Face it America, Oasis are Coming - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-13-2004, 04:49 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Elvis
I have a HUGE Oasis CD collection. Seen them live a few times... boring to watch, great to listen to. Brit pop sort of went through a phase here in the US... and like all phases... it phased out. From what I understand.. Oasis are still as popular in the UK, just not so much here anymore. I'd love for them to put out another album.
i'll agree. i've seen them live once. in all fairness, it was a week after seeing U2 live, so it's hard to compare, considering the emotional high i was coming down from.

i believe their new album is coming out sometime next spring.

Old 09-14-2004, 06:27 AM   #17
The Fly

Local Time: 03:18 PM
Re: Re: Face it America, Oasis are Coming

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

Talk about overratedness.

Quite possibly the most boring live band I've seen, certainly considering all the hoopla around them.

Rubbish. At their peak, they were definitely the best band around at that time...the first two albums were pretty much perfect and they had about a dozen classic b-sides from that era too!

Old 09-14-2004, 06:29 AM   #18
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by mikal

i'll agree. i've seen them live once. in all fairness, it was a week after seeing U2 live, so it's hard to compare, considering the emotional high i was coming down from.

i believe their new album is coming out sometime next spring.

In an interview a couple of days ago, Noel stated they have 60 songs demoed for the the next album! I have also heard Rick Rubin might be involved in a producing capacity.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:00 AM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:18 PM

Oasis get thumbs down from festival-goers

Quote:
Oasis have been voted this summer’s worst festival band by music fans after a lacklustre performance at Glastonbury.

The Mancunian rockers left some festival-goers disappointed after a set where they barely spoke to the crowds.
Quote:
In the NME Festival Poll, 42% of those who voted for their worst band of the summer picked Oasis. In second place was The Darkness (26%), then The Strokes (17%) and The Libertines (15%).
Old 09-14-2004, 08:21 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie

For 1 whole month..i just listened to Oasis..That was couple of years ago
Old 09-14-2004, 09:39 AM   #21
genius of compression
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 11:18 AM
Hmmm I have that Glastonbury set and I think it's great.

neutral @ interference.com
Old 09-14-2004, 09:41 AM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: Re: Face it America, Oasis are Coming

Quote:
Originally posted by Black Math

Rubbish. At their peak, they were definitely the best band around at that time...the first two albums were pretty much perfect and they had about a dozen classic b-sides from that era too!
If by best band you mean "biggest" stars, then yes I agree. However none of those claims I quoted in my previous post is true, not by far. There's plenty of bands/songwriters/singers that are better than Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Liam Gallagher, not just those that were mentioned, their contemporaries as well.
Old 09-14-2004, 11:40 AM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 01:18 PM
I had my Oasis phase, now I can't really listen to them much. The first album is great cause it's very straightforward and no bullshit. Nice riffs and lyrics and interesting melodies. Not as amazing as Noel likes to say it is though. I have all the albums and like them all to a certain extent but some songs are a bit too cheesy for me.

Rick Rubin producing an Oasis album would be interesting, hopefully it will be better than the last one (a good album but their worst).

I got to admit I always like that kind of arrogant rock star attitude Noel has. People hate them for that but I quite like it, I don't take it TOO seriously so I can enjoy it!
Old 09-14-2004, 01:48 PM   #24
The Fly

Re: Re: Re: Re: Face it America, Oasis are Coming

Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl

If by best band you mean "biggest" stars, then yes I agree. However none of those claims I quoted in my previous post is true, not by far. There's plenty of bands/songwriters/singers that are better than Oasis/Noel Gallagher/Liam Gallagher, not just those that were mentioned, their contemporaries as well.

I was referring to your "overrated" remark and condescending laughter smiley. At that point in time they were a really great band, better than anyone else by some distance I would say.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:49 PM   #25
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by TheBrazilianFly
I had my Oasis phase, now I can't really listen to them much. The first album is great cause it's very straightforward and no bullshit. Nice riffs and lyrics and interesting melodies. Not as amazing as Noel likes to say it is though. I have all the albums and like them all to a certain extent but some songs are a bit too cheesy for me.

Rick Rubin producing an Oasis album would be interesting, hopefully it will be better than the last one (a good album but their worst).

I got to admit I always like that kind of arrogant rock star attitude Noel has. People hate them for that but I quite like it, I don't take it TOO seriously so I can enjoy it!

The arrogant attitude is great...makes a nice contrast to the simpering, say-nothing fools fronting many a popular band right now..
Old 09-14-2004, 01:56 PM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Apparently announced yesterday:
http://sg.news.yahoo.com/040912/1/3n2l

Quote:
Rock fans rate Oasis worst act of Britain's festival season

Oasis, who set the soundtrack of the "cool Britannia" era in the 1990s, have been voted worst band of the festival season in Britain after their lacklustre performance at Glastonbury.

Forty-two percent of the 10,000 festival fans who took part in an online poll for the New Musical Express (NME) newspaper deemed the Manchester band to be worst they heard at the past summer's many rock and pop fetes.

Oasis, known for such hits as "Wonderwall" and "Don't Look Back in Anger," were so dismal at Glastonbury, Europe's biggest outdoor festival, that even organiser Michael Eavis conceded he was "a bit disappointed."
*doesn't care, actually *

C ya!

Marty
Old 09-14-2004, 05:29 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

....yet they'll still be on the cover of NME when the new album comes out.
Old 09-14-2004, 07:47 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 10:18 AM
i like them.

good band? ya.

incredibly awesome? nah. better than 90% of whats out there, though
Old 09-15-2004, 05:53 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I like Oasis, although I think that Definitely Maybe is ridiculously overpraised. Derivative, hell yes, but with good catchy songs too.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:04 PM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 11:18 AM
i think the gallagher bros. are hysterical.
it's rock 'n roll.......
sure they are derivative but they also expand on their influences and have their own unique sound and style.
even heathen chemistry has some catchy tunes.
i am interested to hear what they do on their next CD.
i mean i would put my interest in them at a level of 1 next to a level of 10 interest in what u2 are doing.
but 99 percent of the bands out there my interest in what they are doing is ZERO