Face it America, Oasis are Coming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matthew_Page2000

War Child
Ok, so maybe not.
It's been a few years since the Oasis craze hit its zenith so I figure now is a safe time to ask...
What the heck was the deal with the Oasis phenomenom anyway?

They were a nice band. They wrote catchy, anthemic songs and somehow the British press and a rabid fanbase spun those modest achievements into a hyperbolic frenzy.
You know, with headlines like:
OASIS ARE THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME.
OASIS: THE BEST BAND SINCE THE BEATLES
NOEL GALLAGHER: BETTER THAN LENNON?

It's been a couple of years since assorted lunatics from the Isles tried to convince me that Liam was a better singer than Bono or that Noel was a better guitarist than Hendrix and a better songwriter than Dylan or McCartney.

Are the Oasis fans properly chastened yet or are they still true believers?
I'm a big enough of a man to admit that I had Pearl Jam pegged all wrong. In 1994 I was convinced that they were the second coming of the Who and were on their way to equalling U2's brilliance.
A decade later and I'm forced to admit that Pearl Jam are (and were) an extremely good but somewhat derivative band with a potent live show. Certainly nothing to sneeze at but not the equals of the Who, the Beatles or U2.

Do Oasis fans feel similarly or are they still hanging on?

Yours,

A curious American.

I'm an American, and in 1996-97 Oasis was my favorite band. I still think "(What's The Story) Morning Glory" is one of the great rock/pop albums of all time. "Definitely Maybe" is great, and I even liked the much-maligned "Be Here Now" very, very much.

I think what really hurt them in the States is the loutish behavior of the Gallagher brothers, especially Liam. He misbehaved too much, people figured he was a jerk, and didn't want to give Oasis a chance.

I'm not much of a fan these days. I bought "Heathen Chemistry" on sale at Best Buy and I still haven't listened to it.

I can take about 30 minutes of them until my ears start bleeding. Liam's voice really bugs me.

They haven't had much commercial success in America but they shouldn't underestimated. They write great lyrics and the music is incredible.

Heathen Chemistry is really underrated......worth a listen for She Is Love, The Hindu Times and Born On A Different Cloud....that cd will always remind me of Austin Tx....

i have 3-4 records of them, they are good but they were highly taken wrong in past times, especially with the beatles rip off story. they were making noise, they were hitting each other everyday, they were drunk everyday, they were on tabloids covers everyday for some scandals, and they were playing good music. since a couple of years things have changed, they seem to be less quarrelsome and more mature, but i think they're a line under compared to they're past productions. the last 2 albums weren't so big, i'm curious if we will ever hear another morning glory album again! ......returning to the beatles story, i actually find they sound better than beatles, much better, beatles did a lot songs which are really awful!!....but songs which are really great, too.... :wink:

Matthew_Page2000 said:
OASIS ARE THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME.
OASIS: THE BEST BAND SINCE THE BEATLES
NOEL GALLAGHER: BETTER THAN LENNON?

It's been a couple of years since assorted lunatics from the Isles tried to convince me that Liam was a better singer than Bono or that Noel was a better guitarist than Hendrix and a better songwriter than Dylan or McCartney.

:laugh: Talk about overratedness.

Quite possibly the most boring live band I've seen, certainly considering all the hoopla around them.

Last edited:
It's amazing how bands like Oasis ever got big in the first place. To be fair, the same question could be asked about many other bands, I suppose.

I have a HUGE Oasis CD collection. Seen them live a few times... boring to watch, great to listen to. Brit pop sort of went through a phase here in the US... and like all phases... it phased out. From what I understand.. Oasis are still as popular in the UK, just not so much here anymore. I'd love for them to put out another album.

OASIS ARE THE GREATEST ROCK BAND OF ALL TIME.!

They were not even the best band to come out of manchester

The stone roses, James, Joy division, the charlatans, the smiths were all much better bands..

overhyped and overrated

I've just gotten into them recently and I happen to love all the abums I've got so far. :happy:

I guess I'm more worried about that than about hype or the British press? :scratch:

Elvis they're putting out another album next spring.

Last edited:
i love them and i think they are still putting out some great music. true it's not on teh scale of their first 2 albums but still much better than a lot of the crap coming out nowadays.

and with bands like linkin park and nickelback so popular here in NA bands like oasis will never make it big....or a least not in the long term.

Elvis said:
I have a HUGE Oasis CD collection. Seen them live a few times... boring to watch, great to listen to. Brit pop sort of went through a phase here in the US... and like all phases... it phased out. From what I understand.. Oasis are still as popular in the UK, just not so much here anymore. I'd love for them to put out another album.

i'll agree. i've seen them live once. in all fairness, it was a week after seeing U2 live, so it's hard to compare, considering the emotional high i was coming down from.

i believe their new album is coming out sometime next spring.

Re: Re: Face it America, Oasis are Coming

U2girl said:

:laugh: Talk about overratedness.

Quite possibly the most boring live band I've seen, certainly considering all the hoopla around them.

Rubbish. At their peak, they were definitely the best band around at that time...the first two albums were pretty much perfect and they had about a dozen classic b-sides from that era too!

mikal said:

i'll agree. i've seen them live once. in all fairness, it was a week after seeing U2 live, so it's hard to compare, considering the emotional high i was coming down from.

i believe their new album is coming out sometime next spring.

In an interview a couple of days ago, Noel stated they have 60 songs demoed for the the next album! I have also heard Rick Rubin might be involved in a producing capacity. :)

Oasis get thumbs down from festival-goers

Oasis have been voted this summer’s worst festival band by music fans after a lacklustre performance at Glastonbury.

The Mancunian rockers left some festival-goers disappointed after a set where they barely spoke to the crowds.

In the NME Festival Poll, 42% of those who voted for their worst band of the summer picked Oasis. In second place was The Darkness (26%), then The Strokes (17%) and The Libertines (15%).

:hmm:

Re: Re: Re: Face it America, Oasis are Coming

Black Math said:

Rubbish. At their peak, they were definitely the best band around at that time...the first two albums were pretty much perfect and they had about a dozen classic b-sides from that era too!

If by best band you mean "biggest" stars, then yes I agree. However none of those claims I quoted in my previous post is true, not by far. There's plenty of bands/songwriters/singers that are better than Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Liam Gallagher, not just those that were mentioned, their contemporaries as well.

I had my Oasis phase, now I can't really listen to them much. The first album is great cause it's very straightforward and no bullshit. Nice riffs and lyrics and interesting melodies. Not as amazing as Noel likes to say it is though. I have all the albums and like them all to a certain extent but some songs are a bit too cheesy for me.

Rick Rubin producing an Oasis album would be interesting, hopefully it will be better than the last one (a good album but their worst).

I got to admit I always like that kind of arrogant rock star attitude Noel has. People hate them for that but I quite like it, I don't take it TOO seriously so I can enjoy it! :yes:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Face it America, Oasis are Coming

U2girl said:

If by best band you mean "biggest" stars, then yes I agree. However none of those claims I quoted in my previous post is true, not by far. There's plenty of bands/songwriters/singers that are better than Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Liam Gallagher, not just those that were mentioned, their contemporaries as well.

I was referring to your "overrated" remark and condescending laughter smiley. :) At that point in time they were a really great band, better than anyone else by some distance I would say.

TheBrazilianFly said:
I had my Oasis phase, now I can't really listen to them much. The first album is great cause it's very straightforward and no bullshit. Nice riffs and lyrics and interesting melodies. Not as amazing as Noel likes to say it is though. I have all the albums and like them all to a certain extent but some songs are a bit too cheesy for me.

Rick Rubin producing an Oasis album would be interesting, hopefully it will be better than the last one (a good album but their worst).

I got to admit I always like that kind of arrogant rock star attitude Noel has. People hate them for that but I quite like it, I don't take it TOO seriously so I can enjoy it! :yes:

The arrogant attitude is great...makes a nice contrast to the simpering, say-nothing fools fronting many a popular band right now..:yes:

Apparently announced yesterday:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040912/1/3n2l

Rock fans rate Oasis worst act of Britain's festival season

Oasis, who set the soundtrack of the "cool Britannia" era in the 1990s, have been voted worst band of the festival season in Britain after their lacklustre performance at Glastonbury.

Forty-two percent of the 10,000 festival fans who took part in an online poll for the New Musical Express (NME) newspaper deemed the Manchester band to be worst they heard at the past summer's many rock and pop fetes.

Oasis, known for such hits as "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back in Anger," were so dismal at Glastonbury, Europe's biggest outdoor festival, that even organiser Michael Eavis conceded he was "a bit disappointed."

*doesn't care, actually :shrug:*

C ya!

Marty

i like them.

good band? ya.

incredibly awesome? nah. better than 90% of whats out there, though

i think the gallagher bros. are hysterical.
it's rock 'n roll.......
sure they are derivative but they also expand on their influences and have their own unique sound and style.
even heathen chemistry has some catchy tunes.
i am interested to hear what they do on their next CD.
i mean i would put my interest in them at a level of 1 next to a level of 10 interest in what u2 are doing.
but 99 percent of the bands out there my interest in what they are doing is ZERO :)

Back
Top Bottom