Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah I remember that Berlin has a huge Turkish population...that should make for an interesting time on Wednesday...:uhoh: But you're right, hopefully everyone will take whatever happens well.

Berlin is sometimes called Little Istanbul, and it's the largest Turkish city outside Turkey. But you know what parts of the city to avoid, and all in all they are pretty peaceful I'd say.

Whoa! Talk about a narrow save indeed (by the Turkish).
I thought that Croatia was slightly better during the game, but not good enough to make the difference.

What a tournament it's been :drool:

See what happens when the Poms aren't involved, it's an absoulte ripper of a major footballing event :wink:

This is for the Americans: Guys, do you know if they are even broadcasting the Netherlands Russia match? I don't see it anywhere on ESPN, ESPN2 or ESPN Classic schedules! :rant:

Im sure the home nations have missed our much needed cash :)

Switzerland and Austria need cash ???

I dunno, every game looks a full house, plus there will be less property damage to pay fo rlater. I'd say the home nations are quite happy without Eng-ur-land there.

I'll be teaching a Dutch language class first and after that I'm heading to the pub again to watch the game with a whole lot of other Dutch people, that live here in the Bay Area.

Switzerland and Austria need cash ???

I dunno, every game looks a full house, plus there will be less property damage to pay fo rlater. I'd say the home nations are quite happy without Eng-ur-land there.

Of course everyone needs cash. England bring the most fans to any Tournament apart from the side hosting and thats a fact. We fill the stadiums and we fill the bars and hotels. Every nation has its trouble causers, i do remember there being a mini riot between the German and Polish fans and believe me if every English fan that came to a tournament were trouble causers we really could quite literally stage some sort of take over and over throw the government :lol:

I actually find it some what racist to associate the English with violence. You dont see the english folk in this thread calling the Germans Nazi's and the Austria's son's of hitler and the Italians poor Pizza makers.

Of course everyone needs cash. England bring the most fans to any Tournament apart from the side hosting and thats a fact. We fill the stadiums and we fill the bars and hotels. Every nation has its trouble causers, i do remember there being a mini riot between the German and Polish fans and believe me if every English fan that came to a tournament were trouble causers we really could quite literally stage some sort of take over and over throw the government :lol:

I actually find it some what racist to associate the English with violence. You dont see the english folk in this thread calling the Germans Nazi's and the Austria's son's of hitler and the Italians poor Pizza makers.

The stadiums are already full, as are the hotels and bars. 200,000 in the city last night, don't know that it would be any "fuller" if the English were there.

It's not racism to associate the English with football-fan violence, it's just fact, dating back to the early 80's. Funny, I don't seem to remember they were bad in the 70's.

Every major tournament since the 82 World Cup except WC2002 the English have been involved in violence outbreaks. And that was probably donly ue to the distance/costs involved to get there.

calling the Germans Nazi's

One of the greatest side-effects of the last World Cup here in Germany is that it has gone back dramatically calling us Nazis and such which I find is quite some progress (that's meant in general, I wouldn't suspect anyone here).

On the other hand, German hooligans have caused serious trouble either, worst beating up the French policeman who till this day suffers from his severe head injuries.

I think the problems with riots have decreased also because the host countries are now doing much more to prevent hooligans from coming to the events. Austria for example is now doing border control for the time of the Euro, and the police of the host countries has worked together with the police from guest countries in previous years, and does so this time again.

Sorry, but neither Switzerland nor Austria are missing the cash of the English, our stadiums are full, the hotels and bars are full and there is seriously no more place for any more fans in the cities. It's sad for the English people that their team couldn't qualify for the Euro, but to make a statement like this is a little ignorant. Other teams and fans have to deal with disappointments as well, you have to be able to lose as well.

And it IS a fact that a lot of people here are reliefed that the English fans stay out. I don't say that they are all violent, in fact, some of them may be and some not, but based on past experiences, there was quite some concern about the English fans (that was before England was out of the EURO).

We had some smaller riots yesterday after Turkey won and Croatia lost, but it was only minor and really nothing compared to the number of fans that were celebrating in the city.

last unicorn;5234806. It's sad for the English people that their team couldn't qualify for the Euro said:
Ive never said once England deserved to be there, we were terrible in qualifying. Croatia and Russia were much better sides. But the numbers England would of came with would of been unrivaled, they would all need to eat, drink and sleep somewhere.
England have been used as a scape goat by the international community for far too long, every incident that arises is blamed on the English, without reason a lot of the time. The police are far to heavy handed on the English because they seem to think there all hooligans.
I would like to remind everyone of the violence the Italian leagues has suffered in the past 2 years, how many deaths was it now ?

Come on Oranje, it will take more than a few brilliant Van der Sar saves to go on.

Just tuned in as I was out. Holy shit! The Dutch could be in trouble! I didn't realize the Russians were that good!

Ive never said once England deserved to be there, we were terrible in qualifying. Croatia and Russia were much better sides. But the numbers England would of came with would of been unrivaled, they would all need to eat, drink and sleep somewhere.
England have been used as a scape goat by the international community for far too long, every incident that arises is blamed on the English, without reason a lot of the time. The police are far to heavy handed on the English because they seem to think there all hooligans.
I would like to remind everyone of the violence the Italian leagues has suffered in the past 2 years, how many deaths was it now ?

Yes, there was violence with other teams as well.
I've never said that all English fans were hooligans, certainly they're not.
Usually, I wouldn't have commented on this issue at all, I just found your statement a little arrogant and a provocation.
I'm always for fair chances for every team, and I want fairness from the team as well as from the fans.
Unfortunatly, fans behaving badly has a bad impact on the team as well, and I think it's wrong to punish a team for its fans' behaviour.

There may end up being atravesty with Holland after all. That would be if they scrape through.

There may end up being atravesty with Holland after all. That would be if they scrape through.

Russia have been creating plenty of offensive chances (Arshavin especially), but they just can't finish, except for Pavlyuchenko. Same thing happened in their game against Spain. I don't think they've been clearly superior to Holland in this game.

Russia have been creating plenty of offensive chances (Arshavin especially), but they just can't finish, except for Pavlyuchenko. Same thing happened in their game against Spain. I don't think they've been clearly superior to Holland in this game.

Yes, they have. Only a Dutchman would think they've been even.

Back
Top Bottom