'Exams are over - Winter break has arrived!'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Exams are over - Winter break has arrived!'

MrBrau1 said:

He's got 7 weeks off.

Wouldn't most college students get a job?

Then he can earn spending money for next semester. It'll come in handy paying for $3.50 a gallon gas, Joshua Tree remasters, condoms, pretzels, books, or that wild spring break trip.

It beats doing nothing for 7 weeks.

Are you trying to imply that college/university students don't deserve a holiday? If you are...I don't really know what to say to that. I have four weeks off. I plan on doing absolutely nothing during that four weeks. Why? Because I need the break. I have never worked so hard before in all my life. This current semester has been hell. I need to attain an average of 70% to complete an honours bachelor programme, otherwise I have minimal chances of getting into graduate school. I'm doing one of the most difficult courses offered by my university, coupled with four other courses that are also intense. I don't party. I don't go out drinking every weekend. I wouldn't have the time to even if I wanted to. I work non-fucking-stop. I get maybe two hours to myself every day. The stress is eating me from the inside out. I'm actually physically ill from it. I have to go to the hospital and undergo an upper GI series next week to make sure I don't have any stress-induced stomach ulcers.

And I should squander away the four week break that I do have to do additional work? Hah. Fat chance. I'm going to do absolutely nothing. The job can wait until the four month summer break. Like AOD said, it's never good to generalise when you don't know the individual circumstances. University isn't about drinking, frat parties, wild spring breaks and goofing off. Some of us actually do work. namkcuR probably has to do even more work because his is compressed into a shorter time frame.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: 'Exams are over - Winter break has arrived!'

GibsonGirl said:

Are you trying to imply that college/university students don't deserve a holiday? If you are...I don't really know what to say to that. I have four weeks off. I plan on doing absolutely nothing during that four weeks. Why? Because I need the break. I have never worked so hard before in all my life. This current semester has been hell. I need to attain an average of 70% to complete an honours bachelor programme, otherwise I have minimal chances of getting into graduate school. I'm doing one of the most difficult courses offered by my university, coupled with four other courses that are also intense. I don't party. I don't go out drinking every weekend. I wouldn't have the time to even if I wanted to. I work non-fucking-stop. I get maybe two hours to myself every day. The stress is eating me from the inside out. I'm actually physically ill from it. I have to go to the hospital and undergo an upper GI series next week to make sure I don't have any stress-induced stomach ulcers.

Good to know that I'm not the only one...b/c sometimes I really feel like that, when looking at my friends...

I'm with you too, GibsonGirl. I have felt my chest tightening over the last week as papers, projects and exams and the pressure to do well on all of them is taking a toll. Not to mention all the extracurricular activities that have been going on, as well as elections here in Virginia.

I won't get to enjoy my Thanksgiving break with my family because I'll be working on papers. Therefore it's not really a "break".

I'll get a 5 week winter break, and most likely my mom will make me get a job because she cares more about money than my needing time off.

Lazy my butt.

It's a holiday, EVERYONE deserves a break!! :yes:

The best thing about my job (which I've had for 5 years so I had this same job while I was also a full time student though I'm not a student now) is that I work for the school, so when the school closes over the holidays, I couldn't come in to work if I wanted to (yeah right!). As a student, it sucked a little bit b/c no work = no pay, but my rent was 1/4 the price it is now and I wasn't paying off student loans yet, so it didn't matter. Now, it rocks b/c it's a paid mandatory time off. I would not have taken this job if I had to work over holidays, that's god's honest truth. I enjoy my time off and make the most of it (I like to go somewhere to see people, or plan a trip). That's why I liked being a student and having holidays and why I like working for a school so my work calendar corresponds with the academic calendar. I do work over the summer. The job I almost got was in an elementary school and I would have worked whatever hours I wanted over their summer break :drool:

I am convinced that having a certain amount of time to myself is what got me through school and work without any major instances of depression or stress. I always worked multiple jobs while I was a full time student, but when it was a holiday, it was a holiday and I took off school AND work. You can't assume that b/c someone is taking a holiday off means they are lazy and weren't already working three jobs to begin with.

I won't have a break because I'm taking work home with me and I have 2 papers I'm going to get published in the new year that need some tweaking. I'm doing it for the money because I don't have $25K/year to pay for school. And because any job in this field pretty much locks you into an 80 hour work week so I honestly don't really know what it's like to be doing nothing. Last Christmas, I almost went insane after a weekend of sitting around so I took on a pro bono project and did that over the holidays.

But truth be told, I'd love to be able to just relax and do absolutely nothing. It sounds like a great luxury.

My advice to students on break -- don't get a job if you don't have to. Enjoy your time off now because you will be working plenty over the next 40, 50, even 60 years.

As a teacher who is also involved in extra-curricular activities I live for the 3 days off in November, the 2 weeks off in December and the 5 days off in March. And because I'm a teacher who live in a state that doesn't value education or educators, I usually have to work over the summer "vacation".

I can't believe universities give 7 weeks off - that seems a bit much. It seems like it would be more helpful/ stress-relieving if they spread that out more.

Mr. Green Eyes said:
I have exams for Dec. 13th and 14th, then I take the train home afterword. I have off from Dec. 14th to Jan. 21st. My mom wants me to get a job during this time. What I want to know is what is there to, job wise, during my break?

Not much, I'd think. Most retailers want holiday help to start right around Thanksgiving. Tell Mom to lighten up!:wink:

zuropa_fit said:

Not much, I'd think. Most retailers want holiday help to start right around Thanksgiving. Tell Mom to lighten up!:wink:

Not true, there's tons of retail work you can do. Most my friends do it over the break. I can't stand retail, but it's definitely available if you want it.

major_panic said:
Yay, finished first-year uni a few days ago, on holidays until the end of Feb 2008. :D

My first thought was "what the hell?"

But then I realized it's your summer break. Enjoy it!

How cool would it be to have Christmas in the middle of summer break, anyways? :hmm:

zuropa_fit said:
I can't believe universities give 7 weeks off - that seems a bit much. It seems like it would be more helpful/ stress-relieving if they spread that out more.

Actually spreading the holiday would be stress-relieving! But I like it more the way it is now, b/c I definetly want to travel or something like that druning my holidays!!! And during just one or two weeks off, it won't be possible to do these things. The first weeks of my holiday I need to work...someone has to pay my trips! I definetly can't work and studying at the same time, because my studying is a full time job! :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom