Episode 3: Best and worst.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mdw3935 said:

I took my 10 year old son to see the movie since he loves Star Wars, he is too much like his mom. :wink:

He loved the Obi-Wan/General Grievious battle. First words out of his mouth when Grievious had 4 light sabers was 'AWESOME'.
The one part he did close his eyes for was of course the part when Anakin catches on fire and starts to burn.

I guess that would look cool to a 10 year old boy. And that was sad when Anakin started to burn, poor thing, I felt sorry for him even though he had turned to the dark side. I guess that would upset a kid who had been into the first 2 movies and really liked Anakin. :(

Other than that he loved the movie and hasn't stop talking about
it. I wanted him to see a Star Wars movie up on the big screen, it's a totally different thing than on a tv.

It was nice being able to take my oldest to see it, just like my parents did my brother and I when the first one came out in '77. :up:

I saw Star Wars in '77 too when I was a kid. I took my oldest to see this one, I don't think the younger ones would have behaved long enough. But they'll see it when I buy the video!

My 4 year old little girl wanted to go, she loves Darth Vader, but there was no way I was taking her to see this one on the big screen. She will just have to wait to see it on dvd when it comes out. Even then I'll skip over the sad parts.

The times I went to go and see it though, there were a lot of younger kids with their parents there. I did notice a few of them crying when Anakin started to burn, and not just tears rolling down the face, I mean sobbing out loud. I felt sorry for them because I don't think they were old enough to figure out that it was just a movie and not real. :(

Of course my parents took me to see Jaws when it came out and I was only 7 or 8. Talk about believing what you saw on the big screen. I didn't want anything to do with going to the beach or swimming in pools, even taking baths I was scared that shark was coming up the drain hole to get me. :yikes:

That's sad. I saw a lot of stunned and disturbed kids coming out of the theater. :(

Heck, I even came out of the theatre a bit disturbed and I'm an adult and not even that emotionally involved in Star Wars. I would definitely think twice before taking very young ones to see it.

U2Kitten said:
There was also no comic relief for kids, like the ewoks or JarJar.

During the beginning half hour or so, R2-D2 provides comic relief, but that soon goes away.

Best: Anything between Obi and Ani at Mustafar. Amazing.
Yoda knocking off those guards. :ohmy:
"Always on the move" Gotta love Obiwan.

Worst: "hold me like you did on Naboo" SHUT UP
General Grievous... Not necessary for the film, a very boring character. Execute order 66... Bleh!

Thanks for the 'nooo' pic I'm going to make a sig of it. I don't hate the 'nooo' line, what else was he supposed to do, assuming he still had emotions? He had turned to the dark side and become half machine for nothing since she was dead, and he hated himself for causing it. I don't know why he didn't turn on the emperor at that point though, blame him, kill him, take power for himself.

Its not the 'Nooooo' that kills me - its the insanely melodramatic Scarlett O'Hara gesture that went with it. Totally unforgivable.

Ant.

Last edited:
Anthony said:
Its not the 'Nooooo' that kills me - its the insanely melodramatic Scarlett O'Hara gesture that went with it. Totally unforgivable.

Ant.

What would be a better alternative?

Frankly, I thought Vader would go after Sidious, get knocked down by him, and then realize that he (Vader) will always be subservient to Sidious.

nbcrusader said:

Frankly, I thought Vader would go after Sidious, get knocked down by him, and then realize that he (Vader) will always be subservient to Sidious.

Did you notice how Sidious was all smiles when he told Vader that Padme was dead!?

Maybe he shouldn't have screamed out No. After getting so mad and breaking everything instead of saying "nnnoooooo!!" maybe he should have accepted that he caused it and there is no turning back for him now. He is with the dark side. I don't know, just an idea.

I did love the smirk Palpatine had when he told Vader that he killed Padme, such pure evil. :mac:

I kind of like your alternative. Yes, have him scream 'Nooooo!', have more stuff fly across the room (some even aimed at Palpatine) and then maybe have him draw his lightsabre (after all, it now transpires that the whole reason he joined the Sith was a lie) , but Palpatine easily throws him across the room and says something like 'You did what had to be done, Lord Vader. The name of Anakin Skywalker will no longer bare any meaning for you. Only though Me, and the dark side, do you exist. Never forget it." Then, after a long pause of acceptance, he can say what he ends up saying ad infinitum in the Old Trilogy 'Yes, my master'.

I didnt see Palpatine smile at all during that scene, I thought he was strangely solemn. You know what this means, dont you? Time for a fourth viewing...

Ant.

Anthony said:

I didnt see Palpatine smile at all during that scene, I thought he was strangely solemn. You know what this means, dont you? Time for a fourth viewing...

Ant.

:giggle: I've been looking for an excuse to see it a third time. :)

mdw3935 said:

:giggle: I've been looking for an excuse to see it a third time. :)

No you all have excuses!

Did you see George Lucas's cameo?

No, then another screening

Did you see the Millenium Falcon?

No then get your ass back to the theater.

Have you seen it in Digital?

Well drive the two hours to do it!

hehehehehe

Anthony said:

I kind of like your alternative. Yes, have him scream 'Nooooo!', have more stuff fly across the room (some even aimed at Palpatine) and then maybe have him draw his lightsabre (after all, it now transpires that the whole reason he joined the Sith was a lie) , but Palpatine easily throws him across the room and says something like 'You did what had to be done, Lord Vader. The name of Anakin Skywalker will no longer bare any meaning for you. Only though Me, and the dark side, do you exist. Never forget it." Then, after a long pause of acceptance, he can say what he ends up saying ad infinitum in the Old Trilogy 'Yes, my master'.

Ant.

I thought that the dialog revealed in the first teaser trailer would have actually taken place after this smackdown. Vader get angry, tries to strike Sidious, Sidious smacks him down, heavy Vader breathing, Sidious says "Vader, reply is "Yes, Master", then "Rise".

I caught the two smiles during my third viewing.....

I did catch the Millenium Falcon my second time around.
I didn't see George Lucas though? Where was his cameo?

I guess I'm off for a third time around. :D

Vader get angry, tries to strike Sidious, Sidious smacks him down, heavy Vader breathing, Sidious says "Vader, reply is "Yes, Master", then "Rise".

Hey, I like that even better! That is actually how I imagined it would be. As for the evil smile, I'll try to check it out tomorrow.

The scene at the opera. There's a shot of Anakin running across the hall, then another shot of him running down a corridor and then entering Palpatine's box, if you scan your eyes around (I forget where exactly on the screen he is), he's the rather portly gentleman with the blue face and the regal red hat, talking to a rather portly blue lady (who happens to be his daughter). Baron Papanoida or something to that effect.

Ant.

mdw3935 said:
I did catch the Millenium Falcon my second time around.

I guess I'm off for a third time around. :D

Anakin goes to the concert hall at the request of Palpatine. He runs up some stairs, then approaches the camera before entering Palpatine's private box. You will see Lucas as Anakin approaches the box and enters the door.

Lucas is dressed in a goofy looking psuedo military uniform and has a blue face. He is standing on the left side of the screen speaking with another character in similar garb.

edited to add: Doh! Just saw Anthony's response

Last edited:
Anthony said:

dang, i like that idea a LOT better than what happened (still need to ditch the 'NOOOOOOO!' though, lol) it would be a lot more faithful to vader's character too. why did they have to make him such a whiny little bitch? i hate darth emo!!

Best - Fight scene between Annakin and Obi Wan, both for the action, and the emotion...I bought into it. The "I hate you" line seemed pretty real to me.

Worst - How quickly Annakin goes from "I'm confused" to "I'll kill some Jedi kids"....damn.

Liked the film a lot, though, flaws and all.

If Lucas made a 2-hour travelogue about fake planets, I'd sit and watch...he might not be a wordsmith, but he sure knows how to populate his worlds with wonderous sights.

Oh, and, while I do not want to blindly give Lucas credit...he's not a moron....so, I'm thinking the whole "Execute Plan 66" thing was kind of an homage to the types of films he grew up watching. Otherwise, yeah, he could have come up with something a tad more creative.

Last edited:
bollox said:
why did they have to make him such a whiny little bitch?

It was forshadowing Luke's "But I was going to Toshi Station to buy some power converters" line. The all time whiniest line in movie history!

nbcrusader said:

It was forshadowing Luke's "But I was going to Toshi Station to buy some power converters" line. The all time whiniest line in movie history!

LMAO! It really is. :yes:

Best: Anakin sees Obi Wan standing on the ramp of Padme's crusier.

Worst: The "Roger Roger" of the super battle droids. The looked menacing in AOTC, now silly.

Back
Top Bottom