Fantasy Author Robert Jordan has died...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

elevated_u2_fan

Blue Crack Supplier
Wheel Of Time Author Robert Jordan Dies
Sad news from the world of fantasy literature. Robert Jordan, known best as the author of the “Wheel of Time” series of books, died on the afternoon of Sunday September 16th after more than a year battling cardiac amyloidosis. The news comes from a message left on the author’s blog.

The site says, “”It is with great sadness that I tell you that the Dragon is gone. RJ left us today at 2:45 PM. He fought a valiant fight against this most horrid disease. In the end, he left peacefully and in no pain.” Funeral arrangements will be posted later on the blog, and for fans interesting in sending his family their best wishes, the comments section on Jordan’s there seems to be the place to do it.

Robert Jordan was a prominent voice in modern fantasy literature. The author’s massive Wheel of Time series has long been a top seller, and with his death he leaves the series’ twelfth book unfinished and his story painfully incomplete. It was the twelfth book which was supposed to end the series, finally finishing the story of Rand al’ Thor and his friends, a finale in the making since the publishing of the first WoT book “The Eye of the World” back in 1990.

As someone who’s read all eleven books, this hurts. Not just because now we’ll never know how 17 years worth of character development ends, but because Jordan seemed like a genuinely good person who loved what he was doing and loved his fans. Right now my thoughts are with his family and friends, but from now on whenever I look at his spot on my bookshelf it’ll always be to selfishly wonder what might have been.

http://www.cinemablend.com/celebrity/Wheel-Of-Time-Author-Robert-Jordan-Dies-6375.html

One of my favourite fantasy series, it has gotten more convoluted in the later books which made me lose interest slightly but it's a shame that he never got to finish it...

They were my favourite books when I was 11/12 (just before The Fires of Heaven was released, at which point I stopped reading them). I remember the "About the author" bit in the back of the books said something about he'd continue writing until they nailed his coffin shut. :(

Eventually, I would like to return to these books. I only got six or so books in, but college sort of got in the way of the time I had for them. It will be bittersweet to read them knowing that he'll never get to finish the story. I selfishly pray for someone to pick up his working notes and finish it.

I've read up to book ten, but like elevated I lost interest, too many plot lines and characters...I still enjoyed at least up to book 8 immensely...and I did plan to finish the series...they were my favourite books for so long, shame he's gone no:sad:

Hopefully someone will finish the story off for us though, I guess it would be the best kind of memorial.

Apparently, according to his blog, he shared plot details and notes with his family so that someone else could finish the book if he passed.

I just hope it doesn't end up in the hands of some hack fantasy writer. Maybe it would be a good job for Terry Brooks?

I stopped reading after books 8, 9 and 10 were the exact same book. Is Pipping still looking for his wife? Is Mat still lucky? lol, worst super power ever. Does Rand still argue with himself? Is Egwene still in Exile? He was up to book, what 13 - and I bet the answer to all of them is "yes". Did Moraine ever come back?

Oh well, sad he died. Really sad he won't get to finish. The first 4 or 5 books totally dominated everything else out there. Now only George RR Martin's Ice and Fire interest me.

You know I think every single female character in the books annoyed the hell out of me...except for the short haired girls name who I can not remember:hmm:

I liked Min too. :cute: But yeah, the rest of em were pretty annoying come to think of it. Moraine but was ok, but she got owned early on. Nynaeve, Egwene, the Princess chick, Faile, the Nice Moons girl, Aviendah...yeah, they were all annoying. Strange.

The more I think about it, almost all the characters were annoying; male and female...

Even the characters I liked did stupid things and had faults and irritating tendencies. I think that was part of the appeal though because it made them believable...

Jordan's greatest weakness imo was that he had a hard time controlling his stories. It's like once he started he couldn't end it so he just kept piling on more and more characters and side plots...

I have heard that is the same case with the Conan novels he wrote. There were over 20 of them apparently and they just kept going and going...

Min's the one, she was cute, or well at least the version of her I had in my head:wink:

I agree with all of the above...the side stories never seemed to add to the whole, and they took too much away from what were meant to be the main characters...I may re-read though, this thread has stoked my interest once again!

Back
Top Bottom