Euro 2008 --> The Thread. - Page 19 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-17-2008, 04:38 PM   #271
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 03:42 PM
__________________

__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM   #272
An Interferer
 
Miringeltje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Staring at u(2)
Posts: 7,077
Local Time: 06:42 AM


I'm happy!
__________________

__________________
Miringeltje is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:43 PM   #273
Self-righteous bullshitter
 
BoMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Soviet Canuckistan — Socialist paradise
Posts: 16,668
Local Time: 10:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywithspinninghead View Post
When did a White Stripes' song become a football anthem??
Seven Nation Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It started in Belgium in 2003 during the Champions League tournament and eventually adopted by AS Roma fans during home games.
__________________

BoMac is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:52 PM   #274
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 03:42 PM
bit disappointed about the holland match
i reckoned that players being given a chance now would make the most of it
but i only thought Heitinga and Affelay showed they can easily play at the same level
Stekelenburg looked good enough in the goal

Huntelaar downright sucked even though he scored
De Zeeuw, Bouwma and De Cler did not impress me

but we managed to win all 3 games
(actually wonder how Romania managed draws against France and Italy)
wouldn't have dreamed of that happening before the tournament
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 PM   #275
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
bit disappointed about the holland match
i reckoned that players being given a chance now would make the most of it
but i only thought Heitinga and Affelay showed they can easily play at the same level
Stekelenburg looked good enough in the goal

Huntelaar downright sucked even though he scored
De Zeeuw, Bouwma and De Cler did not impress me

but we managed to win all 3 games
(actually wonder how Romania managed draws against France and Italy)
wouldn't have dreamed of that happening before the tournament
2-0 and you're complaining?
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:54 PM   #276
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid
 
ladywithspinninghead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 4,634
Local Time: 09:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoMac View Post
Seven Nation Army - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It started in Belgium in 2003 during the Champions League tournament and eventually adopted by AS Roma fans during home games.
Ah, thanks!

The entry says it was also sang by Italian fans during the WC 2006 but I watched all those matches in Italian pubs in T.O. so couldn't hear anything from the telly.
__________________
ladywithspinninghead is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:57 PM   #277
Acrobat
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 440
Local Time: 02:42 PM
No, Romania had everything to play for and only managed to show how weak a team they are. The other match was done when the red card and the penalty were handed out. A bit of a shame that we didn't get a super fight here. It could have been.

I wouldn't be surprised if Italy did evil things to both Holland and Spain now.
__________________
ybab gnuthca is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #278
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Mullen View Post
2-0 and you're complaining?
He's Dutch. Unless the team wins with a double digit margin against a team that didn't want to make the play, he'll complain.

No, it didn't have the quality of the first two matches, but it wasn't too bad. No yellow cards, no injuries (hopefully) and a 2-0 win. I'd call that a good night.
__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #279
An Interferer
 
Miringeltje's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Staring at u(2)
Posts: 7,077
Local Time: 06:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salome View Post
bit disappointed about the holland match
I wasn't expecting much of tonight's game to begin with.
Probably more fighting spirit from Romania, who I thought didn't really do all that much.
__________________
Miringeltje is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:04 PM   #280
you are what you is
 
Salome's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 22,016
Local Time: 03:42 PM
twas a good night indeed
would just have been nice if players like De Zeeuw and Huntelaar would have shown they could play as well as the first options

but we did have a good night
__________________
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Salome is online now  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #281
Blue Crack Addict
 
Laura M's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 18,932
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
He's Dutch.


He only complains when he's in The Netherlands you know.
__________________
Laura M is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:08 PM   #282
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
Vincent Vega's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Berlin
Posts: 6,615
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popmartijn View Post
He's Dutch. Unless the team wins with a double digit margin against a team that didn't want to make the play, he'll complain.

No, it didn't have the quality of the first two matches, but it wasn't too bad. No yellow cards, no injuries (hopefully) and a 2-0 win. I'd call that a good night.
That fits with something I read today from the pre-Van Basten era: If Holland got to do a fast break it was seen as dirty soccer as it meant the other team was even playing.

Would've been nice to see Romania enter the quarter final and France and Italy not making it but in the second half you could see that they just aren't strong enough. Nevertheless, they did impress me more than the Germans did.
__________________
Vincent Vega is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:15 PM   #283
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS
 
hiphop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: in the jungle
Posts: 7,410
Local Time: 04:42 PM
Italy played above average, its great they won, they were lucky that France only had 10 players on the field .. Buffon was fine

I miss the "old" italians, del Piero et al

I think all was going very good with the Netherlands team, they are very quick
__________________
hiphop is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:17 PM   #284
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lara Mullen View Post


He only complains when he's in The Netherlands you know.
I thought so.
He's Dutch.
__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
Old 06-17-2008, 05:19 PM   #285
Blue Crack Supplier
 
Popmartijn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 32,543
Local Time: 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Vega View Post
That fits with something I read today from the pre-Van Basten era: If Holland got to do a fast break it was seen as dirty soccer as it meant the other team was even playing.
It's not enough for the Dutch to win. They want the team to win with a beautiful game.
It sometimes seems as if a beautiful game ending in a draw is preferred to an ugly win.
__________________

__________________
Popmartijn is offline  
 

Tags
euro 2008, wogball

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com