FAO - Monty Python Fans.... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2005, 08:23 AM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:54 AM

I love the scene in that ep, when Pither is in Prison, and the guards cant shoot him properly! And in typical Python fashion, u cant see how he escapes and returns to Devon, because of the 'SCENE MISSING' link!

That was the episode where Jones n Palin started to enjoy writing the longer material, rather than the sketch format. Something that was enjoyed a lot more during the 4th Series, post-Cleese.
Do u like that series btw Yimou? I know that some do, some dont. I like a couple of the eps, 'Mr Neutron' and the last one especially. But the 'Golden Age Of Ballooning' ep....that does get on my tits a little these days!

And yeah, the little Palin-Walkabout part on that Life Of Python DVD is just great! 1 place he goes to is Poole in Dorset, where he filmed the 1st 'IT'S Man' coming out of the sea, and staggering up to the camera! He submerges himself, suit and all, in the water - and acts out the part again!

And yeah I know what u mean about the Region thingy on the player...I actually had to go and buy a new one JUST to be able to watch the Python DVD's!

Old 07-20-2005, 08:39 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:54 AM
The cycling sketch is just hilarious

About the 4th series then thats where you´ll find most of the material i dont like. Its still a great season but unless Cleese had returned for a 5th series then they made the right decision to end the series and move into films.

The Palin walkabout sounds hilarious. I found some really cheap codefree dvd players and maybe its time to invest in one.

Have you read Chapmans A Liar's Autobiography?. I have it but it was actually a bit too weird for me. He is all over the place with his lies and contradictions which makes it difficult to read IMO.

Old 07-20-2005, 08:45 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Yeah I have it im my collection!
You're right, there were moments when it all seemed 'really' wacky! I liked reading the bit about when he went out on the piss and met some guy in Torquay - the town next to where I live! The gay bar is still there and frequented by many every weekend. There should be some memorabilia in there of the late Graham!

....maybe there is - i've never been in there....

Hopefully with the release of these 2 products, they might consider giving Eric Idle's 1st post-python series an airing too, 'Rutland Weekend Television'. I'd really like to see that. I've only ever seen 1 clip, but I know it was supposed to have been panned by the critics - hence no 2nd series!

Nothing could top Fawlty Towers tho imo, for post-python classics. Tho Ripping Yarns does come tantalisingly close!
Old 07-20-2005, 08:53 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I wonder what kind of memorabilia they could have in the gay bar I read another book about Chapman and it was just hilarious. I have it but i dont remember the name of it. It have a few sections about Chapman and Keith Moon. What a pair

I have also only seen a few clips from the Rutland Weekend Television. I would love to see it too. It always pains me to see that Eric ended up in the Brooke Shields sit-com Suddenly susan. Just a waste of talent.

Do you have the Rutles album ? Its just great.
Old 07-20-2005, 08:58 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Yep - and the DVD of the film!

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about purchasing the sequel that's recently come out. But judging by the reviews ppl are giving it....I think i'll stay clear!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...v=glance&s=dvd
Old 07-20-2005, 09:00 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I only found out recently that he made a sequal. I would love to see it but you are right that the reviews are not the best i have read.

What about this dvd
John Cleese On How To Irritate People - http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=s...2&title=105564

Have you seen it ??.
Old 07-20-2005, 09:24 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Oh yes!
Another pre-python classic! Palin / Cleese / Chapman in this one. Along with Connie Booth too. An early creation on the Parrot sketch is here, with Chapman trying to bring his car back to the garage, and Palin trying his best to be as unhelpful as possible!

"Oh yeah, a lovely motor that - never have any problems with these....but if u have any trouble then bring it in"

"Well I HAVE had trouble and I HAVE brought it in!!"

Def. worth a purchase if u dont have that one.....
Old 07-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Aardvark... You are bad news for my wallet. Just ordered it from play

I´ll get a bit soppy on you now, but its really cool that you dig the Pythons so much If it wasn´t for you then i would have had more money in my bank account
Old 07-20-2005, 09:29 AM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

LOL, just remembered that when i first started getting into the Pythons i actually tried to pitch some comedy ideas to a big Danish tv channel. They replied that it was too silly !!!

I guess truly silly things will only be allowed on tv when its a re-run of the Pythons
Old 07-20-2005, 09:32 AM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
Aardvark... You are bad news for my wallet. Just ordered it from play

I´ll get a bit soppy on you now, but its really cool that you dig the Pythons so much If it wasn´t for you then i would have had more money in my bank account
Sorry about that buddy! But there's nothing U2-WISE to spend it on right now eh? So the next best thing.......Python!

The BBC NEVER shows repeats of Python btw. It's like they wanna try and forget the most seminal comedy they've ever shown!
In my lifetime, they have NEVER shown a Python ep on the BBC, unless it's a clip in some other show or something.

Tragic!

Im off home now anyway - you will very much enjoy 'How To Irritate People'!
Old 07-21-2005, 03:32 AM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Was just browsing on Amazon, and I found this review on the Holy Grail....it MUST be a joke - surely?!

'I had checked this movie out earlier this summer, and the movie more or less left me with questions in my mind, and the ending of this movie disappointed me. I had no idea the film was over when it ended, and I don't want to spoil it for you, of how it ended, I thought the film contiuned on disc 2, but no, so more of less, I am disappointed of how the film ended, this film just ended on a cliff hanger, and I wonder just how the people that saw this in the theatre reacted when the movie was over, were they as disappointed in the ending as I? And some of the cast members was in Monty Puthon's Spamalot that is currently playin on broadway in New York. King Arhtur (Graham Chapman) and his knights has all sorts of adventures, along with searching for a Holy Grail. So I think that maybe in less you are prepaid to be disappointed, or like movies that end in a cliff hanger, you will like this one, I haven't seen this movie since it was returned to the video store, it was a rental copy, but I just don't seem intrested in all of adding this to my dvd collection, or any time soon. And maybe if the ending could have been better, then I might have given this 5 stars, but it will just have to get 4 stars from me, but you can give this movie whatever you like, I don't know if at this point, that I will see any of the other Monty Python movies, but I had to ask myself, just who is this Monty Python? I confess I don't know who this character is, or why do this films, has his name in the title, since he doesn't even appear in the movie, or at least this one.'

Old 07-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

That review is so stupid so that it must be a joke.... I seriously hope its a joke or a 8 year old kid who wrote it.

Damn you Aardvark. Ripping yarns have just been ordered at play.com

EDIT: Where do your order your stuff ? Looks like you use Amazon alot but of course you have the codefree dvd player and can get the region 1 stuff.

For me Play is just too cool. The dvds are maybe 30-40% cheaper in England ( Sometimes more ). And i dont have to pay for the delivery Its a cool site
Old 07-21-2005, 08:11 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Do you have the - Looks Like a Brown Trouser Job - dvd?

Anyway i couldn´t resist it so play got yet another order
Old 07-21-2005, 08:36 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

I have got a lot of suppliers I can use thru my shop here, but yeah sometimes, I do have to use Play or Amazon too. Especially for this kind of Python stuff!
Old 07-21-2005, 08:40 AM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yimou
Do you have the - Looks Like a Brown Trouser Job - dvd?

Anyway i couldn´t resist it so play got yet another order
No actually - let me know what it's like!

Ripping Yarns on the way then? Good man! U cant go wrong with them! There is commentary by Palin and Jones on each ep too!