ESPN's televising of the Pamplona Running of the Bulls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pub crawler

New Yorker
Er, is this a joke?

ESPN "scores" each day's run in terms of injuries and gorings. And the announcers get really excited about the gorings.

I watched the whole show. It was kind of interesting. But gory.

:mac: :cool:

gory is one way to look at it.

but, and i don't know much about the event but i imagine it is beloved in the region, is it not possible they are only reflecting the nature of the event?
either way i'm sure that's what they would tell you if you asked.

True kobayashi, I'm sure that is what ESPN would say, but on the other hand they don't make any pretense about what they're after - they tally injuries and gorings. That's really the only "score" they give (although they do give running times, but the times don't seem to be relevant to anything in particular, i.e., nobody is trying to best a previous running time). I dunno, I just find the whole thing amusing, odd and maybe a wee bit questionable.

But I watched. :mac:

I'm pretty sure that all of the participants are participating voluntarily, though I wouldn't be surprised if many of them were under the influence.

Is it really any worse than, say, boxing?

speedracer said:
I'm pretty sure that all of the participants are participating voluntarily, though I wouldn't be surprised if many of them were under the influence.

except perhaps the bulls?!?!?
I think its a stupid cruel sport, but yes any human participants who are hurt or killed (and invariably there are) have no-one to blame but themselves.
However having said that, the tv coverage seems tasteless, and its not really a sport anyway is it?

cloudimani said:

except perhaps the bulls?!?!?
I think its a stupid cruel sport, but yes any human participants who are hurt or killed (and invariably there are) have no-one to blame but themselves.
However having said that, the tv coverage seems tasteless, and its not really a sport anyway is it?

I studied bull fighting for my a-level presentation of 15 mins this year-I was really not against it before i started but when i finished i didnt mind it as much- although WE dont see it as a sport here its a big Spanish tradition and they consider it a sport- anyway what IS a sport? Who can define it?

Living in a country where the bulls are a tradition, mostly based on our historic roots, I want to express my views, bullfighting is not a sport, they call it a FIESTA, which translates as PARTY, well, I don't like bull fighting, I think is an anachronic spectacle, and a shame, in fact I guess a big part of the people in my country think the same.
About Pamplona, the tradition of taking the bulls through the streets to the PLAZA,has hundreds of years, funny, is that if even most days the are people hurt, a dead is very rare, about 11 people have died in the past century, which considering the number of people every day during the time the Fiesta de San Fermin lasts, is even surpricingly small, many will find this crazy, but actually tere is even a technic to run properly with the bulls, or what to do in every situation, like having a newspaper, when falling don't get up, when a bull gets still, don't move, et al, I have the impression that some americans get fascinated by this explosion of adrenaline, since there are tons of tourist every year, specially americans, ( I wonder if Ernest Hemingway fascination with bulls had something to do) and in fact most wounded or for instance the last one that died in Pamplona was an american about a decade ago.
Oh, I would never ever would go there!

i read the matadors and picadors all regarded it as an art because of the skill and footwork involved

Lara Mullen said:
i read the matadors and picadors all regarded it as an art because of the skill and footwork involved

I have hear his, in diferent arguments I has had with people that love bull fighting here, and my point is always, " To rob a bank you also need skills"

:D :D :D

Bullfighting does seem very......*trying to find the right word* ah it'll come to me later

bullfighting is barbaric and disgusting and a disgrace. sorry to anyone who likes it, but i have strong feelings against it.

who defines a sport??well id call this one a bloodsport in the very worst sense of the word. cept.....i dunno if id even glorify it by calling it any type of sport

Working here at ESPN, I can tell you that this company feels like they have to do many gimmicky things to attract viewers. We use things like focus groups to help us determine not only what we should air but how we should air it!:grumpy:

Back
Top Bottom