Ethics question (3)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AcrobatMan

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Song of the week "sentimental" by Porcupine Tree
How ethical or unethical is this !!

Suppose someone ( say A) migrates from country X to country Y. Takes citizenship of country Y. And when it is a match ( sports match like football or something) between X and Y - openly supports country X. Even the decendents of A who had citizenship of country Y by birth continue to support X in a X-Y sports encounter ( football, hockey, cricket or any other game).

So isnt this unethical ?

I don't think it counts with teams. People usually like teams for reasons other than their location, such as certain players or an interesting story behind them or something. My husband was born and raised in CA and moved here, but he didn't switch to the Redskins, he's still a 49er fan.

I am a big fan of team loyalty, especially vs. bandwagoning (jumping on and off being a fan of a team depending on who's hot at the time) So I would say if you have always rooted for team X don't switch to team Y or you are a 'ban fan' ;)

I don't think so, you may be a citizen of country Y but you remain a member of X's nation and have the right retain that cultural identity - including support for your team.

Yeah, don't tell the NFL refs. They're more biased than people discussing politics! ;)

A_Wanderer said:
I don't think so, you may be a citizen of country Y but you remain a member of X's nation and have the right retain that cultural identity - including support for your team.

I am not talking about dual citizenship. Suppose for getting citizenship of Y you need to completely leave citizenship of X.

U2kitten - i am not talking intra-country clubs or team. I am talking about inter-country. Like USA and Mexico

Yeah I mean nation as in like Greek Nation, you can be a citizen of a different country but you are still a Greek.

I root for Canadian teams in hockey...is that a problem?

I think I'm going to move this to Put 'em Under Pressure, being as it's not a really hot-button political or religious issue. More people will care about it there.

I know what you mean Acrobat. Im not too fussed out it as long as its restricted to sport.

When it starts turning into gang warfare in suburbs involving people who have never set foot in the country they are "defending" nor the one they are "attacking" - then its really wrong in my mind. :down:

beli said:
I know what you mean Acrobat. Im not too fussed out it as long as its restricted to sport.

When it starts turning into gang warfare in suburbs involving people who have never set foot in the country they are "defending" nor the one they are "attacking" - then its really wrong in my mind. :down:

:up:

Well, nationality and ethnicity are two different things. I don't really get bothered by people rooting for whoever. During the World Cup, the Italians here go nuts, the Portuguese just as nuts, etc. You have to remember they grew up in homes where their fathers likely talked forever and ever about the teams and there is of course an emotional response.

Root for whomever, so long as there isn't hooliganism, I couldn't care less.

anitram said:
Well, nationality and ethnicity are two different things. I don't really get bothered by people rooting for whoever. During the World Cup, the Italians here go nuts, the Portuguese just as nuts, etc. You have to remember they grew up in homes where their fathers likely talked forever and ever about the teams and there is of course an emotional response.

Root for whomever, so long as there isn't hooliganism, I couldn't care less.

:up:

Indeed. Just because you received a new citizenship, that does not mean you have to forget where you came from.
I don't see a problem in it.

Because taking citizenship doesn't remove heritage?
:der:
Citizency is a piece of paper which can never remove where we are from. We can happily flit from one country to another, welcoming and adopting our new country's practices habits and mores, but sometimes nothjing will cut the ties of where we come from.

Do you have an answer on how it could be unethical?

I fail to see what ethics and some sense of national pride have to do with each other in the first place really :confused:

I could support the soccer team of swahililand if I thought they were the most skilfull players I've ever seen
I don't think that would make me less dutch
just an admirer of the game

Angela Harlem said:
Because taking citizenship doesn't remove heritage?
:der:
Citizency is a piece of paper which can never remove where we are from. We can happily flit from one country to another, welcoming and adopting our new country's practices habits and mores, but sometimes nothjing will cut the ties of where we come from.

Do you have an answer on how it could be unethical?

suppose you are good in that sports - you play for country Y. Then would you still root for country X while playing for country Y.

Salome said:
I fail to see what ethics and some sense of national pride have to do with each other in the first place really :confused:

I could support the soccer team of swahililand if I thought they were the most skilfull players I've ever seen
I don't think that would make me less dutch
just an admirer of the game

So will you root for Swahililand in Swahiland Vs Netherland match.

It is correct when you say that Swahililand players has better skills than dutch players ( suppose thats the case)... But will you dance in joy on the streets of Amsterdam ( :drool: ) if Swahililand wins agains Dutch

Having an admiration for skills in sports is a good thing :up: irrespective of the nationality... but that was not my question.

Whether you care or dont care..have problem or dont have problem... was not what i was asking

I won't be dancing on any streets even if holland won the world championship in 2006

and I still don't get what ethics would have to do with it either

AcrobatMan said:

ok i stop.. may be i need a better medium to explain

I think we need a bit of clarification before we can accurately answer your question. Is the person in question merely a fan or is he an athlete/coach/official? I think knowing the answer to that question makes a huge difference.

If the person is simply a fan, then I think supporting the team from the former country is perfectly acceptable. I would even find this person (or any other) supporting any other nation's team acceptable also. Hell, I don't even support every move my country does in the international arena, and I certainly do not think that is unethical! (And I mean this in a political/real life way, not simply sports.)

However, if the person in question is an athlete/coach/official (in the competition, that is), etc., I can see that this situation would be unethical. It is unethical because then the person would have a direct bearing on the outcome of the game. A player who wants his opponent to win isn't exactly going to try very hard. A coach may put in a weaker player, or call a bad play, causing his team to lose. And an official may be biased towards one team.

I can even see that someone with a less direct bearing on the outcome of the game might do something unethical if he was cheering against the team he was now working for. For instance, a scout may not give an accurate picture of the opposing team's strengths and weaknesses, or a team doctor may say a player is fit when he isn't (or vice versa).

Last edited:
I don't see what could be unethical about it. I was born in England but I didn't support England in Euro 2004 because there are other teams I think play better football and I'd rather see one of them win.

Back
Top Bottom