Explosions In The Sky live in concert -- should I go?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FitzChivalry

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
At the bottom of the ocean, in the deepest sea
I don't know much about these guys, but does anyone know if they're any good live? I know a bunch of B&C people rave about the albums, but that doesn't necessarily mean they translate well to a live setting.

If EITS are "shoegaze"-ish, that can sometimes be kind of boring live (I'm thinking of when I saw Autolux - cool songs, but kind of boring live).

I'm also thinking of M83's "Before The Dawn Heals Us"; I LOVE the album, but I'm not sure it would be a great concert to see live.

Anyway, if anyone has any opinion of Explosions In The Sky live, please let me know. They're playing near me in March, and tickets are on sale now.

Thank you!

:D

for me is one of the best live acts 'round there, they're so passionate and such, but I think only a post-rock lover would enjoy it really hard, if you're not so much into the genre, I would think it twice

They're not shoegaze at all actually, they're post-rock. (I'm beginning to realize lots of people seem to not know the difference between these two genres, which is odd to me).

From what I hear, they're astoundingly good live. From what I've seen on Youtube or on TV, I'd agree with that. I'll be seeing them here in March.

Here's a vid of them playing a short set live in a tiny CD store. This is extremely low key for them, but you can still tell how awesome they'd be live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP2BQnjL0I

If you can find any of their set from Austin City Limits, you'll likely be impressed.

u2popmofo said:
They're not shoegaze at all actually, they're post-rock. (I'm beginning to realize lots of people seem to not know the difference between these two genres, which is odd to me).

:reject: Ok, so apparently I don't know the difference between "shoegaze" and "post-rock". Since you two, Jack and u2popmofo, are in the know could you please explain the difference to me. :D

I know some shoegaze: My Bloody Valentine, Catherine Wheel, Slowdive, Autolux and M83.

But I guess I don't know any post-rock. :reject:

Some of the more well known post-rock bands: EITS, Mogwai, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and Sigur Ros.

If you like awesome things, then go.

Have you ever seen the show or movie Friday Night Lights? They do the score.

American anthemic post-rock at its finest.

Post-rock is defined usually as using rock instruments to create non-rock sound. Essentially, in the case of EITS, they're creating more of a symphony than a rock sound, but with rock instruments.

I'm a big fan and I think you should go. :up:

the main differences between conventional rock and post-rock are the kind of symphony structure of the songs, sometimes of the albums, and post-rock bands don't use guitars to create riffs, they use it for textures and landscapes, also, sometimes, post-rock bands use to play also instruments like cello or violin, but this is not a rule, EitS, for explample has a traditional rock band line-up (guitars, bass, drums)

but yeah, some shoegaze bands are post-rock pioneers

Yes! I wish they were coming to my town on their spring tour. They're supposed to be amazing live, and their songs are so gorgeous. I'd definitely go.

Yes. That's the only answer.

Living in their home town afforded me the opportunity to see them twice last year. Both times were transcendent.

All right, I think I'm going to try to go.

I should be getting their entire discography from a friend soon. I heard a few of their songs from their MySpace page and was a bit relieved. I was kind of concerned about the mention of "metal" influence in the Wiki article I read on post-rock. I'm not into metal or even metal-tinged music.

But from what I heard, they're closer to "Sigur Ros" (whom I love) than to Pelican or other metal-slanted bands.

So, yeah. For $17 I think I'll go.

Thanks everyone!

:)

zonelistener said:
I saw them a few years ago at a small coffee shop. Enjoyed them!
About the only place I plan to listen to them: in the background :wink:

I was interested in these guys, and after checking out a couple of videos on Youtube, I think I will stick with Brian Eno. At he could mix up a record with a great pop song or two, between the 8-minute ambient songs.

Here at Interference I seem to read a lot of opinions on music based on shoddy comparisons to dissimilar artists/songs/albums and very little experience actually listening. It's sad.

Send me a link to the _definitive_ ExITSky track, and I will give it a fair chance.

Canadiens1160 said:
I was interested in these guys, and after checking out a couple of videos on Youtube, I think I will stick with Brian Eno.

I am glad that you base your musical judgements on fan video montages and bootleg recordings of cell phone quality.

Here is an abbreviated version of Your Hand in Mine (with strings) that is featured on the Friday Night Lights soundtrack. Everyone that I have ever played this song for (even folks who are not post-rock fans in any sense) have enjoyed it. It is the closest thing to a 4 minute pop song that you will ever hear from Explosions in the Sky.

http://download. ysi .com/F027B2235E442845

(replace ysi with "you_send_it"... and take out the spacing between you, send, and it)

Then again, the track might not be your cup of tea... if you think that listening to one "definitive" tune or watching transcode youtube videos is giving an artist a fair chance.

If you're still interested after one song, Yasmin The Light would be a good start into the more "verbose" end of their catalogue:

http://download. ysi .com/F027B2235E442845

that "Your Hand in Mine" version (from the FNL OST) it's breath taking

and EitS have more Metal than another post-rock bands, but I define the sound of this guys as "the classic post-rock sound", thay're good to start into the genre

I wish I could see them, but it seems they're only doing the West Coast. Hurts even more as a huge fan of them and post-rock in general, as the last time Mogwai played Boston I was out of town :(

powerhour24 said:
I wish I could see them, but it seems they're only doing the West Coast. Hurts even more as a huge fan of them and post-rock in general, as the last time Mogwai played Boston I was out of town :(

I feel your pain. I had to give up tickets to see both Mogwai and Sigur Ros in the same week for a business trip a few years back. Last year I also had to sell my ticket to Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem as I was out of town for work as well. I'm just praying that nothing comes up for Explosions. I MUST see them!

I would also like to say that I agree with everything Pinballzwizzer and JackintheBoxer wrote.

Speaking of bands like Explosions In The Sky and Mogwai...I have a question for post-rock fans. Why do so many of you despise progressive rock? Prog rock fans usually like post-rock (I'm one such fan), but I have seen lots of pure post-rock fans labelling instrumental prog as pretentious, overly long, boring, etc. It just doesn't seem to make sense.

I mean, there is almost absolutely no difference between a song like "Careful With That Axe Eugene" by Pink Floyd and "Like Herod" by Mogwai. Both instrumentals feature driving bass lines, quiet drums, and then a sudden explosion of noise. More importantly, both are completely awesome. And yet, I saw a blog once where a Mogwai fan totally ripped early Pink Floyd to shreds. It really confused me.

Anyway, sorry for going off topic a bit there. It's just something that I've been wondering about for a long time.

Last edited:
I don't really have anything vehemently against prog-rock its just not as nice to listen to for me, post-rock is beautiful, prog rock is impressive demonstrations of music theory.

u2popmofo said:

I feel your pain. I had to give up tickets to see both Mogwai and Sigur Ros in the same week for a business trip a few years back. Last year I also had to sell my ticket to Arcade Fire/LCD Soundsystem as I was out of town for work as well. I'm just praying that nothing comes up for Explosions. I MUST see them!

I would also like to say that I agree with everything Pinballzwizzer and JackintheBoxer wrote.

Ouch, that must have been the most painful business trip in history.

powerhour24 said:
post-rock is beautiful, prog rock is impressive demonstrations of music theory.

By that generalisation, am I to assume that you don't believe there is any beautiful prog music? :scratch:

Edit: To get back on topic, that version of Your Hand In Mine was incredible. :up:

Last edited:
powerhour24 said:
I don't really have anything vehemently against prog-rock its just not as nice to listen to for me, post-rock is beautiful, prog rock is impressive demonstrations of music theory.

I guess that's kind of how I feel about prog too. But, I am definitely open to suggestions for beautiful prog rock that is similar to post-rock like EITS or This Will Destroy You.

I'm not a big prog-rock fan, but I like some bands, songs or albums, for me the main difference is the "feeling" and the execution

in prog-rock is more structurated and more tecnical, and post-rock it's more about the emotions and if you're not a skilled musician it's not big deal

Jack In The Box said:
I'm not a big prog-rock fan, but I like some bands, songs or albums, for me the main difference is the "feeling" and the execution

in prog-rock is more structurated and more tecnical, and post-rock it's more about the emotions and if you're not a skilled musician it's not big deal

Thanks for the responses, everyone. :up: I guess I kind of expected them...the old "progressive rock is just technical music" argument. While I agree that some progressive bands take the view that their music simply has to be complicated to be appreciated, that's not at all what it's about. JITB, your description of how post-rock differs from conventional rock can actually be applied directly to prog rock. The goal with progressive rock has always been to use conventional four-piece rock instruments in an unconventional way. Prog bands will often take a symphonic approach to composing, with the intention of creating a certain soundscape. Depending on the direction of the song, these soundscapes are often incredibly moving - just like post rock.

And not all prog rock involves showing off. In fact, some of my favourite progressive moments are by no means exceptionally technical. The "Celestial Voices" part of A Saucerful Of Secrets by Pink Floyd, for instance. Or "Epitaph" by King Crimson. Or "Glass Arm Shattering" by Porcupine Tree. The list goes on. I actually hate some of the more technical aspects of progressive rock. The problem is, that's what people focus on when they think of the genre. I think that's such a shame. There's so much more to progressive rock than noodling.

I mean, just watch this. It moves me to tears.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=v_PbFuMSWYA

EDIT: Shit, that one cuts off at the end. :mad: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Sf9xQnIFvOg&NR=1

EDIT 2: Sorry, I just realised how much I've derailed things now. :lol: Carry on. Since this was becoming a general post-rock thread anyway, I've a second question. What do you guys think of Electrelane? I got Axes a while ago, and I love it. :up:

Last edited:
I get your point GG, but still, in sound you can notice a difference, some post-rock bands in the early days of the genre were classified as prog, bands like Tortoise, but nowadays it's very clear that difference, even in post-rock there are too many kinds, the guys of AfterThePostRock.com tried to do a classification but it was impossible and quit, lol, because post-rock takes sounds of everyone and everything

I think someone in this forum once said that "epic guitars" in post-rock are the anti-solos of prog rock, and that says everything for me

but... yes, post-rock it's like a bastard son of prog, shoegaze, even punk and metal, a real musical orgy

best.band.ever:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tV83U4CDAx4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLskWhGWU0w

:drool:

Back
Top Bottom