Euro 2008 --> The Thread. - Page 20 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM   #286
you are what you is

Local Time: 05:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
That fits with something I read today from the pre-Van Basten era: If Holland got to do a fast break it was seen as dirty soccer as it meant the other team was even playing.
I think we're over that
as long as we win all is good

since this match was a bit of a try out for the next couple (hopefully) of matches I just hoped that other players were also up to the task should it be necessary

“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 06-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #287
Refugee

Local Time: 09:45 PM
as for Seven Nations Army chant, I think Toronto FC uses the same chant. I really miss when Toronto used "All we are saying, is give us a goal".

Glad Holland is through. Italy v Spain and Portugal v Germany. Other than Germany it's basically Olympic diving matches with this lot.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:09 PM   #288
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Yeah, we have the Seven Nations Army down here at Melbourne as well. Used as a humble chant by the fans, and then adopted "officially" by the club who now play it over the PA after we score.

No Gattuso or Pirlo for the match against Spain, Italians could be in a wee bit of trouble
Old 06-18-2008, 08:09 AM   #289
Blue Crack Addict

I missed the monday game Austria-Germany.

I was at the Bruce Springsteen concert that night.

In Germany.

That was interesting.

I didn't expect our team to win but judging from the result (only 1 goal for Germany) and based on what I've seen and heard in the media, the German team wasn't too good either.

Anyway, Italy played very well yesterday and deserves to enter the quater finals.

It will be interesting to see if the partying will be going on here in Vienna after the Austrian team lost or if the fan zone will be left mainly to fans from abroad from now on.

A friend of mine said there were several hundred thousands of people in the city on monday for the public viewing, more than on any other day so far, which is understandable. It was already the second time the fan zone was closed because it was too crowded. He arrived at half past five and couldn't get in. Apart from some little disturbances, everything has been going fine and people are peaceful, which is quite good considering how many people turn up for the events.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:22 PM   #290
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm going to see Russia - Sweden. Should be interesting.

I would have taken the Springsteen concert over the game anytime. Nice to hear it was great fun.
Old 06-18-2008, 01:34 PM   #291
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaz02 View Post
Pool One
Switzerland
Czech Republic X
Portugal
X
Turkey

Pool Two
Austria
Croatia X
Germany X
Poland

Pool Three
Holland X
Italy
Romania
France X

Pool Four
Greece
Sweden
Spain X
Russia X

My predictions for group winners and runners up. Im going for maybe Croatia or Russia for outsiders, This could be Spain's year with Villa and Torres leading the charge. Anyone but Portugal and i be happy, even Germany !

The group stage predictions didnt go all that well
Old 06-18-2008, 05:39 PM   #292
Blue Crack Supplier

You only had 2 incorrect predictions (Czech Republic and France) so I wouldn't call it bad.
Old 06-18-2008, 05:43 PM   #293
Blue Crack Supplier

And Guus Hiddink did it again, advancing through the group stages with a national team (this time Russia), after the Netherlands (WC '98), South Korea (WC '02) and Australia (WC '06). After their first game against Spain I didn't think much of them, but they beat Sweden today in quite an enjoyable game.
Hopefully it'll be another enjoyable game on Saturday, when he's playing the quarter finals. With a different outcome of course (as his team will be playing against the Netherlands).
Old 06-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #294
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 04:45 AM
I did say Croatia and russia possible outsiders
Russia are looking a very well drilled outfit with ashavin in midfield. They lacked a bit of venom going upfront i thought, towards the end of the game they could of easily scored 4 more.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:26 PM   #295
Rock n' Roll Doggie

i must say i'm a little more concerned for the future of my boys holland in the next round. russia looked pretty good tonight and the full backs really stretched the swedish defence. having said that though this is a pretty poor sweden side having to rely on the quality of a half fit ibrahimovic, 36 year old henrik larsson, a past his best freddie lungberg and olof mellberg. and their most creative midfielder kallstrom was left on the bench for most games for some unknown reason.

holland should have the talent and momentum to get past russia but i won't be breaking out the champagne just yet.

as for tomorrows game, i fully expect portugal to beat germany as on paper they have a far superior team, especially in defence. but the germans being the germans i don't expect it to be easy.
Old 06-18-2008, 07:44 PM   #296
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:45 PM
Some mouth-watering quarter finalline ups. Awesome group stage, what an awesome tournament.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:44 AM   #297
Galeonbroad

Sweden played pretty bad last night, I really enjoyed the russians!
but now I'm afraid they're gonna have to be kicked home by the Dutch!
Don't worry baby, it's gonna be all right. Uncertainty can be a guiding light...
Old 06-19-2008, 03:59 AM   #298
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
I would have taken the Springsteen concert over the game anytime. Nice to hear it was great fun.
I was going to say that! My dad who was also at the gig on monday was a bit disappointed that he could not watch the match, but when we came home we were so glad
I don't know if I'm watching the match tonight, cause since france is out, I don't care that much anymore!
Old 06-19-2008, 06:41 AM   #299
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I don't know either. There is term papers to write. I will definitely not leave the house for that.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:04 PM   #300
Blue Crack Addict

I'll watch the game tonight, besides working on my computer. Should be an interesting match. I hope it will be exciting.

And: Hi Anna! I'm glad to hear your father didn't regret going to the gig instead of watching football. There were a lot of people around me saying that they regret not being at home to watch the game before the concert started, but afterwards most of them agreed that the concert was the better choice.

Tags
euro 2008, wogball