Ever buy a CD from a band you've never heard?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cass said:

Indra I popped in to say...are you the person who loves Steve Kilby and The Church. I was reading about them in the newspaper yesterday, they are doing a one off performance in Brisbane and Steve is involved with a poetry festival. maybe you knwo about it already. I thought he was the bees knees ( handsome and talented) when I was younger. I was a bit shocked by his pic in the paper yesterday :sad: we're all getting so old. It was a bit of a shock to see him after all these years.
We might be aging...but still rockin' :up: :)
maybe I should have put this in your journal...I'm on a flying visit , pressed for time.
If you're not the Church fan
ignore all that ^

Ah, yeah, I'm that nutty Church fan. In fact a photo of Steve from last year is my avatar. Yeah, I know they are doing a few shows in November and that Steve is doing the Queensland Poetry festival (He just sent me a signed copy of his rereleased poetry book. :) What a sweetheart! :heart: ) He does look older now, even he calls himself "that old hippy!" A friend of mine did an interview with him where he said he finally had a gimmick, "I'm fifty, but I rock! I fucking rock, baby!" Cracked my friend up! But you know, in person he's incredibly magnetic...I mean in person he's absolutely beautiful!

Is there any way I can find out what paper that article was in? I'm on a Church board and would love to get the info out to everyone. And what did the photo did you saw look like? Was it just one of Steve? Well...I should just shut up now.... Can you PM or email me with the info? Thanks!

can't believe i forgot this:

rancid. i bought '...and out come the wolves' after my best friend gave me a rolling stone magazine with an interview with tim armstrong in it. i thought that guy seemed so cool, and i wanted to hear the band. i think it wasn't too long after my 15th birthday, so i had some money leftover so i went and bought that album, because that was the one they were talking about in the interview (the magazine was from '95 when the album came out).

more or less, my entire interest in punk rock can be traced back to buying that album. yes, 1999 was a big year for me...

although it is possible i heard 'time bomb' or 'ruby soho' before all this...if i did, i don't remember.

This thread (and HeartlandGirl saying she liked them) totally talked me into buying Hope of the States album tonight. I've yet to have heard anything of theirs!

Hopefully I'll enjoy it (I have a feeling I definitely will) :up:

PS - I really dig the album cover

indra said:

Ah, yeah, I'm that nutty Church fan. A friend of mine did an interview with him where he said he finally had a gimmick, "I'm fifty, but I rock! I fucking rock, baby!" Cracked my friend up!
Hi Indra....I love that quote...if my husband was a member of this website, I'd suggest that be his signature.
It wasn't a very big article, just gave the dates for the gig and the poetry festival. Steve did say he is excited about the band's upcoming 25th anniversary.."Maybe we could play at Uluru or in a forest or something."

25 +25 =50
my hub was 50 on Wednesday,and I loved the Church when we first met. I saw The Church at a outdoor concert near here "Rocktober" the year we got together. Steve was playing a paisley guitar. :cute: I'll never forget that.
I would love to be at the gig at The Zoo, for old times sake, but I can't afford the $$$$.
The article was titled "Steve Returns To Earth" October 3, 2004
try the www.thesundaymail.com.au

back to your normal program :) :wave:

I bought Throwing Copper after only hearing Lightning Crashes once on the radio. Never regretted it. Bought The Science Of Things without having heard any songs. Never regretted that either.

I bought The Shins--Chutes Too Narrow and Interpol's first album based on the opinions of fellow music geeks here whose opinions I value greatly.

:wink:

I was not dissapointed with either.

cass said:

Hi Indra....I love that quote...if my husband was a member of this website, I'd suggest that be his signature.
It wasn't a very big article, just gave the dates for the gig and the poetry festival. Steve did say he is excited about the band's upcoming 25th anniversary.."Maybe we could play at Uluru or in a forest or something."

25 +25 =50
my hub was 50 on Wednesday,and I loved the Church when we first met. I saw The Church at a outdoor concert near here "Rocktober" the year we got together. Steve was playing a paisley guitar. :cute: I'll never forget that.
I would love to be at the gig at The Zoo, for old times sake, but I can't afford the $$$$.
The article was titled "Steve Returns To Earth" October 3, 2004
try the www.thesundaymail.com.au

back to your normal program :) :wave:

It is a hilarious quote. That bit about him being excited about the band's upcoming 25th anniversary is hilarious too, especially since he's been saying rock and anniversaries don't go together whenever we (various fans) mention it. Hmmm... he did just have a big birthday celebration...perhaps he decided milestones aren't so bad after all! :)

I wonder what happened to that guitar? Sounds great!

Last edited:
I'm a stinge so I'll only buy something I know I'm going to like.

I bought these two EPs once because of there titles. I had heard so much about this artist but never once heard any music. Well the title was 'Love is Hell' and that's what I was going through at the time so I bought them, fell in love and now own every other album of his.

But then he had to schedule a tour date in Chicago when I have to be out of town.:madspit:

thanks for the reminder. :shifty:

i bought sigur ros, bright eyes, starsailor and josh rouse without ever having heard their stuff.

AcrobatMan said:
1) I bought Lost Souls by Doves - recommended by some interferencers without listening to any of Doves song..and its ok-ok..

2) I bought Beck's Sea change - - recommended by some interferencers.. and I :love: it.

These 2 albums..i had never heard the artists before..

There are many albums I had bought..in which I had not heard any song of the album... but I had heard songs ( on different albums) by those bands

Lost Souls is a bit Radio-headesque, The Last Broadcast by Doves is much much better. In that album they really come into their own...and have a very different sound. I'm looking forward to their upcoming album....I'm hoping and praying that they open for U2 on the next tour!

Hmmm...well, Belle and Sebastians "The Boy with the Arab Strap" and Jeff Buckley's "Grace" are a few for starters. Usually I listen to a song or two before I buy it though, but if a friend of mine reccomends it I'll usually take their word.

Back
Top Bottom