Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't think it was a penalty, because if it was than there would be a penalty after every single corner kick..
BUT - a Croat playing for Austria scored a penalty and now Croatia will certainly finish at the top of the group which means that we will evade Portugal at least untill semi-final..and than everything is possible

The only way all these dirty tricks can be stopped is that the refs start punishing it each and every time. Then the players will stop, and you won't see a penalty after every single corner kick. I still think Webb made the right decision.

The only way all these dirty tricks can be stopped is that the refs start punishing it each and every time. Then the players will stop, and you won't see a penalty after every single corner kick. I still think Webb made the right decision.

I agree. I saw the scene dozens of times yesterday on tv and it was clearly penalty. But the refs have to be more strict in general. There was several unfair stuff going down in the game yesterday that the ref just didn't seem to see.

Anyway, the game Austria-Germany on monday should be very interesting. Basically, Austria has to win in order to make it into the quater finals. Not that anyone here thinks that there is really a high possibility, but after the Croatia debacle there is hope and hopefully enough confidence in the team.
The only team in this group that is already definitely in quater finals is Croatia, everything else is still open.

It was a clear penalty. shirt-pulling. good eye by the ref.

Very undisciplined and amateurish by the polish player to do that at that moment of the game.

Doesn't matter much, though; none of these two teams will go through to the 1/4-finals.

most of the time that will go unpunished, but you can't do it right in front of the ref !

The cross was always going to be out of his reach, needless stupid penalty

4/1 luca toni first to score, banged £5 on that.

I might be developing a gambling addiction :lol:

Good game between Romania and Italy so far. Scoreless at half, but not for lack of effort. Fine saves by both goalkeepers.

Unfortunate collision by two Romanian players. That looked ugly, and the other player started bleeding towards the end of the first halftime too.

Wow. Dunno how the ref can call the foul on Mutu in one box but on the one on Toni on the other.

Not to mention the phantom offside.

The offside on Toni? He was clearly onside, but the other guy in the middle of the field was a shoulder offside.

The passive offside rule seems to be called very inconsistently. In the Croatia-Austria game a similar situation occurred and the play was not called offside, leading to a goal.

Also, Italy took about 2 or 3 blatant dives in the box after the Mutu penalty. Can't really blame them for trying.

romania v italy was a great game. now looking forward to see if my dutch boys can give france a footballing lesson too.

on a side note i just got back from prague and it's football crazy there right now. watched the czech game vs portugal on a big screen in the city centre and the atmosphere was amazing. bit shit they lost though. anyway so i'm now an honoury czech fan :D

4-1.

not particularly deserved, but this tournament sure seems to belong to the dutch. Everything seems to work out for them. Quite a bit of luck in those boots too, would be fair to say.

And another great game to watch. France wasn't bad but I guess you can't do much when the opponent is this good. I think Dutch or Portugal will win the tournament.

Can anyone tell me what that Gomis guy is doing on the French team? He is clearly not anywhere near the level it takes to play in such a tournament. France has so many top players, and Domenech chooses to bring on a player whose first touch is amateurish at best, has no pace, and only got 1 in 20 passes right.

Hopefully the French Football association will finally fire Domenech now.

Maybe...I haven't watched Spain games yet, but I did read they're very good.

Spanish and the Dutch tend to have these flying starts to major tournaments.

The Dutch tend to self-destruct, and the Spanish tend to not have the mental toughness to see these things through.

Let's wait and see before the coronations begin, the nations with the better mental toughness usually prevail, the Spanish even have a fraction of Italy's 2006 toughness or Germany's almost all the time, they will do well. And if the Dutch can focus on beating their opponents rather than gatting into petty squabbles with themselves, they too can do well.

Good games today, almost all the 2nd games actually have been significantly better than the opening games.

Can anyone tell me what that Gomis guy is doing on the French team? He is clearly not anywhere near the level it takes to play in such a tournament. France has so many top players, and Domenech chooses to bring on a player whose first touch is amateurish at best, has no pace, and only got 1 in 20 passes right.

Hopefully the French Football association will finally fire Domenech now.

I wouldn't be surprised if Domenech's crystal ball told him to play Thuram up front as a lone striker and Henry in goal for the next game.

Spanish and the Dutch tend to have these flying starts to major tournaments.

The Dutch tend to self-destruct, and the Spanish tend to not have the mental toughness to see these things through.

Let's wait and see before the coronations begin, the nations with the better mental toughness usually prevail, the Spanish even have a fraction of Italy's 2006 toughness or Germany's almost all the time, they will do well. And if the Dutch can focus on beating their opponents rather than gatting into petty squabbles with themselves, they too can do well.

Good games today, almost all the 2nd games actually have been significantly better than the opening games.

The unity and determination of the Dutch team seem completely different from anything I've seen from them before, though. They seem strong in all departments.

Absolute and utter MADNESS!
:lol: the neighbourhood is going insane here!
man how has our national team changed in a few years... all the try out matches were pretty bad too... yet these two matches vs italy and now france... madness!

:shocked:
:eeklaugh:
:hyper:

What a match! 4-1!
In 2 back-to-back games the Dutch team scored 7 goals against the current world champion and the runner up (and conceded only 1 goal).
:bow:

man how has our national team changed in a few years... all the try out matches were pretty bad too... yet these two matches vs italy and now france... madness!

Indeed, I remember being at the second Slane concert and they showed Ireland taking out the Netherlands of the 2002 World Cup qualifiers.

Wonder if the Dutch will 'throw' their next match in order to avoid meeting up with France or Italy down the line? :hmm:
Or maybe just sit out their top players with good reason...

Back
Top Bottom