Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
and this dutch goalkeeper is :up: ! a goal for italy would have been important in the end. now they are last in their group. :sigh:

Great result!!

Got some info on that first goal which was explained on TSN here in Canada by an official from the Canadian football association. There is a grey area in this but here is what he said -

-The defender went off the pitch after a collision with his keeper and had the opportunity to come back on to the pitch. Therefore he was still active.

-If a player leaves the pitch or stays off the pitch uninjured he can be charged with unsportsmanlike conduct.

-The grey area is, how injured was this player that he couldn't come back on to the pitch?

I think this will be one of those things that will be debated to death. It think it really comes down to the referees discretion. Either way Holland won and Italy is in last place in the group.

i wouldn't be surprised if France would beat us on Friday to be honest
but normally speaking 1 draw now would be enough

3-0 against the world champions
unbefuckinglievable

Holland were 8/1 to win Euro 2008, i think they will be favourites after tonights performance.

Probably, best team so far.

Youtube will show actually two Dutch players were offside at the first goal. No clue what the referees were doing.
I don't see how that Italian player off court counts. :shrug:

I don't see how that Italian player off court counts. :shrug:
apparently it has to do with that no dutch player was involved with him going behind the line
no one injured him

if this was offside then it would mean a defender would be able to create an offside situation by stepping behind the goalline

Great result!!

Got some info on that first goal which was explained on TSN here in Canada by an official from the Canadian football association. There is a grey area in this but here is what he said -

-The defender went off the pitch after a collision with his keeper and had the opportunity to come back on to the pitch. Therefore he was still active.

-If a player leaves the pitch or stays off the pitch uninjured he can be charged with unsportsmanlike conduct.

-The grey area is, how injured was this player that he couldn't come back on to the pitch?

I think this will be one of those things that will be debated to death. It think it really comes down to the referees discretion. Either way Holland won and Italy is in last place in the group.

so he had to be very fast to be back on the court. no, I don't like that rule.

apparently it has to do with that no dutch player was involved with him going behind the line
no one injured him

if this was offside then it would mean a defender would be able to create an offside situation by stepping behind the goalline

What does it matter who got him off court ? Italian goalie pushed him off court - so he does not count as an active player. Are then all the backup team players sitting on the bench playing along to the 11 men on court, too ?
If he does, then there's nothing wrong with the goal and we shouldn't be even having this discussion. Most TV commentators, as seen in this thread, say that's not the case and offside happened.

you can leave the court to create an offside situation on purpose. but panucci accidently hits off the court and he didn't intend to do this. and he was off the court before the goal situation even evolved. so the referee deciced not to interrupt the situation, so panucci is still an active player.

i didn't invent the rules like
i personally thought it was offside but it just wasn't
because the player was still taking part of the game, technically

in a way it makes sense
why should the dutch pay for an italian defender smacking into the italian goalkeeper

Most TV commentators, as seen in this thread, say that's not the case and offside happened.
most referees disagree and say it wasn't offside

but i never argue a commentator's right to talk out of his bum :up:

What does it matter who got him off court ? Italian goalie pushed him off court - so he does not count as an active player. Are then all the backup team players sitting on the bench playing along to the 11 men on court, too ?
If he does, then there's nothing wrong with the goal and we shouldn't be even having this discussion. Most TV commentators, as seen in this thread, say that's not the case and offside happened.

if a dutch player had pushed him behind the line, it would likely had been regarded as a foul.

He did count as an active player, because he was among the 11 on the field and he had not been carried off-court to receive treatment.

Don't believe TV-commentators. They never know the rules of the games that are only rarely used.

What a performance by Van Der Sar! :applaud: And the third goal was brilliant! The first one looked clearly offside to me. Anyway, the Dutch would have won. Great game!

From the BBC, here is what the officials said,

Chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl backed the decision by Swedish referee Peter Frojdfeldt and said it was "100% correct, without any doubt".

Kapl pointed out that article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code stipulated that "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play".

He explained the rule was brought in to stop players deliberately stepping off the field of play to make an opponent offside.

So that must settle it then. It's a legal goal and van Nistelrooy was not offside.

No, the Italians will now start diving like they're going for gold in the olympics. I bet there will be 'professional fouls' aplenty.

...anyone care to remember what they did to the Aussies in the World Cup...hmmm...

Yeah, even after an egregiously bad decision to send off an Italian player early, the 10-men Italy beat them, albeit on a decision just as bad.

11 on 11 it was a game Italy had been controlling with relative ease.

most referees disagree and say it wasn't offside

but i never argue a commentator's right to talk out of his bum :up:

The offside doesn't matter, the Dutch were far and away the better team today.

Still, I have hope, the last Italy started any tournament this badly was the 1982 World Cup........

yeah

great mood here in Vienna even if Austria has lost the game
we weren´t playing bad against Croatia though - but no luck

I´m sorry for Italy..

and saw Poland - Germany with 3 Polish friends, we were surrounded by Germans lol

The Euro site I looked at says the controversy still goes on and it looks like there will be some kind of official report. :shrug:

Of course the play wasn't interrupted because the goalie from the same team pushed the Italian player. It's just odd that a player off court counts as active.

Massive day in Switzerland today, and not just with Italy getting comprehensively smashed by the Netherlands. That nil-all draw between the underated Romanians and the French could be a critical result in the longer run.

WOOHOO!!!

Holland beat the crap out of Italy!!!!!.........YAHOO!!!!!!
I hope Italy is totally HUMILIATED in this tournament....that'll teach 'em!!

....no offence to the Italians on this board......:hug::hug:

From the BBC, here is what the officials said,

Chairman of Austria's refereeing commission Gerhard Kapl backed the decision by Swedish referee Peter Frojdfeldt and said it was "100% correct, without any doubt".

Kapl pointed out that article 11.4.1. of the refereeing code stipulated that "an opposing player cannot be offside when one of the last two defenders has left the field of play".

He explained the rule was brought in to stop players deliberately stepping off the field of play to make an opponent offside.

So that must settle it then. It's a legal goal and van Nistelrooy was not offside.

:applaud: :bow: LOL

I remember!! That's why I hope that Italy gets sent home in utter disgrace!

:down: Italy!!!

Boy, lots of people upset that even after the ref unfairly reduced Italy to 10 men with lots of time to go the Aussies STILL couldn't win....

that first dutch goal yesterday was NOT offside. serves italy right for their shambles of a display.

good on the dutch, i hope they go all the way through. them, with the spanish.

that leads me to the reason i'm posting. why the HELL is fabregas not starting? if i make a team with the best players in the world today, he's in the starting 11.

and then when he does come on, it's at the expense of torres?? yeah i know the game was over already, but am i the only one who wanted to see what these two could do together?

other than make great looking children. heaven's to betsy, gang, they're good lookin' dudes.

Halfback passes to the center. Back to the wing. Back to the center. Center holds it. Holds it. Holds it...

Didn't see Spain-Russia game but I'm not watching one more halftime of the lame passes of the defense line of the title defenders. Boo on Sweden as well.

Back
Top Bottom