EURO 2008 draw

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1stepcloser said:

what do you think italys chances of winning are?

The team is good, it's still the worldcup group with some newbies. I actually don't see a fav one right now, there are many teams who are very balanced, it's gonna be a game by game tournament. Italy has good chances, and despite of what many think, I like the group of Italy, it's the best one you could ever pick. If you win, you can say you've beaten the best, if you lose, you can say you were beaten by the best, but of course it depends how you play, too. All in all I'm pretty confident to arrive at least in the semifinals, our trainer finally has found a couple of right ingredients, the last games were definitely a step forward.
And you? What are you planning to do for the evenings from 7-29 June? Cinema? Tennis? Nights in pubs? Girls?.......................Just kidding :wink: :wink:

:hi5:

:lol:

yes i will be doing all of those things, well maybe apart from tennis, i haven't played for a while lol.

since i haven't got a proper team to support i'll have some money riding on somebody.

http://www.skybet.com/skybet?action=GoEvType&id=10003440#ag_12

go down to the 'outrights' bit. im thinking holland at 10/1 will be a good bet. they have players like sneijder, van nistelrooy, robben and van der vaart who can all score goals. my worry is that they have got a poor defence. especially compared to the likes of cannavaro, puyol ect...

babyman said:
I think that a true surprise could be Switzerland, they have a good team and playing at home with their fans will be another gear. I don't undersestimate Turkey, but the portuguese are much stronger than them. Czech Republic made a great qualifying, but their rather uncertain as the last worldcup proved. I believe that in group A Switzerland and Portugal will go through. In group B, Austria will be crashed out immediately, their football is slowly disappearing year after year, and even they will play at home they won't have any chance. Croatia, Germany and Poland are definitely stronger, but in the end I think Germany and Croatia will make it. Group C, damn, the toughest group you could ever wish! The worldchampions, the vice worldchampions, plus a team of great champions tradition such Holland and a hard rock such Romania. I think that the most depends of the first games, if Italy and France will win they could be on the road to go through both, but this is definitely the most unknown one. On the paper Italy and France should go through, but this is a group where you must wait and see. Then, group D, Spain and Sweden should normally make it, but Greeks are the champions and play well organized in defence, and the russians may count on their trainer's experience. Sweden has the ace, Zlatan Ibrahimovic..................oh, yeah..........:drool: :drool:
Go, Genius!

Thanks for the support.... we will need it!!!:wink:

I think I'm the only one in this forum....

Actually, maybe you don't know, but the Swiss team is not that confident right now.... we just lost 2 times 1:0 to USA and Nigeria and believe me both games were so bad....

I see Spain win this year..... or us :wink:

20/1 Switzerland would be worth to bet 10-15 Euro on it..... :hmm:

Czech Rep 14/1 is also interesting, as much as even Italy and France 7/1 and 8/1.......................................
Germany 4/1 is the favourite, ha?..............Until they don't play against us, boy, poor germans, in almost 80 years of tournament history they couldn't beat us neither once, they only won friendlies against us.................ha! Go Panzers! Always remember Mexico City, Madrid and Dortmund! Always behind, always on your knees....................Always big mouth and then always broken teeth! HA-HA!

:giggle: :giggle:

Yahweh_OMG said:

Thanks for the support.... we will need it!!!:wink:

I think I'm the only one in this forum....

Actually, maybe you don't know, but the Swiss team is not that confident right now.... we just lost 2 times 1:0 to USA and Nigeria and believe me both games were so bad....

I see Spain win this year..... or us :wink:

The swiss will be ok for the championship, don't mind about the 1 or 2 loss in friendly matches. Don't forget the fantastic worldcup you did, you lost undeserved against Ukraine.
You have incredible loud crowds and they will be doubtless the 12th man on the field. I'm pretty sure Switzerland will go through, and considering they gonna play probably against Croatia or Poland I see them in the first 4. I'm happy Italy got not in the same group of Switzerland, you have always blood in your eyes when you play against us! :wink: Probably more than the same french!.......................
Is it?............:hmm:
Oh, no................no, not more than the french, more than the french it's impossible...................
Only GERMANS have more bloodshot eyes than french when they play (LOSE) against us!
:wink:

Last edited:
Germany vs Italy was such an exciting match at the world cup last year. i think the germans will want revenge.....

1stepcloser said:
Germany vs Italy was such an exciting match at the world cup last year. i think the germans will want revenge.....

Clear...........................they always want revenge......................
Unfortunately, then.....................it's always a head banging!

:wink:

Germany is always my fav target, they seem like a boxeur who has never enough to take the punches. Last year they denigrated us in all the possible forms, from Beckenbauer to the press.....................Cheaters, thieves, Maccaroni eater, Pizza eater, mother's boys......................(probably they only forgot "their wives fuckers") We kept in silence, head down, and as history tells, we ripped their ass off.
Myself, I was born in Germany, I lived there for many years of my life, I had always good relationships with them. But when it comes up to football, let me say them:

"German brothers, please, give it up! We love you! Isn't your ass worn out enough?.............Don't get angry anymore, live in peace!"

:wink: :wink: :wink:

babyman said:

Germany is always my fav target, they seem like a boxeur who has never enough to take the punches. Last year they denigrated us in all the possible forms, from Beckenbauer to the press.....................Cheaters, thieves, Maccaroni eater, Pizza eater, mother's boys......................(probably they only forgot "their wives fuckers") We kept in silence, head down, and as history tells, we ripped their ass off.

:laugh:

never write off the germans though. as they all say.

what's wrong with being a pizza eater? everyone loves pizza!

In my opinion, the European championship is a better tournament than the World Cup for the simple reason that most, if not all, of the 16 competing nations are relatively good soccer teams, making it a tougher road for the eventual champions.

The last World Cup, for example, had some clearly inferior teams such as Trinidad and Tobago, Togo, Iran, and Saudi Arabia in the field, thus diluting the quality of play.

What do you guys think?

BonoManiac said:
In my opinion, the European championship is a better tournament than the World Cup for the simple reason that most, if not all, of the 16 competing nations are relatively good soccer teams, making it a tougher road for the eventual champions.

The last World Cup, for example, had some clearly inferior teams such as Trinidad and Tobago, Togo, Iran, and Saudi Arabia in the field, thus diluting the quality of play.

What do you guys think?

It's definately a more open tournament, but not necessarily more exciting.

T&T deserved at least a draw against England, and would've probably got one if it wasn't for some lanky overhyped fuck pulling the defender's hair. Togo were competitive against Sth Korea and France.

Mind you, I'm biased cause I'm Asian...and not European.

BonoManiac said:

What do you guys think?

Yes, totally agree! There's more competition, because it is shorter, just 3 weeks, and the games are every 3 days, so the teams remain more concentrated. Mostly because it's only european football, so the players have more confidence as to play against african or american teams who most of the times can play unpredictable and win. So there's more space for a surprise because most of the times the games are always leveled. For instance, Denmark and Greece (who probably will never win a world cup) could win a title in 1992 and 2004, beating Germany and Portugal and winning also against stronger teams. In a world cup, a medium leveled team could never reach a final, in 2002 Turkey and South Korea reached the semifinals, but then they got no chance against Brazil and Germany, while in a Euro tournament there's more suspence and more possibilities of various results. Greece did an incredible road, they're title was superb, they got in the group with Portugal, Spain and Russia, you probably would have bet on their last place, but they went through. Quarter final against France, you would have bet over a 5-0 for France, they got kicked off. Semifinal against Czech Republic, who were surely the best team in 2004, result? Greece won. Final against Portugal playing at home, how could you imagine that Portugal could have ever lost a final at home?! Against Greece?! They lost, Greece won, great! Something like that never happened in a world cup, and will never happen in my opinion, if it happens, just once in history. Probably, if Greece (or Denmark) would play against Brazil or Argentina or against some african/american team, they wouldn't have any chance.

why is crouch overhyped? he's barely started a game this season for liverpool. and every time he has played he's played well.

1stepcloser said:
why is crouch overhyped? he's barely started a game this season for liverpool. and every time he has played he's played well.

Sorry, just coming from an Aussie perspective, the media like to talk him up cause he's English and we're supposed to support the English national side as a second team down here, according to the Aussie mainstream media anyway.....

intedomine said:

Sorry, just coming from an Aussie perspective, the media like to talk him up cause he's English and we're supposed to support the English national side as a second team down here, according to the Aussie mainstream media anyway.....

So the Aussie media talks up EVERY english player, or is it just Crouch......? Just don't understood.....

:scratch:

If they're English, their talked up. It's as simple as that.

You never hear about the brilliance of players like Pirlo, Gattuso, Messi, Schweinstieger....

to be fair i saw some of that LA galaxy vs sydney fc match and the aussie commentators just wouldn't shut up about beckham. i know that he's probably the only reason why a lot of fans turned up to see that game but still. all through the match they just went on and on about his career highlights, his best goals, how popular he is over the world, what he's doing now, how perfect his free kicks are ect...

1stepcloser said:
to be fair i saw some of that LA galaxy vs sydney fc match and the aussie commentators just wouldn't shut up about beckham. i know that he's probably the only reason why a lot of fans turned up to see that game but still. all through the match they just went on and on about his career highlights, his best goals, how popular he is over the world, what he's doing now, how perfect his free kicks are ect...

Seems obvious that this isn't any true football comment, just conventional talking..........................

Wow, this 1 nearly passed me by, for some strange reason. I'll go for Spain to win.
Its a long way off yet, and for obvious reasons I'm not particularly looking forward to it at the moment, but when its time for kick-off I imagine I'll watch most of the matches, as Zoomerang said, group C really is a monster of a group, which from a neutrals point of view makes it all the more interesting.

i'm still toying as to whether i should put a sneaky bet on spain to win. they're probably technically the best team in europe (fabregas can't get a game for them despite being the 2nd best player in arguably the best league in the world, THAT'S how good their midfield is).

the only problem is they always bottle it on the big stage. one day that's got to change though surely??

1stepcloser said:
i'm still toying as to whether i should put a sneaky bet on spain to win. they're probably technically the best team in europe (fabregas can't get a game for them despite being the 2nd best player in arguably the best league in the world, THAT'S how good their midfield is).

the only problem is they always bottle it on the big stage. one day that's got to change though surely??

Well, seeing as england chose to have a rest this season (ahem, ) 1Step, I'd really like to see Spain win this tournament, as you rightly point out technically they are a fabulous team, with some wonderful players, but if 1 national side have tried to outdo ingerland as mega underachievers Spain are that team.

Back
Top Bottom