Extras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tilli

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Apologies if this thread has already been started but what do people think of Extras? I saw the first episode last week and thought it was very funny.

Particularly love the bit where Ben Stiller goes "Do you know who I am?" to which the Ricky Gervais character goes " I can never remember is it Starsky or Hutch?" Ben replies " Is that supposed to be funny" to which Ricky replies " I don't know, you were in it, you tell me." Genius.

Only seen the ads but not watched the programme yet. Loved the bit where the extras are sitting around:

EXTRA: You never been in The Bill? What about Casualty? You ever been in casualty?

RICKY: Of-course!

ANOTHER EXTRA: the TV programme?

RICKY: well, no...

Looks good though.

It is on BBC2 on Thursday's (about 9pm I think) for anyone who wants to watch it. If you liked The Office then I supsect you will like Extras as it is along similar lines.

If the rest of the series is as good as the first episode then it will be well worth watching.

i missed the first eposide but seen the second last night.
really funny show!!
in particular i loved the bit with barry out of eastenders and the conversation about ross kemp being in spandau ballet!

comic genius!! :lol:

Missed the first but watched the second last night, I love the Gervais take on life.
Gob smacked by how good Ross Kemp was I thought he was superb.
I think this one's going to improve as it goes on, although we need more jokes about Reading, there was a line about Wokingham last night but it's not enough.

I love Ricky Gervais but I don't think Extras is half as strong as the Office and not as funny as his stand up work. Still makes me laugh though!
Tarquin do you live in Reading?

{paintedroses} said:
I love Ricky Gervais but I don't think Extras is half as strong as the Office and not as funny as his stand up work. Still makes me laugh though!
Tarquin do you live in Reading?

I don't live in Reading, but I'm just down the road and know the town really well, so as much as love the place I do enjoy hearing people take the piss out of it.
Are you from the Greater Reading area?

I thought that there would be more Reading jokes this week, what with it being Kate Winslet, who not only hails from Reading but is also married to someone from Reading. The show had another line about Wokingham this week so I'm a bit concerned that Gervais is trying to disguise his roots and make himself look more posh.

I like extras but you're right it's not a patch on his stand up which is outstanding and much under rated.

I live in Basingstoke.. or Amazingstoke as I like to call it:wink:

You think Reading gets the piss taken out of it?!? Basingstoke has a terrible reputation lol

{paintedroses} said:
I live in Basingstoke.. or Amazingstoke as I like to call it:wink:

You think Reading gets the piss taken out of it?!? Basingstoke has a terrible reputation lol

That's very creepy, I actually live in Basingstoke, I'm just a bit wary of giving away details on the net. However I shouldn't put myself at risk if I say that I live in a part that starts with a K and ends with a T.
People can be very prejudiced about Basingstoke and if you go and see stand up it doesn't matter where in the UK you are someone will take the piss out of Basingstoke. I remember when I started at Uni I got talking to a girl from Wokingham and she apologised when I said I was from Basingstoke and looked down her nose at me for the rest of the year!

Wow small world.. I live in a part that starts in a W and ends in a Y!

My friend went to a performing arts boarding school in Hertfordshire and you can imagine all the "posh" people's reaction when she announced where she's from! We have a rule that its fine for us to take the piss out of Basingstoke cos we come from here but no one else has the right to slag us off lol .. we have been known to get quite aggressive about that!:wink:

I don't think its that bad anyway, I can think of a lot worse places to live.

Anyone see tonights episode?! :eek: Les Dennis naked!! :eek:

It was pretty funny though, with that psycho 29 year old child star wannabe whatever.. and I love the relationship Andy has with Maggie, they're adorable!

{paintedroses} said:
Wow small world.. I live in a part that starts in a W and ends in a Y!

My friend went to a performing arts boarding school in Hertfordshire and you can imagine all the "posh" people's reaction when she announced where she's from! We have a rule that its fine for us to take the piss out of Basingstoke cos we come from here but no one else has the right to slag us off lol .. we have been known to get quite aggressive about that!:wink:

I don't think its that bad anyway, I can think of a lot worse places to live.

Such a cliche but yes what a small world.

It's a quality town, a lot better than some other places I've lived in and most people who are unpleasant about it usually haven't ever been.

In the Crap Towns book last year it said that going West Basingstoke had the tallest building between London and New York! That's a sign of a quality town in my view.

It's like your family it's OK take the piss out of them but you can get high and mighty if someone else does it. Mind you people don't tend to tell jokes they just instantly think they're above you.

It could be worse though, we could both live in Tadley!

Back to extras though another quality guest appearance from Les Dennis but still no lines about Reading I don't think. GRRRR.

Lol Tadley.. now theres a dump:wink:

I'm gonna keep watching out for the Reading gags with ya, theres gotta be at least one in the series, just a matter of time i guess

I have just read that the BBC are commissioning a second series of the show.

A couple of good awkward moments last night - the bit with the black doll and the bit at the end with SMJ - but on the whole I'm having a hard time getting into this show. I'm just not finding all that funny. :shrug:

I only caught the second half of this show last night but I have to admit it was nowhere near as funny as the first episode.:(

Some of the cring-worthy momments were still good though!

Oh well, I have just taken delivery of Animals and Politics on DVD -I have seen Animals before and it was very funny! Yeah!

best episode yet last night. that scene over the meal was piss funny. the more millman is like brent, the funnier it gets. this week and last have been great. episode 3 was god, but i didn't laugh once at the first 2.

Last night's episode was really good! I especially love the scenes with Andy's agent. :lol:

Andy and Maggie are so cute too, are we gonna see another Tim and Dawn??

I don't know :ohmy: I hope not!

Barry's great in it.. he was licking envelopes for the agent last night :lol: and I love how the agent actually calls him Barry

Back
Top Bottom