EURO 2008 draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
I know many english friends won't have any will of talking about EURO 2008, but life goes on, and so football ;)

So, this is the draw, with group c as the iron group:

GROUP A

SWITZERLAND
CZECH REPUBLIC
PORTUGAL
TURKEY

GROUP B

AUSTRIA
CROATIA
GERMANY
POLAND

GROUP C

NETHERLANDS
ITALY
ROMANIA
FRANCE

GROUP D

GREECE
SWEDEN
SPAIN
RUSSIA

QUARTER FINAL

1A-2B
1B-2A
1C-2D
1D-2C

FINAL IN WIEN 29 JUNE

Yeah, no shit. :|
Then again, if we want to be the European Champions, we have to beat everyone anyway. So let's start with the group phase.

Portugal
Czech Rep

Germany
Poland

Netherlands
Italy

Spain
Sweden

Portugal over Poland
Germany over Czech
Sweden over Netherlands
Italy over Spain

Germany over Portugal
Italy over Sweden

Germany wins it all

:wink:

I'm still in shock and pissed right off England is out, or any of the Home Countries and Ireland, but this leaves only one country to go for and that's Sweden.

1stepcloser said:
hmm seeing as england there this year who should i support instead? :hmm:

maybe switzerland...

anyone but portugal.

ANYONE.

even russia and croatia. i have nothing against those two sides anyway...

i have a funny feeling this might finally be spains year. they have some wonderful players, especially technically. most teams in the world would love to have players of the calibre of fabregas, torres, iniesta, villa, joaquin, puyol, casillas ect...

luis aragones has also dropped Raul and they've been playing fantasically well ever since. im thinking i might go and put a bet on them winning it. also they are in what i'd consider to be the easiest group.

however this might also be very foolish since spain are notorious underachievers and when it comes to the big games, the crunch if you will, there's the strong possibility that they will bottle it. temprament is crucial in these situations. the germans and italians have it, i'm not sure if spain do.

Zoomerang96 said:

anyone but portugal.

ANYONE.

even russia and croatia. i have nothing against those two sides anyway...

Even Croatia, huh? Aren't we underrating a bit? Croatia did beat England 3:2 (deservedly so) on Wembley, throwing them out of the tournament. The team is full of acclaimed players that play in the top European clubs.

They have the potential to go very far.

Aardvark747 said:
I can see Spain having a good tournament...

Mmm, but that's what all of us say and they let us down dreadfully every tournament....

I'm still jus stoked England failed to qualify.....but damn Group C is gonna be a ripper. Whod' have though the World Cup Finalists would meet not only in the Qualifying Competition, but also in the championship proper! Feel sorry for Romania after such a strong camapign, buit they've shown what they're capable of so who knows......

BonoManiac said:
Why, oh, why does Italy always (or so it seems) get a draw that includes France? :mad:

It means for us, Domenech's mocking once again...........................:drool:

It's becoming a real classic lately Italy-France, "luckily" it's the last game, where both teams may be qualified already, but it's gonna be a damn hit if it will be the contrary. Group C is definitely the most incredible one, I wouldn't underestimate Romania also, I don't think they will lose all their 3 games, they gonna be the true balance nail.

1stepcloser said:
i have a funny feeling this might finally be spains year. they have some wonderful players, especially technically. most teams in the world would love to have players of the calibre of fabregas, torres, iniesta, villa, joaquin, puyol, casillas ect...

luis aragones has also dropped Raul and they've been playing fantasically well ever since. im thinking i might go and put a bet on them winning it. also they are in what i'd consider to be the easiest group.

however this might also be very foolish since spain are notorious underachievers and when it comes to the big games, the crunch if you will, there's the strong possibility that they will bottle it. temprament is crucial in these situations. the germans and italians have it, i'm not sure if spain do.

Spain will probably pass the group phase, even though Sweden and mostly Greece will be hard to beat. The russians have a good coach, but it depends as usual of the players, who are most of the times always undisciplined. But then, if the spanish go through, will they be able to beat one between Netherlands, France or Italy??...................Hm, everything can be, but I doubt. Spain never really made great tournaments, they have excellent single players, but when it comes up to show the balls this team always craps in itself.

I think that a true surprise could be Switzerland, they have a good team and playing at home with their fans will be another gear. I don't undersestimate Turkey, but the portuguese are much stronger than them. Czech Republic made a great qualifying, but their rather uncertain as the last worldcup proved. I believe that in group A Switzerland and Portugal will go through. In group B, Austria will be crashed out immediately, their football is slowly disappearing year after year, and even they will play at home they won't have any chance. Croatia, Germany and Poland are definitely stronger, but in the end I think Germany and Croatia will make it. Group C, damn, the toughest group you could ever wish! The worldchampions, the vice worldchampions, plus a team of great champions tradition such Holland and a hard rock such Romania. I think that the most depends of the first games, if Italy and France will win they could be on the road to go through both, but this is definitely the most unknown one. On the paper Italy and France should go through, but this is a group where you must wait and see. Then, group D, Spain and Sweden should normally make it, but Greeks are the champions and play well organized in defence, and the russians may count on their trainer's experience. Sweden has the ace, Zlatan Ibrahimovic..................oh, yeah..........:drool: :drool:
Go, Genius!

djerdap said:

Even Croatia, huh? Aren't we underrating a bit? Croatia did beat England 3:2 (deservedly so) on Wembley, throwing them out of the tournament. The team is full of acclaimed players that play in the top European clubs.

They have the potential to go very far.

no, i know full well that they're good. my point was that even though they're england's (current) bitter rival, i'd rather have them win than portugal.

Switzerland are a highly quality national side at the moment, with a great team balance, and Barnetta and Fabregas keep getting better. The clash against Turkey will be massive after the recent history between the two sides, and the Swiss will take it right up to Portugal and the Czech Rep.

They were very good during Germany 2006, being the only team to not concede a goal for the entirety of their tournament, and scored 4 of their own to boot! Held eventual finalists France to a nil-all draw, clincally disposed of Togo 2-nil and eliminated semi-finalists from 2002, South Korea by the same scoreline. Only got eliminated after crumbling in a penalty shootout to a Ukraine side who had a very poor tournament, and based on their on-field performance, the Swiss would have almost certainly been a more deserving Quarter-finalist than both the Ukraine and England, A real shame they couldn't go further. Would have really taken it right up to Italy in the QF.

spain are second favourites behind germany. that's annoyed me a bit. i thought they might have been 5th or 6th favourites considering their record in tournaments. still might put a bet on them.

maybe holland will be a smarter bet. they're the lowest placed of the big teams and van nistelrooy and sneijder have been in stunning form for madrid this season. in fact, fuck it, i think im gonna bet on them and support them too. go the oranje!

It's hard for me to admit, but I think that probably France has the best chances to make it, I don't know but I see them as the winners...............but not thanx to Domenech, obviously...........................

I just hope this will be a nice, exciting tournament. I'm a neutral but I'll be pulling for Holland.

At any rate it can't be worse than Euro 2004. Not that Greece didn't deserve to win but that tournament was painful to watch at times.

babyman said:

You mean probably Senderos? Fabregas is spanish......:sexywink:

Fuck, I always get those Arsenal scum mixed up....I picture them, but I always think of the other fella's name

yertle-the-turtle said:
I just hope this will be a nice, exciting tournament. I'm a neutral but I'll be pulling for Holland.

At any rate it can't be worse than Euro 2004. Not that Greece didn't deserve to win but that tournament was painful to watch at times.

'04 was a glorious tournament....but '08 shapes to be something extra special.....

Zoomerang96 said:
greece did not deserve to win.

but portugal deserved to win LESS.

I believe Portugal will never have such a big chance to win a title like 04...................
Incredible, you play a final at home against Greece...........and you lose!!

Anyway, Greece deserved a whole lot to win the title, they threw out France and Czech Republic, which were the stronger teams, mostly Czech Republic, everyone was betting on them. If you beat such 2 teams, and then also Portugal in the final, you deserve to win. Even when you play with 10 defenders and a goalkeeper.

More and more I feel it's a shame that England missed the qualify, I can't see this tournament without them. They should be part of it, but I find it ridiculous that you're not able neither to reach a damned draw in the last game against Croatia at Wembley! If I think at what the russians did against Israel..............man, the english had the qualify over a plate of gold and they wasted it all...................... But I don't think it's just only McClaren's fault, maybe he should not put Carson as the goalkeeper, but at the same time he probably should have locked the whole team in a room and not let them go bitching around like they did the evening before the game.......................There were many players pushing against McClaren in my opinion, and that's the result

the only thing The Netherlands has going for them at the moment is that France and Italy's qualifying campaign also left a lot to be desired

otherwise I would have requested Van Basten & Co to not even show up so that we won't lose (will lose less) face

babyman said:
More and more I feel it's a shame that England missed the qualify, I can't see this tournament without them. They should be part of it, but I find it ridiculous that you're not able neither to reach a damned draw in the last game against Croatia at Wembley! If I think at what the russians did against Israel..............man, the english had the qualify over a plate of gold and they wasted it all...................... But I don't think it's just only McClaren's fault, maybe he should not put Carson as the goalkeeper, but at the same time he probably should have locked the whole team in a room and not let them go bitching around like they did the evening before the game.......................There were many players pushing against McClaren in my opinion, and that's the result

true it's a shame england aren't there but we didn't deserve to qualify. croatia were easily the best team in the group. Mclaren simply didn't have the respect of the players and now we need someone who the players will respect whether it be mourinho, capello or whoever.

what do you think italys chances of winning are?

Back
Top Bottom