Enough of the hate...this is for the bands you love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Underworld. Underworld. wow.
Massive Attack
Outkast
The Wrens
The Decemberists
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Spoon
Andrew Bird
Augie March
et all

ravenette said:
The mighty Depeche Mode. The biggest cult band in the universe.

Cult band?! Maybe in Australia, but they've always been huge here.

the hives
the strokes
death cab
*snow patrol* (loved them before they were the opening act for the band)
postal service

they make me happy :wink:

Perhaps ravenette was commenting more on the...I dunno, reputation or illusion that Depeche Mode fans get here. It's not good or bad, just an occasional impression they get.

Bush
Shivaree
Talking Heads
INXS
Boom Crash Opera. Relive this band, you skips. Go on. :up:
I dunno...Same as everyone else really.

ravenette said:

Where's "here"?

If it's somewhere in Germany or L.A. etc.. I understand.

They're by no means "mainstream" here in Oz though.

Well, I'm from Ohio (rural Ohio at that) and I figure everyone at least knows of Depeche Mode. Then again I also thought everyone had at least heard of The Church too, and I've found I was sadly mistaken. I guess "well-known" depends on where you live and your circle of friends. Hell, I still have no clue who Robbie Williams is, but in some areas apparently he's huge (but considering the comments about him, not knowing him is no great loss ;) ).

New Model Army, for more than 25 years they think the world is a shitty place and happy to sing about that. Ofcourse it is fun to sing along on the concerts they give,...

HERE COMES THE WAR
(Sullivan/Heaton/Nelson) 1992

Today, as you listen to this song
Another 394,000 children were born into this world
They break like waves of hunger and desire upon these eroded shores
Carrying the curses of history and a history yet unwritten
The oil burns in thick black columns, the buzz saws echo through the forest floor
They shout give us our fair share, give us justice
Here comes the war

On a grey morning to the south of here
Two young men in makeshift uniforms peer into the misty light
And figures dart behind the trees
As a snap of rifle rounds echoes out across the fields
They hardly know their sacred mother tongue but they know their duty
To defend the flag hanging limp and bloody above the village church
While a thousand miles away, in a warehouse complex down by the river,
Young money men play paintball games
Here comes the war - put out the lights on the Age of Reason

So blow out the candle and tell us another of those great stories,
the ones about serial killers. Let dreams flow into savage times.
Do you hear the sirens scream across the city?
We've had three hot nights in succession - the riot season is here again
Dear Lord, lead us back into the Valley of the Shadow of Death,
Here comes the war. Did you think we were born in peaceful times?

Faster, faster, like a whirling dervish spinning round
Faster, faster, until the Centre cannot Hold
You screamed give us Liberty or give us Death
Now you've got both, what do you want next ?
Here comes the war - put out the lights on the Age of Reason.

:rockon:

My love is and ever will be STING :love:, but I don't think so that he has to be introduced to anyone. I also love The Police, of course and a few more, but there's a not-too-well-known band, BrainStorm I would like to introduce to you.

I've heard them first at the REM tour in Budapest, where they were the supporting band and they were really good, the crowd seemed to enjoy their music very much. So here's a little story about them from Baltic Times:

"The extraordinary story of BrainStorm will no doubt be recorded in the annals of Latvian history with the sort of fanfare typically reserved for national heroes.

Tales will be recounted about the five young men from Jelgava who made catchy, quirky pop music with heart-warming lyrics and went on to become the country’s most successful pop group. Legends will tell how the country adored them and they, in return, whether they were performing at Eurovision or opening for the Rolling Stones, proudly flew the flag for Latvia at every performance.

This group has always sought bigger things than sell-out concerts at Skonto Stadium or a “Best Group of the Year” prize at the Latvian Music Awards. Prata Vetra, as they are known in Latvian, want to make it in Europe. They are looking to be taken seriously by a wider audience.

Unpretentious and musically fluid, BrainStorm is a uniquely Latvian band. With their new album “Four Shores the group has returned to a more mainstream sound."

If you ever get a chance to listen to their music, please don't miss the opportunity and enjoy!

ravenette said:

Where's "here"?

Sorry about that, I meant the US. I'm with Indra in saying that I've never met someone in the US who didnt know who they were (in my age range at least).

Zootlesque said:
It's really written as C:censored:y.

:lmao:

Okay I know tons has been written about them but I'm a little late to the party - my friend sent me Arcade Fire's album a couple days ago and I love it. It's very different and addictive. Currently my favourite songs are Neighborhood #3 (Power Out), Wake Up, and Rebellion (Lies).

Also, Doves are great. I think they have two or three albums but the only one I have is their latest, Some Cities. I highly recommend it. They're like a more diverse and interesting version of C:censored:y :wink: that's how I think of them anyway, the singer's voice is a lot like Martin's. Musically...sometimes they sound like U2, sometimes The Velvet Underground, sometimes Television, sometimes motown, sometimes this, sometimes that...

Grandaddy

Their songs stir up bittersweet images of the future
It's like listening to a band who went away to some far away planet and came back sombered.

I'm not all that impressed with Sumday though. it's sounds like they took the easy way. Nothing here approaches the caliber of songwriting on Under The Western Highway and Sophtware Slump

Basstrap said:
Grandaddy

What's the deal with their new album? I thought it was supposed to be coming out this year, I havent heard a thing about it.

u2popmofo said:

What's the deal with their new album? I thought it was supposed to be coming out this year, I havent heard a thing about it.

Must have gone into the same black hole as the new Church album.... :mad:

u2popmofo said:

Sorry about that, I meant the US. I'm with Indra in saying that I've never met someone in the US who didnt know who they were (in my age range at least).

And you look quite old going by your avatar! :wink:

I guess my perspective is based on comparing U2 with them. U2 is more "mainstream", or at least, a "bigger" band in terms of publicity and record sales.

But it does have a lot to do with location and age...

:bump:

Whoa! Almost lost this one...but I went and dug it back up. :D

Art Of Fighting
Go-Betweens

Another couple of excellent bands.

GO Team! (actual name, not an indication of my excitement)
Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
The B52's
My Bloody Valentine
Sleater Kinney
Elliott Smith
Mercury Rev
Air

many others too, this is not a best-of list.

Oh, and how could I forget - 'Everything I Do (I do it for you) by Bryan Adams - from the Robin Hood Prince of Thieves soundtrack for you rock n roll afficianados! Good times!

I can't believe no one mentioned Muse?!?
They're really great! A bit like Radiohead, but again, totally different.
Surely one of my favourite bands. :drool:

Moonlit_Angel said:

They are good :yes:.

You know another band who I'd like to get more into? XTC. I really like what I've heard by them so far ("King For A Day"...:heart:. What a great song). I'm gonna keep an eye out for their CDs and that when I'm in a music store.

Angela

I used to listen to xtc all the time. Also love Violent Femmes, Oingo Boingo, REM, Natalie Merchant:drool: ,Love lots of new stuff out there too just trying to think of bands that rarely get mentioned. Clannad is a favorite for bedtime:wink:

<-------- are my favorite band!!!!! :love:

they have made some of the best music of the last 5 years and they rock my world live.

:drool:

Re: ToL!

dead nancy said:
since nobody else has mentioned them...

TOWERS OF LONDON!!!

http://www.thetowersoflondon.com/

they've started touring outside london, so can nyc be far behind? tourettes, come to new york!

:bow:

i saw them live a couple of months ago, absolutely blew my mind, was such an intense show. the funny thing is i wouldn't be that inclined to buy their album but as a live band, there aren't many better at the moment

Back
Top Bottom