Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spanish and the Dutch tend to have these flying starts to major tournaments.

Not really, usually the Dutch only barely make it out of the group stages. And after that it can still go either way.

The Dutch tend to self-destruct, and the Spanish tend to not have the mental toughness to see these things through.

Let's wait and see before the coronations begin, the nations with the better mental toughness usually prevail, the Spanish even have a fraction of Italy's 2006 toughness or Germany's almost all the time, they will do well. And if the Dutch can focus on beating their opponents rather than gatting into petty squabbles with themselves, they too can do well.

That's true. And luckily it seems there's no internal friction.
:up:

Domenech's choices were insane.

Sagnol instead of Sagna?

Malouda as left wing?

No Benzema?

And Evra might have had a good season for United, but he is a catastrophe on the national team. Should have played with Clichy instead. Viera went berserk on Evra in the player tunnel. No wonder.

The unity and determination of the Dutch team seem completely different from anything I've seen from them before, though. They seem strong in all departments.
this is the main difference to anything i've ever seen our team do

i think we were lucky that the french didn't make more out of the time they were pushing us back
but apart from Henry in front of Van der Sar they mostly tried with shots from about 16 meters
and we do have one fantastic goalie (the face of the Smint marketing campaign btw :D)

we have players with the quality to score
and we've scored some amazing goals

:up: :applaud: :drool: :hyper:

Robben's goal in particular, man what a move! great goal!
I'm really honestly surprised they're this good now... :yes: gonna try to find a Robben tshirt tomorrow!

:D

whoever wins the company euro cup pool wins a shirt signed by Van der Sar

GO ORANGE SMINT!!!

:hyper:

Robben's goal in particular, man what a move! great goal!
I'm really honestly surprised they're this good now... :yes: gonna try to find a Robben tshirt tomorrow!
aye, i predicted the first 2 games would end up with us getting 1 point
and that was me being slightly positive

we're playing better now than we did when we won in 88 though
:up:

Domanech was abysmal. Anelka's always been an unreliable joke of an player, why bring him on.

Dutch were bloody good. A cumulative 7-1 scoreline ain't bad over the World Cup finalists.

I have to say that I'm surprised that the Italian defense looks so weak. I know that they have to miss an important defensive player, but I always thought that they were like shark teeth for Italy. If one drops out, then you have another equal in your place (kinda like what we have with our forwards/strikers). But the defense looks shaky to say the least...

Not really, usually the Dutch only barely make it out of the group stages. And after that it can still go either way.
yeah, usually we somehow make it through the group stages with hardly any decent footy being played
then play a good game to win the quarter finals
and then finally play a decent semi final that we lose on penalties :D

I don't think Domenech knows what his best XI is and this is essentially France's downfall. making 5 changes from one match to the next in a major championship smacks of desperation to me.

also that 1 on 1 chance that fell to Henry was as good a chance as he'll get to score and he put it not just over the bar but really quite far over. he showed flashes of what he can do but this is no longer the same henry as 2-3 years ago.

I think Italy will beat France but it still may not be enough for them to go through.

They should just sack Domenech already and appoint Viera playing manager for the rest of the tournament, although that might only be 1 match.

I'm confident he could do it much better than that complete and utter fool.

yeah, usually we somehow make it through the group stages with hardly any decent footy being played
then play a good game to win the quarter finals
and then finally play a decent semi final that we lose on penalties :D

:lol:

Ouch! How true!

It be such a travesty if Holland dont make the final, such great fun going forward, a joy to watch.

It be such a travesty if Holland dont make the final, such great fun going forward, a joy to watch.

It'll only be a travesty if they keep this up. It's more of a Marathon than a sprint. Spain got off to the same kind of start in the last World cup.

The centre of their defense is a bit suspect. If they come up against a tough defensive team with counterattacking capability they could struggle.

Anyone remember Brazil 1982 ? An offense much better than the dutch have right now, but when they came up against a good defensive team who could also attack when needed they were in trouble.

Wow. That was a truly brilliant piece of Barthezery by the Greek goalkeeper there.

I'm not watching this one. Well, I watched the first half, more or less. But I have better things to do with my time. This isn't a top match, in my book.

The match today between Portugal and Switzerland should just be cancelled. What a waste of time, money and effort.

And after Greek goalie, the otherwise very good Chech goalie makes a costly mistake. What a comeback for Turkey after being down 2-0, and unnecessary shove by their goalie.

although i rooted for the czechs i am in a way delighted to see yet another team be punished for trying to dig themselves down and hold on to a lead.

I only saw the first 30 minutes of the match and then decided to do some better things with my time. Guess I missed quite a spectacle... :sigh:

Back
Top Bottom