Explosions in the Sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was about to start a thread about these guys a day or two ago. They're fantastic.

Hmm... Windsor for the Derby and Do Make Say Think are two bands I can think of right now.

Mogwai is pretty similar to Explosions. And, I give :up: for someone who knows about Explosions in the Sky...just so you know :wink:

No spoken words said:
Never heard of this. They're a band? What sort of music?

They do the soundtrack for Friday Night Lights.

It's a 3 piece post-rock band; all instrumental but completely epic at the same time.

"The Birth and Death of the Day" is one of my favorite songs of all-time.

I like things that are epic, let alone completely epic.

I might have to check them out.

I've never read FNL, nor seen the film or the show, but one day I shall. One day.

You will enjoy both, hopefully.

I haven't seen the FNL series yet either, but I really loved the movie.

I usually do not watch sports movies or read sports books...I like to keep sports separate from my other passions. There are exceptions, of course.

Major League. :up:

Really, Explosions, I can't get enough of this band. I push them on my friends like crack.

I've been getting more and more thanks to the competition.

I love epic guitar. It's the perfect opposite to the annoying, over-done guitar solo.

EITS are good, but I favour the likes of Long Distance Calling and God Is An Astronaut, not to mention the post-metal stylings of Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, Pelican, etc.

Axver said:
EITS are good, but I favour the likes of Long Distance Calling and God Is An Astronaut, not to mention the post-metal stylings of Russian Circles, Red Sparowes, Pelican, etc.

I don't think I have ever liked a band you have recommended ... I'm hoping there is a first time for everything!

God is an Astronaut, they're amazing, have one of the best albums of this year ("Far From Refuge")

do yourself a favour and listen to Yndi Halda, they're like Godspeed You! Black Emperor (best-band-ever) meets Explosions in the Sky

there is also this band Caspian, their first LP was released this year ("The Four Trees") but their previous EP ("You Are The Conductor") it's much, much better

EITS is a band from Texas, there are so many great bands with similar sound there: This Will Destroy You worth a listen, plus: they have a insane drummer

and, mates from the lovely Temporary Residnce Ltd. we have Mono (the japanese ones), like EITS but heavier... they toured with Russian Circles

LemonMacPhisto said:

It's a 3 piece post-rock band; all instrumental but completely epic at the same time.

they're four guys :wink:

Quentin_Deve_22SEP02.jpe

amazing, really amazing live band, so passionate

Last edited:
Oh yes, Caspian's EP is incredible. I don't know how I failed to mention that.

I second the Yndi Halda and This Will Destroy You mentions too. Another good one is Jakob from New Zealand. Their soundscapes are gorgeous and very evocative of their native Hawkes Bay region.

I'm seeing them again in November.

Thank the lord I live in their hometown. Explosions aplenty around these parts. I started a thread awhile back after I saw them in April. I'd be interested to see said thread.

Axver said:
Oh yes, Caspian's EP is incredible. I don't know how I failed to mention that.

I second the Yndi Halda and This Will Destroy You mentions too. Another good one is Jakob from New Zealand. Their soundscapes are gorgeous and very evocative of their native Hawkes Bay region.

of course, Jakob is fantastic, I don't know if it is correct call them "post-metal"...

in Australia there is a huge post-rock movement, one of the seminal bands is from there (Dirty Three), but with similar sound to EITS I can think about: This Is Your Captain Speaking

there is also this great band Laura, but they're more like GY!BE

Back
Top Bottom