Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Germany has been fucking good though! I hope the better team wins on Sunday.

Why are you English so against the Germans? :tsk: lol.

Jealousy? :p

^ Nothing to do with a messy history on and off the pitch then :p

Im English and im supporting the Germans because i greatly admire their style of play.

Germany has been fucking good though! I hope the better team wins on Sunday.

Why are you English so against the Germans? :tsk: lol.

Jealousy? :p

With one exception, Germany has been to the English national soccer team what Spain has been to the Russians this EC. ;)
I think the saying also is most prominent in England: Soccer is a game that is won by the Germans.
And to some extent that is true, as you can see currently.

There is a great rivalry between the Germans and the Dutch when it comes to soccer (and there have been a number of incidences in the past that have shown how deep this rivalry actually goes), and basically the thing here is: The Dutch play the most technically perfect and artistically marvelous soccer, but the Germans more often than not win.

I don't know. Naturally I should be for Germany, but on the other hand I really would like to see Spain win. They are playing wonderful soccer. But well, I guess in the end I will give the edge to the Germans.

And Lehmann is still alive! :angry: Now hopefully he at least saves the final... or not. :wink:

for me the two players of the tournament have been Iker Casillas and Michael Ballack.

Buffon did well for Italy but i think Casillas is still the finest goalkeeper in the world. a clean sheet in the semi final and a couple of great penalty saves in the quarter final against italy. and don't forget the save against italy he made with his feet in the second half from point blank range. if it weren't for him it might be debatable whether spain would have got this far.

Ballack his hitting top form at the right time. good with both feet, can beat his man, good in the air, has a ferocious shot, is a fine passer and is a strong leader too. there aren't many better than him in world football. the way he effortlessly glides across the pitch sometimes reminds me of zidane. after losing two champions league finals i think he deserves to finally win a major european honour.

can't wait for the final and to see these two go head to head.

Ballack is overrated. I think Schweinsteiger has been the man for Germany in this Euro, scoring key goals in key games.

As much as I hate the Germans (particularly after our unfair elimination in 2006 World Cup), I am predicting another Spanish choke today.

Ballack is overrated. I think Schweinsteiger has been the man for Germany in this Euro, scoring key goals in key games.

As much as I hate the Germans (particularly after our unfair elimination in 2006 World Cup), I am predicting another Spanish choke today.

While calling Spain "chokers" in the past was an apt description, I would hardly call them that today if they would lose. They [finally] broke through to the championship game and today it's all about being the better team. If Spain should lose it's because Germany outplayed them, not because they choked.

While calling Spain "chokers" in the past was an apt description, I would hardly call them that today if they would lose. They [finally] broke through to the championship game and today it's all about being the better team. If Spain should lose it's because Germany outplayed them, not because they choked.

Not really. Who have they beaten? A mediocre Russia? They did not even beat the worst Italian team I have seen in a long time and had to go to penalties.

So far, Spain has not faced and beaten a good team, which will clearly be the case if they beat Germany in the final.

I'm not a great Ballack fan either, but he is a key player as team captain and psychologically very important for the team. So far you could see that the team played especially bad when his opponent was able to keep him out of the game. I guess Spain will try that as well, and Germany will try to keep Xavi under control.

I wouldn't be surprised should this game get a bit boring either.

I usually cheer for Germany, but I'm going for Spain today. Maybe because I'm a little in love with their goalie.

When Germany wasn't one of the teams, a friend of mine also always supported the team with the better looking players. ;)

I hope that the team who plays the best football will win
I thought Germany did well beating Portugal in the Quarter finals (though Portugal was unrecognisably poor that evening) and Spain arguably has the strongest group of players

:up:

I'm so pleased this is John Motson's last live match commentary. He's been slow and all over the place for years now. Casillas just got booked...we all saw it...he even protested it, then he went back to his goal, and after about 15 seconds Motty reacts with "Did Casillas just get a yellow card there aswell, I think he might've done" :sigh:

Retire.

I usually support Germany out of nostalgia sake but today I kinda want the underdog to win. Really, the better team should win!

Was weird to see the captains of both teams get a card. Nice goal for Spain, they were better.

Congrats to Spain. Was awful to watch at times, and the chances "we" had weren't used at all.

Spain is playing great football, so it's only just they won.

Back
Top Bottom