explain uefa to me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoomerang96

ONE love, blood, life
i love euro football, but it's awfully hard to follow the difference between all the different leagues.

explain in great detail eufa to me.

then please explain in great detail the difference between that and the champions league.

i'm familiar with national leagues, that's pretty straight forward.

thanks.

all i know about uefa is this:

it has 3 main competitions: euro 200X, uefa champions league and the uefa cup. there are others but those 3 are the biggies.

euro 200X. that's all the european national teams that compete for the best in europe.

the champions league which is the top teams/biggest domestic european teams (i guess) from each league. so for example england has arsenal, liverpool, man u and chelsea. here's how they determine eligibilty for the champions league.

Eligibility
The UEFA Champions League is open to each national association's domestic champions, as well as clubs who finish just behind them in the domestic championship table. The number of clubs that can be entered by an association and their entry point in the competition depends on the association's position in UEFA's coefficient ranking list.

the uefa cup is a european competition for the top teams in each league below the teams that make it into the champions league. (from england there is newcastle and middlesbrough this year)

Eligibility
The UEFA Cup is open to teams finishing in leading positions behind the champions in their domestic top divisions, the winners of the national Cup competition, the winners of the League Cup competition in certain countries, the three winners of the final matches in the UEFA Intertoto Cup, and three clubs from UEFA’s annual Fair Play assessment.

so that's about it...hope this helps a bit. :shrug:

Last edited:
Sweet Tart said:
all i know about uefa is this:

it has 3 main competitions: euro 200X, uefa champions league and the uefa cup. there are others but those 3 are the biggies.

euro 200X. that's all the european national teams that compete for the best in europe.

the champions league which is the top teams/biggest domestic european teams (i guess) from each league. so for example england has arsenal, liverpool, man u and chelsea. here's how they determine eligibilty for the champions league.

the uefa cup is a european competition for the top teams in each league below the teams that make it into the champions league. (from england there is newcastle and middlesbrough this year)

so that's about it...hope this helps a bit. :shrug:

thanks!

then what about world cup qualifying? is that something else completely?

no problem.

yes....world cup is fifa not uefa.

national teams from all over the world go through qualifing rounds to get to the world cup that's in germany in 2006. right now they are playing against teams in groups from their own area of the world.

it's basically the same thing as the uefa euro competetion but it's to find the best football team in the world not just europe.

UEFA is basically the European governing body of soccer. In North America I believe it's CONCACAF (or something similar), CONMEBOL in South America and there are respective governing bodies for Oceania, Asia and Africa too. All these groups come under FIFA, which is the world governing body for soccer.

The UEFA wiki is here and can explain this in greater detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA

Lemonboy said:

It is a game that you play with your feet.....which would make it football.....but that name is already taken....by a game you play with your hands.....:confused:

i know...confusing isn't it :huh:

Too much to explain....club comps...UEFA CUP, CHMPS LEAGUE, INTERTOTO...so many

Go to uefa.com....everything is there.

Back
Top Bottom