Explanation please - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2005, 07:32 PM   #1
Acrobat

Local Time: 06:03 AM
Explanation please

Confession: I am old enough to be some of you people's... erm.. aunt...yeah, that's it.

Although I am an extremely COOL aunt. My regular listening includes Green Day, Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Interpol, and Arcade Fire, in addition to our boys.

So cut me some slack as I am forced to ask the following:

Emo. Please give me a definition and point me towards bands that are representative of the genre.

Your Auntie PopDaisy thanks you.

Old 08-28-2005, 07:49 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 12:03 PM
Re: Explanation please

Quote:
Originally posted by PopDaisy
Confession: I am old enough to be some of you people's... erm.. aunt...yeah, that's it.

Although I am an extremely COOL aunt. My regular listening includes Green Day, Franz Ferdinand, Killers, Interpol, and Arcade Fire, in addition to our boys.

So cut me some slack as I am forced to ask the following:

Emo. Please give me a definition and point me towards bands that are representative of the genre.

Your Auntie PopDaisy thanks you.

I believe "Emo" was originally intended as shorthand for emotional hardcore. Rites of Spring, a DC area hardcore band, is recognized by some as the progenitor of this movement back in the 80's. The term seems to now be used by the record industry (and magazines) to sell pain and misery to kids. It seems to be a meaningless term at this point. At least that's my opinion. Dashboard Confessional, who's opening some fall dates for U2, is currently representative of this genre.

Having said that, I do enjoy a number of bands considered, at least in part, to be linked to the 90's and current incarnation of this genre including Mineral, Jealous Sound and Death Cab for Cutie.

Old 08-28-2005, 08:13 PM   #3
New Yorker

Local Time: 05:03 AM
It's a term like "grunge" in that it's used to encapsulate a number of fairly diverse groups and that everyone who obviously fits the term (broadly defined as it is) is too cool for the word so totally denies it.

So, basically, emo is whiny, kill-yourself-because-your-high-school-girlfriend-left-you music, but any whiny, kill-yourself-because-your-high-school-girlfriend-left-you music you actually come across isn't emo, even though it obviously is, and if you call it that, you'll probably get called names.
Old 08-28-2005, 08:51 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:03 AM
Check out allmusic.com and look up emo or one of the groups mentioned. It's as good a definition as any.
Old 08-28-2005, 10:08 PM   #5
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 07:03 PM
Definition of emo: rubbish. Steer clear.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:21 PM   #6
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:03 AM
If you want to hear a very good emo album, and one of the fairly early ones, I'd check out Jimmy Eat World's Clarity. It's not a very hard album, and a pretty far cry from their two more recent releases, which are a lot more radio friendly.

Clarity also drew some comparisons to U2 at the time; you can definitely hear an Edge influence on a couple songs.

The last track is a 15 minute song that just has to be heard to be believed. Beautiful and amazing.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:22 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:03 AM
Also, Weezer's Pinkerton is considered one of the godfather albums that kind of inspired the emo sound.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Blue Crack Supplier

palace_hero took the obvious definition.

there's good and bad stuff with every genre, though.

my advice is don't bother trying to find an explaination. in a year or two, most of these bands won't be around anymore. and the ones that are will be parading under a different flag. the word "emo" will be a thing of the past. sure, the music will still exist, as it did before this current explosion of whiny make-up wearing pop bands. but the genre will be irrelavent. kind of like nu-metal. speaking of nu-metal, remember papa roach? 4 or 5 years ago they were in the same genre as staind, godsmack, and all those other bands that would show up on "where are they now" if vh1 still did that show (do they still have that show?). but not papa roach, they've got a new album and a new look! they're EMO! coby whatshisname wears eyeliner! funny, i got the impression that nu-metal was trying to be macho as they whined about how mommy and daddy didn't love them, or their girl left. i guess we should at least be glad they shed their false pretenses. sure, if you listen to "last resort," you'll hear in the lyrics that they were always very emo. but back in 2000, 2001, it wasn't called emo. it was nu-metal. ask any 13 year old kid at a thrice show what nu-metal is, and he probably won't remember.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:59 PM   #9
New Yorker

I've gotta say, I'm kind of jealous of thirteen-year-old kids at Thrice shows now.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:11 AM   #10
Refugee

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Quote:
Originally posted by lazarus
If you want to hear a very good emo album, and one of the fairly early ones, I'd check out Jimmy Eat World's Clarity. It's not a very hard album, and a pretty far cry from their two more recent releases, which are a lot more radio friendly.

Clarity also drew some comparisons to U2 at the time; you can definitely hear an Edge influence on a couple songs.

The last track is a 15 minute song that just has to be heard to be believed. Beautiful and amazing.
JEW aren't emo, cos they're good.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:17 AM   #11
Blue Crack Supplier

palace_hero, i'm glad your here. if you weren't, how would we ever know what's good and what's bad?

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
I've gotta say, I'm kind of jealous of thirteen-year-old kids at Thrice shows now.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:44 AM   #12
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
palace_hero, i'm glad your here. if you weren't, how would we ever know what's good and what's bad?

Wow. 20,000+ posts and I've never noticed you before.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:51 PM   #13
Rock n' Roll Doggie

maybe its because your head is shoved up somewhere it shouldn't be.

Here is a link to allmusic.com's definition of Emo. Link: Click Here
Old 08-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #14
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:03 AM
Is Good Charlotte emo? I was told they were once.

Either way, they're rubbish.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:04 PM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:03 AM
I agree with typhoon's definition.

Most of my friends are into emo.