exceptions to the one rule re. albums that I have

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salome

you are what you is
an album should preferably be 40 minutes long
I can deal with an album clocking in at 50 minutes
but - please - no albums that are longer than an hour

of course there are a few exceptions to this rule but not that many

only ones I can think of are:
* Ryan Adams - Gold
but that's just because this one is so insanely good

* Captain Beefheart - Trout mask replica
because you really need at least 15 minutes to get into it

pfffft

name me 5 other albums that last over an hour that doesn't have at least 2 fillers on it that you just as rather wouldn't have in your collection .... and I still won't agree with you

hooray for 35 minute albums!

1. Red Hot Chill Peppers - By The Way - 68mins - no fillers
2. Dave Mattews Band - Under the Table and Dreaming - 63mins - no fillers
3. Dave Matthews Band - Crash - 68mins 53sec - no fillers
4. Beastie Boys - Ill Communication - 59:39, just misses
5. Bruce Springsteen & the E Street Band - The Rising - 72mins 59 secs - no fillers

I know many of you do not like Dave, but those are both amazing albums. I grabbed 9 CD's these where 5 of them that I checked.

under the table and dreaming is a fantastic album.

i don't like short albums because then i have to get up sooner and find a new cd.

dropkick muprhys album blackout is 46 minutes...no filler there.

Last edited:
an album should be as long as the medium could hold the music... e.g. 80 minutes worth of songs on CD. (Get my money's worth! $10- great! $20-Better be good :mad: )

BUT, no song should be over 5-6 minutes, unless it's really beautiful and well done.

I find the problem is more with song length. I get bored very easily if a song goes for longer than about 3 mins and hit the >>| button.
:bored:

:up:

I'm bored so

songs over 7 min I like:

1 Giant Leap feat. Michael Stipe/Asha Bosle - The Way You Dream
Blur - Tender
Chemical Brothers feat. Richard Ashcroft - The Test
Damien Rice - Eskimo
Iron Maiden - Hallowed Be Thy Name
Joe Strummer - Yalla Yalla (well it's 6:55)
Mazzy Star - So Tonight That I Might See
New Order - loads
Richard Ashcroft - Check The Meaning
Saint Etienne - How We Used To Live
Sigur Ros - Olsen Olsen
Sonic Youth - Teen Age Riot
Suede - The Asphalt World
Suede - The Chemistry Between Us
The Stone Roses - I Am The Resurretion
The Stone Roses - Fools Gold
Velvet Underground - Sister Ray
The Verve - Rolling People
Neil Young - Cortez The Killer
Neil Young - Like A Hurricane

I'd rather have a longer album, even if one or two songs seem a little fluffy, because it does seem like a rip off otherwise. It would be nice if there was some pricing structure in place based on the length of an album rather than everything being the standard $13.99 or whatever. But even if an album is short that doesn't mean all the songs are fantastic, Britney Spears albums are pretty short and any song that's not a single is total rubbish.

Hello,

:up: for short albums! Rubber Soul by The Beatles is 35 minutes of genius and no, I don't want more than 14 songs. The same holds for Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys. 13 brilliant songs in 36 minutes, who needs more?
Current records? Emmylou Harris with Stumble Into Grace. It's perfect with 45 minutes and I don't feel cheated it isn't filled to 70+ minutes.
I really do prefer a shorter, perfect album than a longer imperfect one. The goods songs on that one may make it good, but the bad ones prevent it from being perfect.

C ya!

Marty

Boys for Pele by Tori Amos - 70 minutes, no fillers (some fans would disagree with me but I think it's a perfect record).

Salome said:
an album should preferably be 40 minutes long
I can deal with an album clocking in at 50 minutes
but - please - no albums that are longer than an hour

of course there are a few exceptions to this rule but not that many

only ones I can think of are:
* Ryan Adams - Gold
but that's just because this one is so insanely good

* Captain Beefheart - Trout mask replica
because you really need at least 15 minutes to get into it

Trout Mask Replica is a (vinyl) double album. In the vinyl era they didn't throw them around as often as they do now (70 minute albums, etc.). Like Dylan's Blonde On Blonde or The Clash's London Calling they are 2 very good short albums bundled together. :p

C ya!

Marty

We have advances in technology to thank (or not thank) for increasing lengths of "albums".
Back when albums were distributed on vinyl, due to the limitations of the medium they were generally 40-45 minutes in length (see Marty's 2 examples, both from the pre-CD days). Therefore a lot of what might be considered "filler", tracks not quite as strong as the 10 or so that made the album were left off.
today with CDs holding more music without sacrificing sound quality, a lot of these tracks make the final cut. Additionally old work re-released on CD often gets "bonus tracks" added. This can certainly lead to a watered down overall "album" (not always, but often) because artists feel the need to fill up the alotted time the CD allows.
Was it better before...matter of opinion...but basically the fast forward button on a CD player can cure the problem.

joyfulgirl said:
Boys for Pele by Tori Amos - 70 minutes, no fillers (some fans would disagree with me but I think it's a perfect record).

I concur.

I used to hate long songs when I was younger, but now I love them. Datura by Tori comes to mind, as does Achilles' Last Stand by Led Zeppelin. I love long albums too.

Back
Top Bottom