Ever been to/heard of the Winchester House???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

She Is Raging

Refugee
I'm would love to be able to go see this place sometimes. I guess it is now basically known as one of the most haunted house in the country. Basically - it was bought by the widow of the man who owned the rights to the Winchester Rifle back in the early 1900s. After her baby and her husband died, she was told by a medium that her family had a curse. All the spirits that had died as a result of these rifles were angry at her and wanted revenge. In order to save her own life - she was told that she needed to build a house where all these spirits could live, and that as long at she continued building she would be allowed to live.
Apparently the house is quite amazing. It has I believe about 160 different rooms. It includes things likes stairs that go nowhere, and doors that open up to walls. All sorts of things like this were built to confuse the spirits so that the couldnt find Mrs. Winchester. She also was said to do things such as have a dinner prepared and served for 12 guests nightly in the ballroom (the ghosts I guess!!) and that she never slept in same bedroom two nights in a row.... again so the ghosts couldnt find her. She continued building on the house 24/7 until she died! The house itself if now a national landmark with tours and everything. Anyone here ever been?

Yeah, I was there about 14 years ago, and it's pretty cool. The house itself was really interesting; all those weird windows and doors that open up onto walls or bricked up rooms. It's the one thing that San Jose has that's worth seeing.

I'm gonna take some heat from San Josers for that.:ohmy:

HA! I live in San Jose and have never been there!

But a girl that I work with used to work there - giving tours and such - and she said that there are quite a few secret passages.

my dad owns a Winchester riffle and has it above the fireplace in our old rock house...

but I've never been to the Winchester house :eeklaugh:

Back
Top Bottom