Everyone in NYC MUST see In the Continuum!!! (Africa/AIDS)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mabel

Acrobat
I didn't really know where to post this (mods, if there's a better place where more people may see it, by all means, move it!), but I just saw a show at the Perry Street Theatre (in partnership with Primary Stages) called In the Continuum, and it was one of the most powerful plays I have ever seen!

First, let me just post the info given in the Playbill to give you guys an idea as to what the show is about:

In the Continuum:
Place: South Central, LA and Harare, Zimbabwe

A Note from the Playwrights:
In the Continuum was born of our profound concern for the experience of black women in the present fight against HIV/AIDS. Black women currently represent the highest rate of new infections both in the U.S. and Africa and this is a story told from that perspective. Developed during our third year of NYU's Graduate Acting Program with an invaluable artistic community of students and teachers, it is a representative of the humanity behind the statistics and an invitation for more unheard stories to be brought "In(to) the Continuum." --Danai Guira Nikkole Salter
_________
These two women, Guira and Salter wrote and perform (the only two actors, playing several roles each) this powerful tour de force! I've lived in NYC for 4 years, and I try to see a play a week (though my U2 shows this semester slowed me down quite a bit) and this is one of the most powerful shows that I have ever seen. The writing is funny at times, poignant, horrifying, and INCREDIBLY POWERFUL! And the two actors are absolutely breathtaking. Guira plays Abigail, a prominant television journalist in Zimbabwe who must come to terms with the fact that she has contracted AIDS from her husband...Salter playes 19 year old Nia in LA who has contracted the disease from her boyfriend who had sex with her knowing he was infected. Both women must decide how they are going to live their lives with the disease, who to tell, what action they should take (if any) against their partners who knowingly passed the virus to them, etc.

I really can't praise this enough. If you live in/around NYC, you must see this show, if you can. Just to give you an extra (superficial) incentive, there's even a (very) brief mention of Bono in it! One of Guira's other characters was a woman working for DATA "DATA. You know: Debt AIDS Trade Africa??...Bono! The rock star?!?!"

Tickets:
http://www.theatermania.com/content/show.cfm/show/114707

NYTimes Review:
http://theater2.nytimes.com/2005/12...tml?ex=1134709200&en=329e5fc15f747283&ei=5070

:hmm: sounds interesting! i haven't been to see a play in...years. :reject: i'll add this to my list of cultural things to do- thanks for the review! :up:

No prob! It's a definite must see...I need to get back on the ball with my theater going. I've got to make the most out of my student ID while I've got it!!

mabel said:
No prob! It's a definite must see...I need to get back on the ball with my theater going. I've got to make the most out of my student ID while I've got it!!

definitely make use of it! when i was in school, we got discounted tickets to see 'Avenue Q'- which is FANTASTIC, by the way! :up:

Yeah, I've seen Avenue Q a couple of times with the lotto. I LOVE it!! "Five night stands...four...three...two...ONE-NIGHT-STAND!"

Spelling Bee is great fun too. I think tomorrow is Sweeney Todd for me (assuming there isn't a transit strike). It hasn't been doing very well, and I have a feeling it might not be around by the time I come back to school next semester.

Back
Top Bottom