Fake, Nigeria Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And railways. :drool:

Oh wait, that's just me.

Yeah the railways part that's just you :wink: But when I think about it, I have a nostalgic feeling about railways and trains when I picture those old, romantic landscapes like in Ireland or Switzerland :hmm: Okay now I'm nostalgic about that too.

Hey, MJ, I just noticed your custom user title. I don't suppose it is in any way a reference to this little incident? I studied that last semester at university, and funnily enough it came up in conversation when I saw the ophthalmologist on Wednesday.

No, it's not a reference to that. It has something to do with a song, a story, and my past. More positive references than the sinking of that ship, to be quite honest :wink:

Yeah the railways part that's just you :wink: But when I think about it, I have a nostalgic feeling about railways and trains when I picture those old, romantic landscapes like in Ireland or Switzerland :hmm: Okay now I'm nostalgic about that too.

Awesome, I've claimed a victim or something. :lol:

I'm nostalgic for all the country railway lines in rural New Zealand that closed before I was born but that I've looked at thousands of photographs of. Not just because I'm a railfan, but because some of them went through the most beautiful countryside, and it'd be nice to stand on the balcony of an old railway carriage while rattling through the backblocks of New Zealand.

Awesome, I've claimed a victim or something. :lol:

I'm nostalgic for all the country railway lines in rural New Zealand that closed before I was born but that I've looked at thousands of photographs of. Not just because I'm a railfan, but because some of them went through the most beautiful countryside, and it'd be nice to stand on the balcony of an old railway carriage while rattling through the backblocks of New Zealand.

You did claim a victim, or something :lol:

Rural New-Zealand looks really nice, from the pictures I've seen of it anyway. Beautiful countrysides equal nostalgic, romantic MJ :reject:

Hmm that sounds really good :drool: I don't like the coconuts either, but apart from those, that recipe sounds really good to try sometime!
The theme for the potluck is tex-mex, so I figure a Bobby Flay one is a good recipe to try.

No, it's not a reference to that. It has something to do with a song, a story, and my past. More positive references than the sinking of that ship, to be quite honest :wink:

I expected something like that, but I had to ask. The bombing of the Rainbow Warrior was easily one of the biggest things to ever happen in New Zealand's history (it is, after all, the only terrorist attack ever committed on New Zealand soil, and by an ally no less!), and since my field is New Zealand history ... well, you can see why it's prominent in my mind. Though I'm more into the 19th century history than the last couple of decades.

I expected something like that, but I had to ask. The bombing of the Rainbow Warrior was easily one of the biggest things to ever happen in New Zealand's history (it is, after all, the only terrorist attack ever committed on New Zealand soil, and by an ally no less!), and since my field is New Zealand history ... well, you can see why it's prominent in my mind. Though I'm more into the 19th century history than the last couple of decades.

I've heard about that incident, somewhere deep in my mind a history lesson from the past is popping up :hmm: Did you study anything similar to history or anything? Or is it just a field of interest to you?

You did claim a victim, or something :lol:

Rural New-Zealand looks really nice, from the pictures I've seen of it anyway. Beautiful countrysides equal nostalgic, romantic MJ :reject:

Beautiful countrysides equal Axver with notepad in one hand to write whatever the atmosphere evokes, and camera in the other hand to take photos of it. Some of my best childhood memories are going on bushwalks through the foothills of the Tararua Range of mountains just north of Wellington. Thick green woodlands, mountain streams bouncing over rocks, that sort of thing.

I should totally try to find somewhere at least similar to that around Melbourne ...

Beautiful countrysides equal Axver with notepad in one hand to write whatever the atmosphere evokes, and camera in the other hand to take photos of it. Some of my best childhood memories are going on bushwalks through the foothills of the Tararua Range of mountains just north of Wellington. Thick green woodlands, mountain streams bouncing over rocks, that sort of thing.

I should totally try to find somewhere at least similar to that around Melbourne ...

Somehow I felt you could be kind of a nostalgic guy at times, even though we haven't talked a lot yet. Your descriptions made it seem more plausible :)

NZ = most beautful place on earth. Between your and gluey's pics, Ax, that's my opinion. I wish I was there!

I've heard about that incident, somewhere deep in my mind a history lesson from the past is popping up :hmm: Did you study anything similar to history or anything? Or is it just a field of interest to you?

I studied the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior as part of an essay on state terrorism. It's pretty rare, if not unique, in being a terrorist attack authorised by a government (and when I say government, I mean former French President Mitterand) on an ally. You can dig up other examples of one government covertly acting against another during peacetime, but I can't think of any quite like this, where the two governments were actually not just at peace, but allies.

Since my university doesn't actually offer any courses specifically on New Zealand history, I have to work it into other courses where it's thematically appropriate. My passion for Kiwi history was initially evoked when I did a course called Struggle for Universal Human Rights and did an essay on the suffragists in New Zealand, since it was the first country to give women the vote.

Somehow I felt you could be kind of a nostalgic guy at times, even though we haven't talked a lot yet. Your descriptions made it seem more plausible :)

Yep. When you're an aspiring historian, I think you need to have some nostalgia! :lol:

NZ = most beautful place on earth. Between your and gluey's pics, Ax, that's my opinion. I wish I was there!

Some photos I've seen of the fjords in Norway look pretty unbelieveably stunning too - but then New Zealand has its own fjords down in the southwestern South Island! I actually haven't been to Fjordland myself, it's the one big chunk of New Zealand I've never visited, but I plan to rectify that in the next year or two if I can cobble together enough people to do a bit of a driving holiday around the country.

It's incredibly tempting to move back home, but Melbourne just suits me so well that I don't really see myself leaving.

I studied the bombing of the Rainbow Warrior as part of an essay on state terrorism. It's pretty rare, if not unique, in being a terrorist attack authorised by a government (and when I say government, I mean former French President Mitterand) on an ally. You can dig up other examples of one government covertly acting against another during peacetime, but I can't think of any quite like this, where the two governments were actually not just at peace, but allies.

Since my university doesn't actually offer any courses specifically on New Zealand history, I have to work it into other courses where it's thematically appropriate. My passion for Kiwi history was initially evoked when I did a course called Struggle for Universal Human Rights and did an essay on the suffragists in New Zealand, since it was the first country to give women the vote.

Interesting, I should read into that a bit more, because I don't remember a lot of the incident anymore.

I've always been interested in history as well, but now it's become more of a hobby of mine since I chose the field of mediastudies. Although, there's sometimes a lot of history topics in that, too.

Some photos I've seen of the fjords in Norway look pretty unbelieveably stunning too - but then New Zealand has its own fjords down in the southwestern South Island! I actually haven't been to Fjordland myself, it's the one big chunk of New Zealand I've never visited, but I plan to rectify that in the next year or two if I can cobble together enough people to do a bit of a driving holiday around the country.

It's incredibly tempting to move back home, but Melbourne just suits me so well that I don't really see myself leaving.

Wasn't it difficult for you to move from such a rural place to a city? I mean, they say when people have grown up in countrysides, the yearning to go back to rural places never fades and even grows stronger with the years.

Wasn't it difficult for you to move from such a rural place to a city? I mean, they say when people have grown up in countrysides, the yearning to go back to rural places never fades and even grows stronger with the years.

I know it's directed at Ax, of course, but though I spent the first 18 years of my life living far away from the city, I was still exposed to it often enough, so it wasn't that big a deal to move to a more bustling area. I guess we'll see how things go, though.

I know it's directed at Ax, of course, but though I spent the first 18 years of my life living far away from the city, I was still exposed to it often enough, so it wasn't that big a deal to move to a more bustling area. I guess we'll see how things go, though.

Yeah I guess it's different when you get exposed often to more urban areas. The change seems less big then. Where do you live now?

Interesting, I should read into that a bit more, because I don't remember a lot of the incident anymore.

I've always been interested in history as well, but now it's become more of a hobby of mine since I chose the field of mediastudies. Although, there's sometimes a lot of history topics in that, too.

It was a bit of an unpleasant incident, but I think it really helped New Zealand come into its own and create its own identity. Until the 1980s, we'd really just largely followed the UK and the US. In the 1980s, we stood up to the US and told them they couldn't send their nuclear warships into our territorial waters, no matter how much they think they should be allowed to, and then of course the French go and bomb Greenpeace in Auckland and we took a stand there too.

I initially just did History at university as something to give my Political Science studies a bit of context ... then I found all my PolSci essays were on political history, and the political theory side of things is horribly dull, so I've basically defected to History.

Sad Punk,

What did you think of the VAST album?

Ah, this is the same deal as with other albums that have been emailed to me fairly recently - since I've been mainly either away from a computer or back home at Minlaton interchangeably during these holidays, I haven't been able yet to put the album on my iPod, but since I have the opportunity now and you've reminded me, I'll get to that now. I know it sounds like a longwinded excuse, but as Ax has painfully discovered, it's pretty much true. :lol:

Yeah I guess it's different when you get exposed often to more urban areas. The change seems less big then. Where do you live now?

I live in Adelaide, capital of South Australia. I grew up on a peninsula about 200km from there, with no particularly large towns to speak of. The town I was in currently has a population of 900, which is larger than a lot of others in the area.

Ah, this is the same deal as with other albums that have been emailed to me fairly recently - since I've been mainly either away from a computer or back home at Minlaton interchangeably during these holidays, I haven't been able yet to put the album on my iPod, but since I have the opportunity now and you've reminded me, I'll get to that now. I know it sounds like a longwinded excuse, but as Ax has painfully discovered, it's pretty much true. :lol:

lol, it's ok, take your time :wink:

It was a bit of an unpleasant incident, but I think it really helped New Zealand come into its own and create its own identity. Until the 1980s, we'd really just largely followed the UK and the US. In the 1980s, we stood up to the US and told them they couldn't send their nuclear warships into our territorial waters, no matter how much they think they should be allowed to, and then of course the French go and bomb Greenpeace in Auckland and we took a stand there too.

I initially just did History at university as something to give my Political Science studies a bit of context ... then I found all my PolSci essays were on political history, and the political theory side of things is horribly dull, so I've basically defected to History.

Well that's one good thing that came out of it, then. I think it's important for a country to create its own identity instead of following the 'lead' of supposedly powerful other countries. I believe Holland has lost much of her identity as well, since it's conforming so much to other countries nowadays.

Political history can be pretty dull, yes, I've had some courses in it. Real history seems so much more exciting. I always wanted to be an archaeologist when I was younger, a sort of female Indiana Jones I guess :reject: But that was more fantasy than something I really want to do, although history still keeps interesting me a lot.

Things are a bit confused for me. You see, the Kapiti Coast is now essentially an outer suburb of Wellington. All the time I lived there, it was a separate and much smaller group of semi-rural seaside townships, but I nonetheless think of myself as a Wellingtonian too - it took just an hour to reach the central city, and 20 minutes to reach identifiable northern suburbs. So I think of myself as both from the city and the country, if that makes any sense.

I also moved somewhat gradually. When I was 10, Mum and I moved to the Gold Coast, which is really just a city of suburban sprawl. There's no serious central business district or anything, just a lot of low density housing, and I was somewhat accustomed to that anyway. It was just busier and kept going for much longer. And now I'm in inner Melbourne, which is similarly busy but more dense.

OK, so I could write an essay here. I waffle on a lot of crap sometimes! :lol: But I do far prefer the quietness of the country, and I have definitely become more nostalgic for it over time. I didn't start to become seriously nostalgic for New Zealand and its countryside until I was about 17 and it grows stronger every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom