Enterprise, anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theSoulfulMofo

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Been watching (Star Trek) Enterprise lately...

The premiere seemed to be a pretty cool two hour movie... Film production is top-notch, given that it's wide screen, presumably filmed on quality film... Funny how everything in the show seems more advanced than the days of Kirk...

However, as much of a Trekker I am/used to be, I'm still pretty critical... My first negative impression was that Berman/Braga portrays the Enterprise characters with an igornant sense of optimism on the nature of humanity... It's so cheezy, it's just plain dumb.

The other major problem I have with the show is that the writing's gone worse, the directing and acting is just as bad... especially after watching the two episodes following the premiere... writing's too cheezy preechy, acting's too amateurish (or was that the directors fault?)

Another little pet peeve of mine is that the show seemed a little too, pardon my poor choice of words, redneck... com'n... few centuries into the future, and Cmdr. Trip still talks like that?

Anyways... just my $.02

------------------
"Lookin for baby Jesus under the trash..."

igornant sense of optimism on the nature of humanity... It's so cheezy, it's just plain dumb.

The other major problem I have with the show is that the writing's gone worse, the directing and acting is just as bad... especially after watching the two episodes following the premiere... writing's too cheezy preechy, acting's too amateurish (or was that the directors fault?)

Another little pet peeve of mine is that the show seemed a little too, pardon my poor choice of words, redneck... com'n... few centuries into the future, and Cmdr. Trip still talks like that?

Anyways... just my $.02

I found the characters to be nagging and think the acting is awful when compared to the last three Star Trek shows. Is it the writing ? Are they trying so hard NOT to be like the other shows they are failing?

I do like the premise and hope that the show will improve. Bring Back Q and get rid of that stupid theme song and maybe you will have yourself a hit!

I Think your comments pretty much reflect many Star Trek fans.

Star%20Trek%20Enterprise%20Cutaway.jpg

------------------
Gao to those that do not understand.

Im not much of a star trek fan at all, I enjoyed Next Generation, and that was about it for me... deep space nine was like a babylon 5 rip off, and voyager... well voyager just sucked, lets face it. So in my minds eye, as long as this is better than voyager, it gets a thumbs up from me. However, I refuse to watch star trek anymore, or openly talk on the matter, since I am trying to be "normal" so w/e thats all youll get out of me.

so sayeth the unforgettable one

LOL!

Originally posted by ~unforgettableFOXfire~:
and voyager... well voyager just sucked, lets face it.

I thought that all the guys love Voyager because of Seven of Nine. Might have been wrong.

I love Star Trek, have been a trekkie since the days of Captain Kirk and Spock. Of course there have been rather "stupid" episodes, but i think that they still among the best things on telly (and cinema).

Some of you have mentioned that they find of optimism on the nature of humanity too cheezy, but that?s what I like about it. It shows us an alternative to all the other (negative) science fiction stuff. I think it?s important to show a more optimistic way. If this is what it?ll be like, who knows, but I surely hope that it?ll be somehow like that in the future
smile.gif

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Originally posted by AM:
I thought that all the guys love Voyager because of Seven of Nine. Might have been wrong.

Just because some of us watched the show for Jeri Ryan and her talents DOESN'T mean we liked the show.

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

Originally posted by Achtung Bubba:
Just because some of us watched the show for Jeri Ryan and her talents DOESN'T mean we liked the show.

ah right, thanks for clearing it up
smile.gif
but my brother only watches Voyager because of Jeri

------------------
Action-Packed Mentallist

"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Enterprise seems ok, but nothing special. So far better than Voyager.. but then I'm no expert.

I stick with my Babylon 5 since it's more about characters and epic stories than technological gizmoes.

In all honesty, it's probably FAR too early to judge this show -- it took TNG and DS9 a season or two to find their rhythm.

As is, I will say that I've enjoyed the show so far -- but I'm concerned that the show will degenerate into mediocrity, ignore canon, and resort to ratings stunts (like the decontamination scene in the pilot).

------------------
- Achtung Bubba

I believe in truth, beauty, freedom, and -- above all things -- love.

TO TREK OR NOT TO TREK..THAT IS THE QUESTION!

I personally don't like the new show, it seems too..redneck. The plots are very predictable and the people seem too fake and glorified. I really don't like the writing style either, after only a few weeks it seems they are reverting to side stories already, we still don't even know half of te crew! But by far the real kick in the face for me was the going away from the traditional theme music style to a sort of 80's hair band style thing. I don't know, for some reason this show just rubs me the way.

But don't be too upset your die hards the TREKKIES shall come out on top in the end.

PEACE

Heh heh...her talents.

I hate the Enterprise theme song. Nothing says futuristic exploration like a Kenny Loggins knockoff.

------------------
"Good men die unhappily. Bad men die unluckily. THAT's tragedy." --Tom Stoppard

"I can't watch a man sing a song. He gets all emotional, he starts swaying...it's embarrassing!" -- Jerry Seinfeld

In all honesty, it's probably FAR too early to judge this show -- it took TNG and DS9 a season or two to find their rhythm.

I'll have to agree. Babylon 5's first episodes were rather mediocre and the pilot was pretty horrible, but the later episodes were so good as to warrant it being my favourite show of all time.

And amen to Popfly about the Enterprise theme song.. YEEECCCH!!

I've said it before and I'll say it again; there are only 2 reasons Seven of Nine is on Voyager... the left one and the right one.
smile.gif
Resistance is futile!

being in Australia, I haven't heard much about Enterprise... Mind you, every time I did hear something, my reaction was "Oh dear".
Set before Kirk? No tech, no aliens? Brightly coloured pyjamas? Big buttons on the computers? Bad acting, gung-ho Americanist propaganda? Preachy ideals? What Prime Directive? Smooth-headed Klingons? (Explain THAT one guys) Chirpy inane optimism?
*gag*
Sounds even worse than I'd expected... I do not like the sound of this "redneck" thing...
I usually love Star Trek (although sometimes I prefer B5), but at the same time, the first motion picture is in my top 5 worst movies of all time. Great idea, let down tragically.
Mind you, as I think someone pointed out, the first few episodes, if not the whole first season, of most shows sucks in comparison to later ones anyway.
I bet Channel 9 or whoever will premiere it in prime time but knock it back to 11pm within 3 weeks... Not that I have the faintest clue when it's screening down here anyway.
Is there no hope??

Back
Top Bottom