Fake, Nigeria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I live in Adelaide, capital of South Australia. I grew up on a peninsula about 200km from there, with no particularly large towns to speak of. The town I was in currently has a population of 900, which is larger than a lot of others in the area.

I know someone who moved from here to Adelaide, because her mother was originally from there. Seems like a nice city. That was a pretty small town you grew up in, even though you say it was larger than most of the towns in that area.

Things are a bit confused for me. You see, the Kapiti Coast is now essentially an outer suburb of Wellington. All the time I lived there, it was a separate and much smaller group of semi-rural seaside townships, but I nonetheless think of myself as a Wellingtonian too - it took just an hour to reach the central city, and 20 minutes to reach identifiable northern suburbs. So I think of myself as both from the city and the country, if that makes any sense.

I also moved somewhat gradually. When I was 10, Mum and I moved to the Gold Coast, which is really just a city of suburban sprawl. There's no serious central business district or anything, just a lot of low density housing, and I was somewhat accustomed to that anyway. It was just busier and kept going for much longer. And now I'm in inner Melbourne, which is similarly busy but more dense.

OK, so I could write an essay here. I waffle on a lot of crap sometimes! :lol: But I do far prefer the quietness of the country, and I have definitely become more nostalgic for it over time. I didn't start to become seriously nostalgic for New Zealand and its countryside until I was about 17 and it grows stronger every year.

Lol you could sure write an essay about that :wink: But seriously, I get your point. I guess when you grow older over the years, sometimes nostalgic feelings can grow stronger and can make you crave to go back where you came from. I myself like the quietness of some rural sites, but also like the dynamic vibes from cities and urban areas. Right now I live in a place that is something in between. Don't know where I end up later, as I enjoy both countrysides and urban areas. Guess we can only know in time where life will take us, right?

Well that's one good thing that came out of it, then. I think it's important for a country to create its own identity instead of following the 'lead' of supposedly powerful other countries. I believe Holland has lost much of her identity as well, since it's conforming so much to other countries nowadays.

Political history can be pretty dull, yes, I've had some courses in it. Real history seems so much more exciting. I always wanted to be an archaeologist when I was younger, a sort of female Indiana Jones I guess :reject: But that was more fantasy than something I really want to do, although history still keeps interesting me a lot.

You think so? A lot of people here have a very clearly defined idea of Holland as opposed to other countries, though it's a nauseatingly stereotypical idea. At least it's something! I can imagine in the 1970s, most foreigners would've been all "New Zeawhat? Where?" I think we've managed to put ourselves on the map now. The 1980s was a time of really big change for us. Some of it very good, some of it very bad. Now I just hope we don't go back to slavishly following the US ...

I've always admired archaeologists. I consider them to be the real historians! People like myself doing modern history have it very easy compared to them. We've got volumes of information, government records, and if something happened in the last century, probably people to interview about it too! Archaeologists? Their ability to find information and draw conclusions about ancient civilisations simply astounds me.

Whoa. :crazy:

Who knew Foodnetwork.com had a vortex as strong as this thread? :crack:

You think so? A lot of people here have a very clearly defined idea of Holland as opposed to other countries, though it's a nauseatingly stereotypical idea. At least it's something! I can imagine in the 1970s, most foreigners would've been all "New Zeawhat? Where?" I think we've managed to put ourselves on the map now. The 1980s was a time of really big change for us. Some of it very good, some of it very bad. Now I just hope we don't go back to slavishly following the US ...

I've always admired archaeologists. I consider them to be the real historians! People like myself doing modern history have it very easy compared to them. We've got volumes of information, government records, and if something happened in the last century, probably people to interview about it too! Archaeologists? Their ability to find information and draw conclusions about ancient civilisations simply astounds me.

Our country was like that, up until the last few years, that is. Now politics here and thoughts about governing simply make me feel mad. We aren't strong anymore or don't dare to take decisions. Though there's a wave of people and ideas that tend to make you think otherwise again in the last year or so. Let's hope that trend continues and that we'll be a strong country again like before!

You're right about what you said about archaeologists, the things they find about lost civilisations and ancient history is astounding. Whenever I visit an old ruin site or a temple or something I always get this adrenaline spark which makes me want to know all about the area I'm in at that moment and about the people who lived/live there.

Lol you could sure write an essay about that :wink: But seriously, I get your point. I guess when you grow older over the years, sometimes nostalgic feelings can grow stronger and can make you crave to go back where you came from. I myself like the quietness of some rural sites, but also like the dynamic vibes from cities and urban areas. Right now I live in a place that is something in between. Don't know where I end up later, as I enjoy both countrysides and urban areas. Guess we can only know in time where life will take us, right?

I think part of it is that with time, the bad memories get displaced by the good. I try to avoid idealising my childhood, but I feel the more I read about the history of the place, the more my gut feelings are confirmed.

Yeah, inner urban areas have their own good qualities too. I love how convenient a lot of things are, especially in a well-planned city like Melbourne where you can escape to parkland very easily if the city's getting to be a bit much. And obviously the public transport nerd in me has a lot to enjoy! :wink:

I often wonder where I'll end up. I'll be in Melbourne for the foreseeable future, but I hope to go back to New Zealand at some point in my life. Whether that's in 5 years or 50 years though, who knows!

Seriously, I'd love to go on an excavation. It's quite sad that a lot of potential treasure troves in Greece have been covered over with modern buildings. Hell, you hear of everyday people finding remnants of Attic vases in their gardens and such.

I mean, I'd love to do it basically anywhere, but I'd mainly/predictably prefer to go on an archaeological dig in Greece or Asia Minor, just because I might actually be able to come up with my own conclusions if I discover something. :drool:

... probably not too many people would drool at that thought.

Seriously, I'd love to go on an excavation. It's quite sad that a lot of potential treasure troves in Greece have been covered over with modern buildings. Hell, you hear of everyday people finding remnants of Attic vases in their gardens and such.

I mean, I'd love to do it basically anywhere, but I'd mainly/predictably prefer to go on an archaeological dig in Greece or Asia Minor, just because I might actually be able to come up with my own conclusions if I discover something. :drool:

... probably not too many people would drool at that thought.

I agree, sometimes I wonder what the ground there still holds for us to find! I'm drooling at that thought though, so don't worry :wink:

Our country was like that, up until the last few years, that is. Now politics here and thoughts about governing simply make me feel mad. We aren't strong anymore or don't dare to take decisions. Though there's a wave of people and ideas that tend to make you think otherwise again in the last year or so. Let's hope that trend continues and that we'll be a strong country again like before!

You're right about what you said about archaeologists, the things they find about lost civilisations and ancient history is astounding. Whenever I visit an old ruin site or a temple or something I always get this adrenaline spark which makes me want to know all about the area I'm in at that moment and about the people who lived/live there.

I admit, the idea I have in my head of the Netherlands politically is a country that tends to push the limits, often on the left side of politics but also to the right, rather than one bogged down in indecision. I suppose every country goes through its phases, though. New Zealand in the 1930s was a world-leader in establishing the welfare state, but I now think we've let things slide and fallen behind the leading European countries in that regard.

Just about any historical site does that to me. And coming from New Zealand, I'm sure things that wouldn't seem very old to you are positively ancient to me! When I was in Boston, I went to the Boston Commons - a parkland that was founded BEFORE ABEL TASMAN EVEN SIGHTED NEW ZEALAND! It amazes me that in the so-called "New World", I can go to parkland that was established before Europeans even knew my country existed. I haven't been to Europe yet, but I'm sure it will blow my mind.

I'm sorry but something's come up and I have to go again now. Hopefully we'll talk soon again. In the meantime, enjoy your weekends! :wave:

I know someone who moved from here to Adelaide, because her mother was originally from there. Seems like a nice city. That was a pretty small town you grew up in, even though you say it was larger than most of the towns in that area.

Adelaide gets paid out a lot by the Melburnians here, and in some ways I think rightfully so. But it's still one of two of my hometowns, it's where I was born, and I've grown attached to many places in it. And even though spending a week in Melbourne recently opened my eyes a bit on what an Australian city should be like, I still love that Adelaide is surrounded by beautiful green hills, I just love the natural area, but I sometimes wish there was more to do in the city itself, and I think there are many more important ways to improve it.

Seems a few non-Australians here know people from Adelaide, which is pretty cool. See, I'd love to move to the Netherlands sometime, myself. :wink:

Adelaide is just too easy to pay out! But I really have nothing against the place, and want to go there. Seriously thinking about doing the Overland at some point this year.

And ouch, phanan, that doesn't sound like a riveting way to spend your day.

You know what bugs me? Good songs with really bad titles. Case in point: Bill And Ben by Catherine Wheel. And probably half the songs U2 released in the eighties.

You know what bugs me? Good songs with really bad titles. Case in point: Bill And Ben by Catherine Wheel. And probably half the songs U2 released in the eighties.

U2 aren't all that bad with titles. Maybe a couple here and there, but not "half the songs" in the 80s.

Haha, you're completely right with BAB. That's a great song, but I overlooked it a long time simply because of the title. There are a lot of terrible titles from shoegaze albums, actually.

U2 aren't all that bad with titles. Maybe a couple here and there, but not "half the songs" in the 80s.

Let's take just one album. Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, 4th Of July, Bad, Indian Summer Sky, Elvis Presley And America. That's over half the album.

Fantastic album. I think it goes on for too long in some places, but overall, you can't go wrong with it. I think it's better than Tommy, but it doesn't compare with Who's Next, although a lot of other people seem to think it does.

I've not yet listened to Tommy, but I have Who's Next, which is awesome.

Let's take just one album. Pride, The Unforgettable Fire, 4th Of July, Bad, Indian Summer Sky, Elvis Presley And America. That's over half the album.

How are The Unforgettable Fire, 4th of July, and Bad poor titles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom