Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad:

Italy's strategy, in my opinion, is to play 'not to lose' instead of 'playing to win.' This style includes, again in my opinion, a penchant for holding on for a shootout. Me thinks they rely on Buffon's heroics too much. :shrug:

Just finished watching the game (replay). Did they even broadcast it live here in the US? I couldn't find it on any channel.

Anyway, man... will Italy's bad luck with penalty shootouts ever end??? Every time it's the same story. Remember the USA94 final?

It's such a horrible way to determine the winner. Putting so much weight on the goalkeeper's shoulders and nobody else to help him. I wish there was a better way.

It's already a great improvement. Before penalty shootouts a coin was going to decide which team to advance.

I find them quite okay. Better than letting the teams play till Saint Glinglin's day, and in some games that's the only tension of the entire match. I just don't understand how the teams in so many matches seem to just wait for this unpredictable way to decide the winner.

Italy's bad luck with penalties took a substantial break in 2006. ;)

That's partly correct.

Italy's strategy is: defend, defend, hit them on the counter, get a goal, pull all 10 men behind the ball.

And yet they were the highest scorers of the last World Cup......

I saw the game last night and all I can say is:

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!! You have been AVENGED!!!!!!.....YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I waited since the beginning of Euro 2008 for the right moment to say:

ARRIVEDERCI ITALIA!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:applaud::applaud::yippie::yippie::dancing:

Btw - I apologize for being obnoxious.....lol.

No, no.

Italy's strategy is: get a goal, then pull all 10 men back and pray that the score stays 1-0.

:up:

but the thing is, why was Di Natale again in the team...he was bad since the first match! and the same for Quagliarella, such a useless player! yes, and there's Toni :doh:
And bringing Del Piero in 117 min., I mean this is a joke or?!

not quite.

WORLD CUP 2006 STANDINGS

Goals
1.Italy 12- 2
2.France 9- 3
3.Germany 14- 6

As you can see, Germany was the topscoring team of the 2006 world cup.

And three of Italy's goals came in extra time or added extra time one of those was the dubious penalty against Australia. 3 of Italy's 4 knockout stage games went to added extra time. Really goes to prove my point more than disprove it.

Italy were certainly not the best (or fairest) team at Germany '06. but they sure did what needed to be done and for that they deserved the World Cup.

Italy's most convincing performances at Germnay '06 were against the Czech Rep (fair effort) and Ukraine (who should never have got to the Quarter Finals anyway - cursed Tunisia)

Italy were certainly not the best (or fairest) team at Germany '06. but they sure did what needed to be done and for that they deserved the World Cup.

Italy's most convincing performances at Germnay '06 were against the Czech Rep (fair effort) and Ukraine (who should never have got to the Quarter Finals anyway - cursed Tunisia)

The best game by far of the whole tournament was the Semi with Germany

If they weren't the best team in 06 then who was ? And PLEASE don't say Brazil, "best" teams don't fall asleep on set pieces.

And three of Italy's goals came in extra time or added extra time one of those was the dubious penalty against Australia. 3 of Italy's 4 knockout stage games went to added extra time. Really goes to prove my point more than disprove it.

After the Semis, the Italians were the top scorers. Germany passed them in a meaningless game for 3rd place, in meaningful games Italy were top scorers.

Germany could have put 12 past Portugal for 3rd placem by then it doesn't matter.

Dubious or not, they all count. Extra-time counts too, you DO know the rules, right ?

I saw the game last night and all I can say is:

GO AUSTRALIA!!!!! You have been AVENGED!!!!!!.....YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

I waited since the beginning of Euro 2008 for the right moment to say:

ARRIVEDERCI ITALIA!!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

:applaud::applaud::yippie::yippie::dancing:

Btw - I apologize for being obnoxious.....lol.

That's OK, at least you have Australia's past glories to reflect upon.....

After the Semis, the Italians were the top scorers. Germany passed them in a meaningless game for 3rd place, in meaningful games Italy were top scorers.

Germany could have put 12 past Portugal for 3rd placem by then it doesn't matter.

Dubious or not, they all count. Extra-time counts too, you DO know the rules, right ?

So, extra-time goals do count, and that's important, but third-place game goals are meaningless, and that's important either.

Euro and WC are no beauty contests, hence Italy was the best team of WC 06 simply because they won.
If you took most goals then Germany won, because yes, every goal counts, no matter if extra time, group stages, penalties or game for third place.
If you judged by beauty I'm not sure which team would be the best. I didn't see all the games and hardly recall any of what I've seen.

I guess Germany will be in the final, and the other team might well be Russia.

Come on the Turks! I backed them from the start....

Normally I'd be with you all the way on that shout, but after reading this.....

Germany keeper Jens Lehmann says he would 'give his life' to reach the final of Euro 2008. (The Sun)

Come on Germany!!!!!

On a slightly more serious note, just like to say how much I've enjoyed the tournament so far, being able to watch all games as a neutral, without having ridiculous expectations of ingerland to spoil it all for me, its definitely a better tournament without our lot to ruin it. Having said all that, I would like to see Spain win.

Normally I'd be with you all the way on that shout, but after reading this.....

Germany keeper Jens Lehmann says he would 'give his life' to reach the final of Euro 2008. (The Sun)

Come on Germany!!!!!

:D That's great! Now I want them to advance even more. ;)

It's still so strange, Germans and German players actually singing the hymn. So much has changed over the past years.

Yeah, I would be ok with Spain winning either. :)

Back
Top Bottom