ever misheard a lyric?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yertle-the-turtle

ONE love, blood, life
I know there are websites for this stuff, but have you ever personally misheard something in an amusing way?

for me, there's a line in 'let robeson sing' by the manic street preachers that goes "mccarthy poisoned through with hate". i thought it was "my coffee poisoned you with hate".

In the Whiskeytown song "Hard Luck Story"...I heard:

"I got a bucket full of tators and a hard luck story"

But the actual line is:

"I got a bucket full of tears and a hard luck story"

I am not the only one though...seriously...listen to it. I swear it sounds like Ryan is sayin' tators.

Pearl Jam's "Better Man"

What I thot:

"Can't find the butter, man."

Actual line:

"Can't find a better man."

:|

In ISHFWILF, the part about warm in the night, cold as the stone part...

I thought Bono was saying cold as the snow.

Alright. Not that funny, but my husband sure got a kick out of it when he caught me singing it wrong.

I have a long LOOOOOONG history of getting lyrics wrong, even U2 lyrics:lmao:...you got all day?

One of the earliest( the ensuing embarrassment, must have stuck in my memory)I was preschool age, singing along with Burl Ives
"A little bitty tear let me down" Mum pointed out, in front of the assembled group, I was singing "a little titty beer let me down"
dyslexic ears? I was a baby, but you have to admit...interesting concept.
I'm sure if someone bottled it , it would be a big seller.

I sometimes help hub( pre-internet days) write out lyrics for new songs the band is going to cover. There are some lyrics that defy ever being understood eg. Jimmy Barnes in "Choir Girl"..."her legs were nut brown?"??? : lmao:

Haha, I've mishead lyrics from both my favorite bands.

The only U2 lyric I've ever misheard was in "Angel Of Harlem"-instead of "Blue light on the avenue", I thought he said, "Moonlight on the avenue". And I'd always thought that was a really romantic line...then I found out what he was really saying. But it's okay, I still like the right one. :). The misheard lyric is responsible for my s/n, though.

And I misheard a Tom Petty line-in "Free Fallin'", instead of, "I'm gonna leave this world for a while", I thought he said, "I'm gonna leave this world full of wire".

My sister laughed at me like mad for that one. :|.

And Duncan Sheik's "Barely Breathing"-I always thought he'd said, "and I can't find Pierre", I was always thinking, "Who the hell is Pierre?"

This one isn't mine, but my mom thought in "Whole Lotta Love" that Robert Plant was singing, "You need Kool-Aid". My family loves to joke about that with her. :D. Now every time I hear that song I think of that line and picture a person dressed up in a Kool-Aid outfit coming out on stage with Led Zeppelin.

Angela

i'd say its happend to me heaps of times....but i can remember when i listend to 11'Oclock Tick Tock for the first time, it was a live version from somewhere....anyway
"crawl out my day" :scratch:

My sister is the queen of misheard lyrics...

her two classic lines, that she still sings, are:

Stevie Nicks Edge of 17. White Winged Dove=One Winged Dove :eyebrow: who would right a song about a one winged dove?

Or how about I Would Die For You by Prince=Apple
Dapple You(wtf is that?) The funny thing about that one is she knew the hand gestures that Prince did when he sang I would die for you and she still sang apple dapple you.

It happens to me a lot too but I can't think of anything now.

Basstrap said:
cut up like a douche in the night.............

Yep... :|

Also, the following isn't mine, but it's funnier than any of mine so I'm using it. :p

"the snipers are harder to see, my friend"

"the snapper's the heart of the sea my friend"

Ah, yes. The wise snapper. He is indeed the heart of the sea! lol.

oasis - don't look back in anger

my words:

where nobody knows if it's not ok

correct lyrics:

where nobody knows if it's night or day

unfortunately since i've been singing the wrong words to the song since 96 i can't sing the right lyrics cause i'm too use to singing what i always did. :lmao:

From Carry On Wayward Son by Kansas:

Misheard lyric:
"Carry on you will always remember,
Carry on, with the evil suspenders!"

(I was 6 at the time).

Correct lyric:
"Carry on you will always remember,
Carry on, on the eve of this madness!"

:lol:

several times...i'll type 'em out when i put the keys back in m y keybard.. that took forever to type... i'm cleaning the keyboard

the pogues "thousands are sailing"

"did you work upon the rialroads
did you rid the streets of crime
were your dollars from the white house
were they from the five and dime?"

i thought mr macgowan was saying 'daughters', not 'dollars'

i've misunderstood at least one line from pretty much every clash song that joe strummer sings. i can't help it, i love the music, joe strummer is god, but he's impossible to understand...

in garageland:

"back in the garage with my bullshit detector"

i thought he was saying "motion detector" for about a year before someone told me that i might not want to play that on the radio cos i technically can't get away with playing music with the word bullshit in it...

nearly ALL of "safe european home" i've had wrong

normally i don't really think other words are being said, i usually can't figure out what's being said at all, so if i'm singing along (which much to my friends and family's dismay, i do quite frequently) i'll usually sing some nonsensical rambling of sylables that don't really make a word...like in electrical storm...car alarm won't rencham back to sleep...didn't know it was "let you" (or "letcha") for a little bit, and now i can't seem to remember the correct words...

me=:coocoo:

50 cent
"i'm a motherfucking p-i-m-p"

i thought he was saying "i'm a motherfucking TI-83" meaning the texas instruments TI-83 model of graphing calculator

Jesse Malin's "Riding On The Subway"...I always thought he said "A man sells pencils in the heat"...but it's "A man sells pretzels in the heat"...which makes a helluva lot more sense. I was always like, pencils????? WTF??????? :der: :uhoh: :reject:

Hewson said:

Isn't that joke form Phoebe on Friends?
true, dat. :lol:
I once mistook a Clash lyric in Straight to Hell.
the part where it goes:
Photo photo graph of you....
I thought (about 10 years ago) that he was saying:
Photo photo graph fuck you.
:lmao:
Love that song though :drool:

Of course, we all have, but sometimes I find the ones I thought I heard were better than what I found them to actually be and was disappointed :huh:

IWasBored said:
50 cent
"i'm a motherfucking p-i-m-p"

i thought he was saying "i'm a motherfucking TI-83" meaning the texas instruments TI-83 model of graphing calculator

LMAO I haven't heard that song but that just made me laugh!! TI-83! LOL

U2Kitten said:
Of course, we all have, but sometimes I find the ones I thought I heard were better than what I found them to actually be and was disappointed :huh:

Judge Yourself by the Manic Street Preachers

Supposed Lyric: Blessed be the blades/blessed be the scythes
Actual lyric: blessed be the blades/blessed be the sighs

doesn't even make sense. damn those manics.

I used to make up most of REM's lyrics...they never used to print them in the album sleeves and Stipe is unintelligible much of the time :|

Was kinda fun though, wish I could remember some of the good ones before the internet came along and enlightened me.

Back
Top Bottom