Even More Things Australian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The solution to the pre-game entertainment "problem" is simple:

Paul Kelly. Leaps And Bounds. EVERY YEAR.

Well they did have the guy from You Am I who's name I can't recall at the moment, he was on before meatloaf and before there was barely a soul at the ground.

Yeah, weekend dash to Auckland to watch the Wallabies lose to Ireland live - oh-so-painful that one! (it's Fiona here, btw - been away for more than aaaaages)

Hi Fiona :wave: I did remember your name, but I wasn't sure if you were in the habit of publicising it... I guess some people might not, I dunno. *L*

BDO = Meh... I think I missed my chance to go to one where loads of bands I would have loved to see were playing.

And I know Danny hates Aussie hip-hop, but I have to respect a song (I think it's by Jolistics or however the hell you spell that) that not only name-checks Jean-Luc Picard, but also includes the line: "Milk that shit 'til the cow falls over". I mean... :love:

Alisaura said:
I actually quite like some of the stuff I hear on Triple J, in a "I-wouldn't-pay-to-see-it-live" sort of way.

Same, but I was talking about Australian hip hop. It all sucks, just some more than others.

Same, but I was talking about Australian hip hop. It all sucks, just some more than others.

I actually meant that I quite like some of the Australian hip-hop stuff I hear on Triple J. I've paid to see plenty of non-hip-hop acts I've heard on Triple J! :wink:

I'm pretty certain I saw a prostitute on Chapel St at 330pm yesterday. She was walking, on her phone, and you rarely see people dressed like she was even on a Saturday night on King St.

I'm pretty certain I saw a prostitute on Chapel St at 330pm yesterday. She was walking, on her phone, and you rarely see people dressed like she was even on a Saturday night on King St.

Given the sort of things I've seen women wearing on a night out, she must have been wearing a big neon sign saying "PROSTITUTE".

It's when you see them still dressed like that on Monday morning when you're walking to work over the Yarra that you can be even more sure. *L*

Last night heading home from Mono's gig, I was reminded of a great game you can play on Flinders St after midnight on a Friday: "Prostitute or just a slut?"

Also, I cracked the shits at Channel 9 in a big way last night and I need to vent my spleen. It was probably a mistake to watch their "news" while I was already in a bad mood, and maybe this is just a small thing compared to their other crimes against journalism, but it made my blood boil nonetheless.

They were covering the story about that 14-year-old kid who got caught buying marijuana in Bali. Yes, it was a fucking stupid thing to do at any age, and yes, he and his family are still going through hell regardless and I feel for them.

So, Channel 9 interviews this Indonesian man, I dunno quite how he was connected, but maybe he was liasing between the local authorities and the family. He spoke English well enough, but Channel 9 decided to subtitle him anyway. His accent was pretty thick, fair enough, that's not what made me want to pitch some furniture through the television.

What pissed me off was the way they dramatised and emotionalised the bloody subtitles. I can't remember all of it, but twice he described Indonesian jails as a "nightmare", and both times the word "nightmare" was much larger than the other text in the sentence. (eg: "Indonesian jails are a nightmare.")

Then he said something about how the family is taking it, and it was like (not an exact quote) :

"I have spoken with the family and they are very worried, they are crying."

I mean, ffs. Of course they're upset and crying, but okay, people like to know these things. But to jack up the font size like that? Was Channel 9 worried that someone out there might miss this detail, and be in danger of not sympathising with the parents and sharing 9's obvious bias?

Yes, it's an understandable bias, I'm sure a lot of people share it anyway, but that is not how you present the news, dammit. I got very upset myself and shouted at the television for several minutes, alarming my housemates and their cats.

I'm sure this is the least of 9's rage-worthy deeds, but I try to avoid their "news" and "current affairs", as I generally do for other commercial networks, so maybe I was unprepared for this small but infuriating example of manipulative editorial bias and sensationalism.

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Do they do that with every batch of subtitles?

</soapbox>

Last night heading home from Mono's gig, I was reminded of a great game you can play on Flinders St after midnight on a Friday: "Prostitute or just a slut?"

I can't remember what film it was, but there was a great line... someone calls this prostitute a slut, and she yells back, "No, I'm a whore! Sluts give it away for free!"

You should send that to the Hampster Wheel or Media Watch Ali. Newspapers do that all the time but there's no need for it when you are actually interviewing the guy.

Also, I cracked the shits at Channel 9 in a big way last night and I need to vent my spleen. It was probably a mistake to watch their "news" while I was already in a bad mood, and maybe this is just a small thing compared to their other crimes against journalism, but it made my blood boil nonetheless.

They were covering the story about that 14-year-old kid who got caught buying marijuana in Bali. Yes, it was a fucking stupid thing to do at any age, and yes, he and his family are still going through hell regardless and I feel for them.

So, Channel 9 interviews this Indonesian man, I dunno quite how he was connected, but maybe he was liasing between the local authorities and the family. He spoke English well enough, but Channel 9 decided to subtitle him anyway. His accent was pretty thick, fair enough, that's not what made me want to pitch some furniture through the television.

What pissed me off was the way they dramatised and emotionalised the bloody subtitles. I can't remember all of it, but twice he described Indonesian jails as a "nightmare", and both times the word "nightmare" was much larger than the other text in the sentence. (eg: "Indonesian jails are a nightmare.")

Then he said something about how the family is taking it, and it was like (not an exact quote) :

"I have spoken with the family and they are very worried, they are crying."

I mean, ffs. Of course they're upset and crying, but okay, people like to know these things. But to jack up the font size like that? Was Channel 9 worried that someone out there might miss this detail, and be in danger of not sympathising with the parents and sharing 9's obvious bias?

Yes, it's an understandable bias, I'm sure a lot of people share it anyway, but that is not how you present the news, dammit. I got very upset myself and shouted at the television for several minutes, alarming my housemates and their cats.

I'm sure this is the least of 9's rage-worthy deeds, but I try to avoid their "news" and "current affairs", as I generally do for other commercial networks, so maybe I was unprepared for this small but infuriating example of manipulative editorial bias and sensationalism.

Has anyone else seen this sort of thing? Do they do that with every batch of subtitles?

</soapbox>

all the commercial stations are guilty of ramping up the 'emote emote emote' factor and rallying to the ideal that their viewers are a bunch of lemmings with no discernible way of ever being able to think for themselves, but channel 9 does seem have a particular 'talent' and penchant for blatant condescension masquerading as 'real people' tv ~ Ali, I share your disgust :madwife:

(apologies for any grammatical / spelling faux pas . . . chugging through the pinot noir at a rate of knots :drunk: ) :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom