVDs because i have yet to find the complete series. I have them all on VHS so it just seems stupid to buy some best off dvd.. Do you know if they have released the entire series on DVD.

And i noticed that we have another Aardvark on this board :wink: Now whats up with that ? EDIT: One is enough :)

Last edited:
They are all available in a delux boxset...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_3/002-0712772-1955247?v=glance&s=dvd

I bought them all when they were being released series by series. then 2 months later, they released them in this box set format!!!:mad:
But, being a sucker for that kind of thing - I purchased them again and sold my other set!:wink:
I know it's expensive, but it's def. come down in price, but actually, unless ur VHS's are looking worn or not playing properly, then there isnt a great point in buying them on DVD like u say.

The extras are ok, but there's no documentaries or commentaries, just fun and games!
If you ARE after a great Python documentary, then the 'Life Of Python' DVD is def. worth a purchase, and that wont set u back anywhere near as much!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...ref=sr_1_4/002-0712772-1955247?v=glance&s=dvd

This was on the BBC in 1999, to coincide with the 30th Anniversary.:wink:

Ahhhh man. I just checked out the links you gave and the dvds are all in R1. I should really get a code-free dvd player.

I didn´t know that the Life Of Python DVD existed. Sounds pretty great with Meatloaf and all. And a Michael Palin tour of python sites :wink:

I placed my order at play.com for the two dvds from your orginal post yesterday. Can´t wait and I bet the BBC didn´t see the legendary status that the Pythons enjoy now, when they first aired their show :lol:

I just thought of the cycling sketch for no reason.

Pither: August 18th. Fell off near Bovey Tracey. The pump
caught in my trouser leg, and my sandwiches were badly crushed.

:lol:

I love the scene in that ep, when Pither is in Prison, and the guards cant shoot him properly! And in typical Python fashion, u cant see how he escapes and returns to Devon, because of the 'SCENE MISSING' link!:wink:

That was the episode where Jones n Palin started to enjoy writing the longer material, rather than the sketch format. Something that was enjoyed a lot more during the 4th Series, post-Cleese.
Do u like that series btw Yimou? I know that some do, some dont. I like a couple of the eps, 'Mr Neutron' and the last one especially. But the 'Golden Age Of Ballooning' ep....that does get on my tits a little these days!:wink:

And yeah, the little Palin-Walkabout part on that Life Of Python DVD is just great! 1 place he goes to is Poole in Dorset, where he filmed the 1st 'IT'S Man' coming out of the sea, and staggering up to the camera! He submerges himself, suit and all, in the water - and acts out the part again!:wink:

And yeah I know what u mean about the Region thingy on the player...I actually had to go and buy a new one JUST to be able to watch the Python DVD's!:wink:

The cycling sketch is just hilarious :lol:

About the 4th series then thats where you´ll find most of the material i dont like. Its still a great season but unless Cleese had returned for a 5th series then they made the right decision to end the series and move into films.

The Palin walkabout sounds hilarious. I found some really cheap codefree dvd players and maybe its time to invest in one.

Have you read Chapmans A Liar's Autobiography?. I have it but it was actually a bit too weird for me. He is all over the place with his lies and contradictions which makes it difficult to read IMO.

Yeah I have it im my collection!:wink:
You're right, there were moments when it all seemed 'really' wacky! I liked reading the bit about when he went out on the piss and met some guy in Torquay - the town next to where I live!:wink: The gay bar is still there and frequented by many every weekend. There should be some memorabilia in there of the late Graham!

....maybe there is - i've never been in there....:shifty: :wink:

Hopefully with the release of these 2 products, they might consider giving Eric Idle's 1st post-python series an airing too, 'Rutland Weekend Television'. I'd really like to see that. I've only ever seen 1 clip, but I know it was supposed to have been panned by the critics - hence no 2nd series!

Nothing could top Fawlty Towers tho imo, for post-python classics. Tho Ripping Yarns does come tantalisingly close!:wink:

I wonder what kind of memorabilia they could have in the gay bar :wink: I read another book about Chapman and it was just hilarious. I have it but i dont remember the name of it. It have a few sections about Chapman and Keith Moon. What a pair :wink:

I have also only seen a few clips from the Rutland Weekend Television. I would love to see it too. It always pains me to see that Eric ended up in the Brooke Shields sit-com Suddenly susan. Just a waste of talent.

Do you have the Rutles album ? Its just great.

Oh yes!:yes:
Another pre-python classic! Palin / Cleese / Chapman in this one. Along with Connie Booth too. An early creation on the Parrot sketch is here, with Chapman trying to bring his car back to the garage, and Palin trying his best to be as unhelpful as possible!

"Oh yeah, a lovely motor that - never have any problems with these....but if u have any trouble then bring it in"

"Well I HAVE had trouble and I HAVE brought it in!!"

:wink:

Def. worth a purchase if u dont have that one.....:up:

Aardvark... You are bad news for my wallet. Just ordered it from play :wink:

I´ll get a bit soppy on you now, but its really cool that you dig the Pythons so much :up: If it wasn´t for you then i would have had more money in my bank account :lol:

LOL, just remembered that when i first started getting into the Pythons i actually tried to pitch some comedy ideas to a big Danish tv channel. They replied that it was too silly !!! :wink:

I guess truly silly things will only be allowed on tv when its a re-run of the Pythons

yimou said:
Aardvark... You are bad news for my wallet. Just ordered it from play :wink:

I´ll get a bit soppy on you now, but its really cool that you dig the Pythons so much :up: If it wasn´t for you then i would have had more money in my bank account :lol:

Sorry about that buddy! But there's nothing U2-WISE to spend it on right now eh? So the next best thing.......Python!:wink:

The BBC NEVER shows repeats of Python btw. It's like they wanna try and forget the most seminal comedy they've ever shown!:huh:
In my lifetime, they have NEVER shown a Python ep on the BBC, unless it's a clip in some other show or something.

Tragic!

Im off home now anyway - you will very much enjoy 'How To Irritate People'!:wink:

Was just browsing on Amazon, and I found this review on the Holy Grail....it MUST be a joke - surely?!:huh: :wink:

'I had checked this movie out earlier this summer, and the movie more or less left me with questions in my mind, and the ending of this movie disappointed me. I had no idea the film was over when it ended, and I don't want to spoil it for you, of how it ended, I thought the film contiuned on disc 2, but no, so more of less, I am disappointed of how the film ended, this film just ended on a cliff hanger, and I wonder just how the people that saw this in the theatre reacted when the movie was over, were they as disappointed in the ending as I? And some of the cast members was in Monty Puthon's Spamalot that is currently playin on broadway in New York. King Arhtur (Graham Chapman) and his knights has all sorts of adventures, along with searching for a Holy Grail. So I think that maybe in less you are prepaid to be disappointed, or like movies that end in a cliff hanger, you will like this one, I haven't seen this movie since it was returned to the video store, it was a rental copy, but I just don't seem intrested in all of adding this to my dvd collection, or any time soon. And maybe if the ending could have been better, then I might have given this 5 stars, but it will just have to get 4 stars from me, but you can give this movie whatever you like, I don't know if at this point, that I will see any of the other Monty Python movies, but I had to ask myself, just who is this Monty Python? I confess I don't know who this character is, or why do this films, has his name in the title, since he doesn't even appear in the movie, or at least this one.'

:|

:lol: That review is so stupid so that it must be a joke.... I seriously hope its a joke or a 8 year old kid who wrote it.

Damn you Aardvark. Ripping yarns have just been ordered at play.com :wink:

EDIT: Where do your order your stuff ? Looks like you use Amazon alot but of course you have the codefree dvd player and can get the region 1 stuff.

For me Play is just too cool. The dvds are maybe 30-40% cheaper in England ( Sometimes more ). And i dont have to pay for the delivery :wink: Its a cool site

Do you have the - Looks Like a Brown Trouser Job - dvd?

Anyway i couldn´t resist it so play got yet another order

I have got a lot of suppliers I can use thru my shop here, but yeah sometimes, I do have to use Play or Amazon too. Especially for this kind of Python stuff!:wink:

yimou said:
Do you have the - Looks Like a Brown Trouser Job - dvd?

Anyway i couldn´t resist it so play got yet another order

No actually - let me know what it's like!:wink:

Ripping Yarns on the way then? Good man! U cant go wrong with them! There is commentary by Palin and Jones on each ep too!:drool:

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom