Euro 2008 --> The Thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bit disappointed about the holland match
i reckoned that players being given a chance now would make the most of it
but i only thought Heitinga and Affelay showed they can easily play at the same level
Stekelenburg looked good enough in the goal

Huntelaar downright sucked even though he scored
De Zeeuw, Bouwma and De Cler did not impress me

but we managed to win all 3 games
(actually wonder how Romania managed draws against France and Italy)
wouldn't have dreamed of that happening before the tournament:up:

bit disappointed about the holland match
i reckoned that players being given a chance now would make the most of it
but i only thought Heitinga and Affelay showed they can easily play at the same level
Stekelenburg looked good enough in the goal

Huntelaar downright sucked even though he scored
De Zeeuw, Bouwma and De Cler did not impress me

but we managed to win all 3 games
(actually wonder how Romania managed draws against France and Italy)
wouldn't have dreamed of that happening before the tournament:up:

2-0 and you're complaining? :tsk:

No, Romania had everything to play for and only managed to show how weak a team they are. The other match was done when the red card and the penalty were handed out. A bit of a shame that we didn't get a super fight here. It could have been.

I wouldn't be surprised if Italy did evil things to both Holland and Spain now.

2-0 and you're complaining? :tsk:

He's Dutch. Unless the team wins with a double digit margin against a team that didn't want to make the play, he'll complain.

No, it didn't have the quality of the first two matches, but it wasn't too bad. No yellow cards, no injuries (hopefully) and a 2-0 win. I'd call that a good night.
:)

twas a good night indeed :D
would just have been nice if players like De Zeeuw and Huntelaar would have shown they could play as well as the first options

but we did have a good night

He's Dutch. Unless the team wins with a double digit margin against a team that didn't want to make the play, he'll complain.

No, it didn't have the quality of the first two matches, but it wasn't too bad. No yellow cards, no injuries (hopefully) and a 2-0 win. I'd call that a good night.
:)

That fits with something I read today from the pre-Van Basten era: If Holland got to do a fast break it was seen as dirty soccer as it meant the other team was even playing. :)

Would've been nice to see Romania enter the quarter final and France and Italy not making it but in the second half you could see that they just aren't strong enough. Nevertheless, they did impress me more than the Germans did.

Italy played above average, its great they won, they were lucky that France only had 10 players on the field .. Buffon was fine

I miss the "old" italians, del Piero et al

I think all was going very good with the Netherlands team, they are very quick

That fits with something I read today from the pre-Van Basten era: If Holland got to do a fast break it was seen as dirty soccer as it meant the other team was even playing. :)

It's not enough for the Dutch to win. They want the team to win with a beautiful game.
It sometimes seems as if a beautiful game ending in a draw is preferred to an ugly win.

I think we're over that
as long as we win all is good :D

since this match was a bit of a try out for the next couple (hopefully) of matches I just hoped that other players were also up to the task should it be necessary

as for Seven Nations Army chant, I think Toronto FC uses the same chant. I really miss when Toronto used "All we are saying, is give us a goal".

Glad Holland is through. Italy v Spain and Portugal v Germany. Other than Germany it's basically Olympic diving matches with this lot.

Yeah, we have the Seven Nations Army down here at Melbourne as well. Used as a humble chant by the fans, and then adopted "officially" by the club who now play it over the PA after we score.

No Gattuso or Pirlo for the match against Spain, Italians could be in a wee bit of trouble

I missed the monday game Austria-Germany.

I was at the Bruce Springsteen concert that night.

In Germany. :lol:

That was interesting.

I didn't expect our team to win but judging from the result (only 1 goal for Germany) and based on what I've seen and heard in the media, the German team wasn't too good either.

Anyway, Italy played very well yesterday and deserves to enter the quater finals.

It will be interesting to see if the partying will be going on here in Vienna after the Austrian team lost or if the fan zone will be left mainly to fans from abroad from now on.

A friend of mine said there were several hundred thousands of people in the city on monday for the public viewing, more than on any other day so far, which is understandable. It was already the second time the fan zone was closed because it was too crowded. He arrived at half past five and couldn't get in. Apart from some little disturbances, everything has been going fine and people are peaceful, which is quite good considering how many people turn up for the events.

I'm going to see Russia - Sweden. Should be interesting. :D

I would have taken the Springsteen concert over the game anytime. Nice to hear it was great fun. :)

Pool One
Switzerland
Czech Republic X
Portugal
X
Turkey

Pool Two
Austria
Croatia X
Germany X
Poland

Pool Three
Holland X
Italy
Romania
France X

Pool Four
Greece
Sweden
Spain X
Russia X

My predictions for group winners and runners up. Im going for maybe Croatia or Russia for outsiders, This could be Spain's year with Villa and Torres leading the charge. Anyone but Portugal and i be happy, even Germany !

The group stage predictions didnt go all that well :sad:

And Guus Hiddink did it again, advancing through the group stages with a national team (this time Russia), after the Netherlands (WC '98), South Korea (WC '02) and Australia (WC '06). After their first game against Spain I didn't think much of them, but they beat Sweden today in quite an enjoyable game.
Hopefully it'll be another enjoyable game on Saturday, when he's playing the quarter finals. With a different outcome of course (as his team will be playing against the Netherlands).

I did say Croatia and russia possible outsiders :D
Russia are looking a very well drilled outfit with ashavin in midfield. They lacked a bit of venom going upfront i thought, towards the end of the game they could of easily scored 4 more.

i must say i'm a little more concerned for the future of my boys holland in the next round. russia looked pretty good tonight and the full backs really stretched the swedish defence. having said that though this is a pretty poor sweden side having to rely on the quality of a half fit ibrahimovic, 36 year old henrik larsson, a past his best freddie lungberg and olof mellberg. and their most creative midfielder kallstrom was left on the bench for most games for some unknown reason.

holland should have the talent and momentum to get past russia but i won't be breaking out the champagne just yet.

as for tomorrows game, i fully expect portugal to beat germany as on paper they have a far superior team, especially in defence. but the germans being the germans i don't expect it to be easy.

Sweden played pretty bad last night, I really enjoyed the russians!
but now I'm afraid they're gonna have to be kicked home by the Dutch!

I would have taken the Springsteen concert over the game anytime. Nice to hear it was great fun. :)

I was going to say that! My dad who was also at the gig on monday was a bit disappointed that he could not watch the match, but when we came home we were so glad :lol::D
I don't know if I'm watching the match tonight, cause since france is out, I don't care that much anymore!

I don't know either. There is term papers to write. I will definitely not leave the house for that.

I'll watch the game tonight, besides working on my computer. Should be an interesting match. I hope it will be exciting.

:D

And: Hi Anna! I'm glad to hear your father didn't regret going to the gig instead of watching football. There were a lot of people around me saying that they regret not being at home to watch the game before the concert started, but afterwards most of them agreed that the concert was the better choice.

Back
Top Bottom