Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree that Platini was a greater player than Zidane

my boss is going to the Italy - Netherlands match next Monday
he probably got some tickets as a gife somewhere
as he's Italian I hope he'll be in a bad mood when he returns to the office :D

Never saw Pele in his prime, but saw Cruyff, & he was great as was Pele, Best, Maradona, Platini, Van Basten, & Gullitt, IMO, Zidane sits comfortably being compared to any of those.

Maradona and George Best - 2 wasted talents, sad.

Maradona and George Best - 2 wasted talents, sad.

not entirely sure i'd describe Maradona as a "wasted talent". he won a world cup and won 6 trophies with Napoli almost single handedly including 2 Scudetto's. he also won honours with Boca and Barca. He had his problems but i don't think he wasted his career in quite the same way as George Best did.

It's taking place in my city. :scream:

My bet would be some "outsider" team. Last time, the finalists were Portugal and Greece, something most people didn't expect, Greece won, which was even more surprising.

Yo any Americans posting here??? I need to know if the matches are gonna be shown here or what and on what station? ESPN didn't seem to list anything. Starts today, doesn't it?

Okay I found my answer online.
The blog Awful Announcing have already broken it down by day (with one correction: the Turkey v Czech Republic match on June 15th will be on ESPN Classic, not ESPN2). So, how many matches will each network get? The bulk of them (17 of 31) will be airing on ESPN2, seven will be showing on ESPN, five will be on ESPN Classic, and two matches (a quarterfinal and the final) will be airing on ABC. ESPN also announced that, before the final, ABC will be showing an MLS matchup between the Los Angeles Galaxy and D.C. United at noon eastern. For those of you with HD, 26 of the 31 matches will be available in high definition on either ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC HD; ESPN Classic matches will only be available in standard definition. ESPN 360, the network’s online video service, will show all matches except the two on ABC, and ESPN Deportes will be providing Spanish-language coverage of all matches. Finally, ESPN Classic will show a half-hour highlight program during every evening of the tournament just in case you miss something.

The last announcement is one that should interest historical fans of the game; each weeknight from May 26th to June 5th, ESPN Classic will be showing each of the last nine Euro final matches. From West Germany’s three straight final appearances between 1972 and 1980 to Greece’s shocking victory over the hosting Portugese in 2004, you’ll get to see them all before this year’s tournament.

:yippie:

SUI vs. CZE :hyper:

I eagerly await GER vs. POL :combust:

Anyone watching Swiss-Chech Republic ? One of the Swiss players had to leave the field. The foul didn't look bad but they bandaged his knee and he walked off in tears.

I don't have any favourites yet, I always like to watch Netherlands. And that

Pool Two
Austria
Croatia
Germany
Poland

looks like footbal fans brawl waiting to happen.

Anyone watching Swiss-Chech Republic ? One of the Swiss players had to leave the field. The foul didn't look bad but they bandaged his knee and he walked off in tears.

That was Alex Frei, Switzerland's captain and top scorer. Really sucks for him.

And the Czech Republic gets a goal on its first shot of the match 70 minutes in on a play where somebody was offside (in the middle of the field, only a few yards away from where the ball came in, so clearly in an advantageous position). Weak.

Zoot, what channel are you watching? I don't see any soccer on...

Nevermind, found it!! I'm so excited, this will give me something to do for the next few weeks. I'm SO bored at home this summer! And forgive me if this is a dumb question (I've barely watched or paid attention to soccer since the cup) but why isn't England in this?

sami, I think it's gonna be on ESPN Classic as well as regular ESPN. See my quoted article before.

Definitely entertaining first half!

I'm guessing all the English speaking countries or people getting the English language feed, get the same commentator for a particular match. Right now we have Steve Banyard for the Port v Turk match. But does the US do their own though?

I'm guessing all the English speaking countries or people getting the English language feed, get the same commentator for a particular match. Right now we have Steve Banyard for the Port v Turk match. But does the US do their own though?

Usually it's Derek Rae and Tommy Smyth on ESPN broadcasts in the USA.

Turkey held their own well for most of the game against Portugal. Nicely done goals.

pepe's goal was immense, could be goal of the tourny.

Portugal have a lot of flare but after a long season those could soon tire.

Banyard rocks.

How immensely frustrating that Swiss lost. Were by far the better side. Don't know why Gygax didn't play. Really wanted them to win, sick of all these fools writing them off as the second worst team of the tournament. Absolute bullshit. Were the only side at Germany 2006 to not concede a goal and were unlucky to miss out on the QF's after losing a shootout to a very ordinary Ukrainian side.

Tremendous atmosphere it looked at Basle, decent opening ceremony too.

Usually it's Derek Rae and Tommy Smyth on ESPN broadcasts in the USA.

I think they did the first game - I know Tommy did anyway. The second game was a Scot and an Englishman - judging by accents. Whoever it is they cannot be worse than American soccer announcers. "He kicked the ball - why would he just kick it like that?" "Well, in soccer, very often they kick the ball. It's strange, but they rarely use their hands." "I bet they'd score a lot more if they just picked the thing up and ran with it." "INdeed, can't believe no one's thought of that yet....who is that guy?" "Um....he's on the red team - OH HE JUST KICKED THE BALL!" "Does the ball ever go into that big net?" "Sometimes, but not often." "I see....I'm kinda bored." :sigh:

Portugal has such potential. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it this year. I still can't believe they lost to Greece last time. GREECE! Come on!

Christiano Ronaldo - best player in the world? DISCUSS!

I say....Yes, right now, I think he just may be. He's an arrogant showboat, but there's no doubt he has sick skills. And for all the stupid things he does, he more than makes up for it, in my opinion.

Banyard rocks.

How immensely frustrating that Swiss lost. Were by far the better side. Don't know why Gygax didn't play. Really wanted them to win, sick of all these fools writing them off as the second worst team of the tournament. Absolute bullshit. Were the only side at Germany 2006 to not concede a goal and were unlucky to miss out on the QF's after losing a shootout to a very ordinary Ukrainian side.

Tremendous atmosphere it looked at Basle, decent opening ceremony too.

Everybody is "immensely frusrated" here. Yes, our team left the World Cup in 2006 without conceading a single goal but its four games there were probably the most boring of the tournament. Yesterday they played a really good game but are stabbed on the unique Czeck occasion ...
Worse, Alex Frei is out for 6-7 weeks. He has been injured for most of the season and fought hard to be present for the Euro at home. Without him, we don't really have scorer anymore ...
Bad start, but I hope at least people will stay enthousiastic about the tournament ...

I will go to watch Austria - Croatia in 3 hrs

Vienna is full of crazy fans. Flags. Beer. Video walls.

Everybody is "immensely frusrated" here. Yes, our team left the World Cup in 2006 without conceading a single goal but its four games there were probably the most boring of the tournament. Yesterday they played a really good game but are stabbed on the unique Czeck occasion ...
Worse, Alex Frei is out for 6-7 weeks. He has been injured for most of the season and fought hard to be present for the Euro at home. Without him, we don't really have scorer anymore ...
Bad start, but I hope at least people will stay enthousiastic about the tournament ...

Trip,

did they mess with your username too !!?

wow, after all I´m not the only one..

Back
Top Bottom