Ever buy a CD from a band you've never heard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

indra

ONE love, blood, life
Have you ever bought a CD (a full CD, and not a compliation -- unless it's a best of by a particular band) of a band or musician without ever hearing the music before? If so, do you remember the circumstances, and more importantly, did you end up liking the CD?

I have three instances that stand out for me:

1) I bought The Waterboys' Fisherman's Blues because Bono had it in a list of best releases of the year whenever it was released. I bought it, and it is still my very favorite cd by The Waterboys.

2) I bought Gersey's Storms Dressed As Stars after reading a very good review of the album by Steve Kilbey of The Church. I figured if Steve liked it, it had to be good. I think I listened to nothing else for a week when that cd arrived! Love it so much I bought Hope Springs the Gersey cd released prior to Storms, and am looking for their very first ep.

3) I decided I should listen to Remy Zero, as Kilbey was working on an album with a member of that band, so I had a friend recommend an album for me. Villa Elaine was the one she picked, and it is still the one I like most (I also now have Golden Hum).

Last edited:
:yes: I bought Elbow's Asleep In The Back, now they're one of my favorite bands

i probably have. i can't think of anything off the top of my head, though.

i've bought plenty of cds by bands i know i like without ever hearing the particular songs on that album, but i'm pretty sure never an album by a band who's music in general i've never heard.

although usually now when i buy music by bands i'm not familiar with, i get that stuff used and listen at the store...

1) I bought Lost Souls by Doves - recommended by some interferencers without listening to any of Doves song..and its ok-ok..

2) I bought Beck's Sea change - - recommended by some interferencers.. and I :love: it.

These 2 albums..i had never heard the artists before..

There are many albums I had bought..in which I had not heard any song of the album... but I had heard songs ( on different albums) by those bands

Yeah, I buy loads of albums by artists I know without hearing any of the songs on the album before...most of my favorites don't get played on the radio. :( Poor, poor me. :( :( Of course, I don't really listen to the radio either. :wink:

yep done that with quite a few bands based on recommendations from people that I KNOW have good taste in music. or sometimes the cover looks cool or they are in a HMV sale or whatever...

Fiona Apple
Dave Matthews Band
Nick Drake

among others I cant think...

and i love these 3 dearly!!!

the only time i was adventurous enough to try this was, luckily for me, a no-brainer: pj harvey's rid of me. i kept hearing amazing stuff about pj but where i live, there was no way she was going to be playing on the radio or anything. so, i bought it without having heard anything by her. i was not disappointed.

Yeah. It was by an Irish band. The album was called All that you can't leave behind.

You might have heard of them.

Many many times. I bought Starsailor just because it was in meegannie's sig and she has good taste.

I bought the first Interpol CD based on good reviews and the CD cover - this was before they became popular and before I heard one lick of a song. So glad I did.

AcrobatMan said:
1) I bought Lost Souls by Doves - recommended by some interferencers without listening to any of Doves song..and its ok-ok..

same here, I bought both Doves cds a few years back because they were recommended to me, but unlike you I love Lost Souls and Doves are now one of my favorite bands. Shortly after buying the cds I was able to see them live in concert and I want to see them again. :heart:

I went to Wilco a few weeks ago and I had never heard one song by them and I really enjoyed the concert.

meegannie said:
I buy albums if they have nice artwork or if the band has a funny name. :reject:

:lol::up:

i bought the spilt 7" that the briggs and the kings of nuthin' based on reccomendations without ever hearing either band.

blood for blood - livin in exile. i don't think i listened to it before buying it, i think i bought it based completly on the fact that this guy i knew told me i'd like them. he was right. it took a a couple years for them to become one of my favorite bands...but that's one.

I've bought a lot of CDs just because of suggestions from people online (either from here or the Ryan Adams board). They have all been successes. Here are some I can think of...

Whip It On - The Raveonettes
The Remote Part - Idlewild
Black Rebel Motorcycle Club - Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Hail To The Thief - Radiohead
Yankee Hotel Foxtrot - Wilco
The Music - The Music
Baby I'm Bored - Evan Dando
Hot Fuss - The Killers

I've done this several times, I think, but the one that sticks out in my mind happened recently. I bought the Colder album, "Again," just because I liked the cover. It also had a sticker on the plastic saying what a great electronic album it was, comparing it to bands I liked. So I picked it up. Here's the cover that caught my eye:

COLDER.jpg

Turns out it's a pretty cool little album. I don't regret getting it at all.

HeartlandGirl said:
I've done this several times, I think, but the one that sticks out in my mind happened recently. I bought the Colder album, "Again," just because I liked the cover. It also had a sticker on the plastic saying what a great electronic album it was, comparing it to bands I liked. So I picked it up. Here's the cover that caught my eye:

COLDER.jpg

Turns out it's a pretty cool little album. I don't regret getting it at all.

:up:

You've made quite a few great spur of the moment purchases lately. You're right about this album though, seems to be really cool. :up:

I havent gotten something I've heard nothing of for quite a while. For some reason the first album I ever remember purchasing without having ever heard a single song of their's/his is :

Morrissey - 'Vauxhaul and I'

The other big one that ended up completely changing how I felt about music (which I bought becasue of reading good reviews on it, not because I've heard any of it):

Travis - 'The Man Who'

I've done that a few times but the only one I can rememeber right now is Coal Chamber's Dark Days. It looked good and I was in a desperate need of new bands. It's a good record but not so great.

Wilco - A.M. (Amazing!!), The Verve - Urban Hymns (Bittersweet Symphony, Lucky Man... One on the best albums ever!)

Last edited:
Huffamoose,s/t?- shouldn't have,I was young...(been pawned)

Rubyhorse,Rise- good choice

Jeff Buckley, Grace- a grower...but it grew on me big time...I went and got Sketches too..

bammo2 said:
I bought Damien Rice's 'O', based on recommendations
And I was not disappointed :D
I stiiiiiillllhaven't found what I'm looking for. I have wanted that album for some time now. I certainly have bought CD's withour having heard them first. I have a very "varied" music collection.

Indra I popped in to say...are you the person who loves Steve Kilby and The Church. I was reading about them in the newspaper yesterday, they are doing a one off performance in Brisbane and Steve is involved with a poetry festival. maybe you knwo about it already. I thought he was the bees knees ( handsome and talented) when I was younger. I was a bit shocked by his pic in the paper yesterday :sad: we're all getting so old. It was a bit of a shock to see him after all these years.
We might be aging...but still rockin' :up: :)
maybe I should have put this in your journal...I'm on a flying visit , pressed for time.
If you're not the Church fan
ignore all that ^

I've bought plenty albums like that; too many to mention all.

Fiery Furnaces - Gallowsbird's Bark - read a good review in women's magazine of all places, :) Really like it.

PJ Harvey - Rid of Me - got it after reading Rolling Stone feature on the best albums of the 90s. PJ is now my favourite artist ever.

Liz Phair - Exile from Guyville - saw it mentioned heaps in all sorts of music mags, another great buy.

Sevara Nazarkhan - Yol Bolsin - gotta be the first time I bought an album because I really loved the cover art. The music turned out to be great, too.

Sigur Ros - Agaetys Byrin - got it after reading ecstatic reviews everywhere, which turned out to be correct for once.

White Stripes - White Blood Cells - ditto.

I almost never buy CDs unless I've heard at least one song from them. The only two exceptions I can think of are:

Nick Drake - Pink Moon (never quite got into it though).

Radiohead - OK Computer (wasn't sure about it at first, have since grown to like it a lot).

Only CD's from bands which I am a true fan. I tend to be skeptical and I normally think things out before I buy. I only make exceptions if a CD has been highly reccomended.

Dillinger Escape Plan - Miss Machine

I thought it would be like indie rock

sweet jesus I was wrong (I was thinking Dismemberment Plan)

it has surprisingly grown on me though

Back
Top Bottom