Even More Things Australian

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You're clearly not much of a true STRAAAYAN then!

(Kiwi flag's shit too.)

I was going to say, and NZ's official flag is so much better? :wink:

I can't see anyone taking us seriously if we change to the Boxing Kangaroo. I has silver fern envy, I admit.

I always admired the elegant simplicity of Libya's flag - or their old flag, I should say. I wonder if the Olympic flag had to include a green ring just for their sake...

Let's just use the Aboriginal flag and see if Frankston spontaneously combusts with bogantastic revulsion.

When I was younger, I wondered why we didn't just put the Aboriginal flag where the Union Jack is now (or is it the Union Flag?)... I still do, actually. Seems logical to me, but I'm sure there are loads of reasons why it'll never happen.

Loads of reasons being 1. bogans and 2. bogans. I've seen it proposed before and roundly shot down by aussie fkn pride types.

I'm still waiting for the CIA to detain me from half the world away. :waiting: Do I have to stand on the Sydney Harbour Bridge waving the red hammer and sickle flag?

I don't like the idea of having the aboriginal flag in front of the Union Jack, and here's why - it's a flag for aboriginal people, not the rest of Australia, it's one thing they can have when so much else has been taken away from them. It defines quick, not-thought-out fix for me. And even if you place it over the UJ, it still looks like there's a division between it and the rest of the flag. No, the Australian flag needs to represent all of us together as one. How exactly we're going to depict that without getting into campy kangaroo silhouettes, I have no fucking idea.

I don't like the idea of having the aboriginal flag in front of the Union Jack, and here's why - it's a flag for aboriginal people, not the rest of Australia, it's one thing they can have when so much else has been taken away from them. It defines quick, not-thought-out fix for me. And even if you place it over the UJ, it still looks like there's a division between it and the rest of the flag. No, the Australian flag needs to represent all of us together as one. How exactly we're going to depict that without getting into campy kangaroo silhouettes, I have no fucking idea.

Kick out all the whites. :yes:

:wink:

You make a compelling point, Bonnie.

I honestly feel like Australia will never change its flag, just because there is no really good alternative that has captured the public imagination. There's probably enough support in New Zealand to change to the silver fern tomorrow. I definitely think New Zealand will change decades before Australia does.

Honestly, just as long as it's not a stripey flag. All stripey flags are dull as dishwater. That's why I dislike the US flag, and it's too busy to boot. Flags like those of France, Italy, Russia, Poland, etc. are just boring. Germany at least gets by OK thanks to good colour choices.

I really am warming to the idea of just removing the union jack and leaving it blue. A big patch of blue with nothing there, kinda symbolises not only how uninhabited we are, but also how physically isolated we are from many other parts of the globe. And most of our population lives near the ocean, so the blue is especially familiar.

I knew there was something I wasn't thinking about, and that was pretty much it.

Maybe we should give up and just use Qantas' logo...

Perfect!!

btw best flag is Sri Lanka's. THE LION IS HOLDING A SWORD

It's coats of arms, not flags, but still...

Coat of Arms - Scandinavia and the World

There is an explanatory link under the comic.

If Holland's stripy flag was orange, it'd save a lot of confusion... but that would piss off the IOC cos they'd have to put an orange ring on the Olympic flag.

If Holland's stripy flag was orange, it'd save a lot of confusion... but that would piss off the IOC cos they'd have to put an orange ring on the Olympic flag.

The colours of the Olympic rings represent the five parts of the world that participate in the Olympics (Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, the Americas), with no particular colour ascribed to each. While the colours are those that appeared on national flags in the early 20th century, different colours have long since been used by member countries. Orange is already in Ireland and Bhutan's flags, for instance.

The colours of the Olympic rings represent the five parts of the world that participate in the Olympics (Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, the Americas), with no particular colour ascribed to each. While the colours are those that appeared on national flags in the early 20th century, different colours have long since been used by member countries. Orange is already in Ireland and Bhutan's flags, for instance.

I had a feeling I was getting something wrong (not uncommon, that)... although the story I heard at school was that the rings (also) represent at least one of the colours that appears on every flag. India has orange too, but they all have other colours that are also on the Olympic flag.

I just looked up Bhutan's flag... they definitely win! If any country ends up with a dinosaur on its flag, that might top it, but it'd have to be cool dinosaur.

Wait... Australia had dinosaurs. Relatively cool ones, at that. And by pre-dating all of human activity, they are apolitical.

Muttaburrasaurus for the flag! :hyper:

I've shown you Bhutan's flag before. :tongue:

I thought you were more favourably disposed towards the Welsh flag as the dragon is a bit more aggressive in its stance?

The Welsh flag is pretty awesome, and not only because of the Manic Street Preachers.

I've shown you Bhutan's flag before. :tongue:

I thought you were more favourably disposed towards the Welsh flag as the dragon is a bit more aggressive in its stance?

And I have a memory shorter than Bono. :tongue:

You are quite correct, I'd forgotten about Wales. The Welsh dragon would totally kick the Bhutanese dragon's arse. :up:

I wonder where I put my Welsh flag t-shirt...

america's flag is nifty. it's all got meaning behind it. the stripes, the stars, yeah. though we'll probably never make any of our territories states because it'd mean redesigning the flag and zomg then it won't be 50 states anymore.

but yeah, me likey.

Friday night wasn't a TOTAL disaster. I did meet the guy who inspired this song...

The Cat Empire - Sol Y Sombra - YouTube

He works at/owns Kanela Bar in Fitzroy. Very cool joint, and the chick I was with asked for the "spanishest" drink they had... he gave us a sol y sombra, the scent of which alone was enough to blow my head off. Anyone way he told us that he got the Cat Empire blind drunk on them one night, and that's how this song came about (the lyrics namecheck the bar). Very very cool.

Not a big fan at all, don't own any albums, but I haven't hated what I've heard, just thought it was overrated. I seem to remember them being pretty good live

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom