Experimental

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
What the heck does it mean anyway?

To me, experimental just means, 'If it sucks and doesn't sell a lot, then we'll have a something to blame it on.' An experiment in the wrong direction. A fall back, if you will. Excuses.

I take, as my example (poor as it may be), Sting, who has had a lucrative solo career. Sure, he's had some hits, but the rest--sort of unforgettable. His latest--'experimental,' in his own words. So basically, Sting tells us, if you don't like it, you don't have to. It's not his fault.

Then again, experimental can be good. The Beatles - Sgt Pepper's LHCB (which, I admit, had I heard back then, might have hated). U2 - Achtung, Baby. Granted, it's my favourite CD, but I'm oh-so-sure that there are some fans of the 80s who would disagree with this and say that this 'experiment' failed.

Then there's the damned-if-you-do, damned-if-you-don't mentality. If bands/artists don't evolve, they're critisized for staying the same and not changing with the times.

So, then again, maybe experimental just means a new sound, or trying to reach out to a different audience. Maybe it's just trying to keep up with the way music is going. or maybe it's taking an entirely new path.

What do you think?

You're right! It does seem like artists use the "experimental" excuse if an album fails in their standards (like U2 did with POP especially in the US...but I really don't want to get into that right now!)

But to me experimental would be random noises with no sense of direction, the washing machine comment then is a good example. But if artists want to take a new direction they should be able to stand behind it not just blame it on the supposed experiment!

On a somewhat different note, I just read Duran Duran are teaming up with a hip hop producer...... :lmao:

noise made on laptops and other electronic staticy sorts of things. there's a guy at the radio station here who's really into that sort of thing, i went for piza with him once and we listened to this cd that was (as far as i could tell) radio static with random beeps and blips here and there.

i wish i could remember the name of the guy who's music it was. he's put out these 100 disc box sets full of this stuff. the guy from the radio station saw it as prolific genius...sounded like radio static to me, but whatever floats your boat.

radio static with intermitent beeps.

there must be something i'm missing, kind of like modern art.

look at this orange square on this white background!
oooooh! aaaaaaaaaah!
:shrug:

i might as well put on a radio station that doesn't work, and set off my alarm clock.

buuuuuuzzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzzzzzbeepbzzzzzzzzzbzzzzzzzzzz
zzbzuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzblipbuzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs
sssssssssssssssssssssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzbbbssss
sssszzzzzzzzzzzzzzhhhhshhshhssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhbz
zzzzzzzzzboopbzzzzzzzzzzzzzsssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhz
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom