England Vs Brazil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ace Rimmer

The Fly
Brazil did not look that good today against Belgium, I think we have have a good chance of beating them, They are a great attacking side but if you stop them from playing and attack them they look suspect..

4 days to go

Come On England!!!

Why does the Brazil manager insist on substituting Juniniho every match, He was the best man on the field today? I hope he continues that trend on friday ;)

I like Juninho a lot, but for me the best man in field this time around was Gilberto Silva...he's that kind of player that doesn't show of that much but he was everywhere, helping out and organizing things. Juninho is a fighter as well, but he made some mistakes on passing the ball ahead in this match.
I think our defence, although not perfect, was more effective today as well. And that goal by Rivaldo, what a goal! :)

D?-LHE BRASIL!!!

QUE VENHA A INGLATERRA!

;)

follower said:
I like Juninho a lot, but for me the best man in field this time around was Gilberto Silva...he's that kind of player that doesn't show of that much but he was everywhere, helping out and organizing things. Juninho is a fighter as well, but he made some mistakes on passing the ball ahead in this match.
I think our defence, although not perfect, was more effective today as well. And that goal by Rivaldo, what a goal! :)

D?-LHE BRASIL!!!

QUE VENHA A INGLATERRA!

;)

VAMOS BRASIL!

AcrobatMan said:
...and winner is most likely to lift the world cup
AcrobatMan

Why do you say that, its only quarter finals...and neither side has played particularly well in any match, England struggled against Sweden, and were lucky to come up against below par Argentina and Denmark, Brazil played horribly today and didnt particularly deserve to win, and havent really impressed in the group games either.
I dont see how you can already discount Spain, Italy (!) and Germany (who must be favourites to reach the semi's already...), and even the impressive Senegal as an outside bet, in fact they are the only team that seem to have played well in every game.
To say the winner of a particular quarter final will be the ultimate winner is an extremely narrow-minded view, and I certainly hope neither lift the trophy come June 30th

I saw the end of the Brazil game this morning on ESPN, but looking at the highlights Brazil looked lackluster. They didn't play particularly well and might have lost if they were playing another team. Then again, I said most of the same things about the US team and they went out and shut out Mexico.

You know what gets me upset sometimes? I said in another thread that nobody is as tough and exigent with our Sele??o as we Brasilians are, we are used to say that every single person in this country is a football coach. But I think we did played better this time around, but a few in this board seems to recognize that... For us Brasilians it is never enough to play decently or fairly, it seems that we must shine above all others! But why? What is really important is the final score and we're getting some success, you know, remember that we didn't loose any match. What's the problem with you guys? Please, give us a break and concentrate in what really matters...results. Thanks for reading.

cloudimani said:

I dont see how you can already discount Spain, Italy (!) and Germany (who must be favourites to reach the semi's already...), and even the impressive Senegal as an outside bet, in fact they are the only team that seem to have played well in every game.
To say the winner of a particular quarter final will be the ultimate winner is an extremely narrow-minded view, and I certainly hope neither lift the trophy come June 30th

You probably got the answer for ITALY today..They were so so lucky to enter the 2nd round, you must have know that..The Croats should have been there in their place ( but they played badly in their last game...ITALY were there because CROATS played badly )..About Spain, they are also lucky to be there..should have beaten by Ireland in EXTRA TIME.. Senegal..NO WAY..Good result for debutants..USA..no way..Turkey ..no way.....I see your point in Germany.. BRAZIL , ENGLAND and GERMANY ( one of these 3 ) are most likely to loft the trophy this month END..I used the word LIKELY..So I dont say that other results are not possible but there is a very less chance of that happening based on current form....

How can you say we were lucky????????!!!!!!!!!
We had 4 regoular goals turned invalid
and one today (and it was a golden goal) ...and Totti kicked out?
....sure...very very lucky

however good luck to everybody!!! Go Senegal!!!!!!

AcrobatMan said:

what would have happened if crotia played to their potential in their last match. ?

What if every team played to their potential?

Argentina and France would be headed to play in the semifinal...

Italy would be alive...

Brazil! Brazil! Brazil!

follower said:
You know what gets me upset sometimes? I said in another thread that nobody is as tough and exigent with our Sele??o as we Brasilians are, we are used to say that every single person in this country is a football coach. But I think we did played better this time around, but a few in this board seems to recognize that... For us Brasilians it is never enough to play decently or fairly, it seems that we must shine above all others! But why? What is really important is the final score and we're getting some success, you know, remember that we didn't loose any match. What's the problem with you guys? Please, give us a break and concentrate in what really matters...results. Thanks for reading.

follower, I think you realize by now that Brazil will not gain any admiration by beating China, Costa Rica, Turkey or even Belgium. It doesn't matter if the score is 1-0, 3-2 or 8-0.

If they can beat England, they will gain the respect you are looking for.

speedracer said:

follower, I think you realize by now that Brazil will not gain any admiration by beating China, Costa Rica, Turkey or even Belgium. It doesn't matter if the score is 1-0, 3-2 or 8-0.

If they can beat England, they will gain the respect you are looking for.

Sorry speedracer, but I cannot agree with you. Talking about Stage 1...who would say that France would loose to Senegal? Or that Portugal would loose to your very own USA? Or maybe that Italy would loose to Croatia? It could have happened to Brasil as well. They lost to theoretically weaker teams...The only exception was Argentina beat by England, but that?s another story...Lets say all those teams seems to have left their tradition behind. But it didn?t happen to our Sele??o. And that is a fact. As for Turkey, well they are still up for Quarterfinals, so I cannot see your point.
Now the Round of 16...who would say that again Senegal would beat Sweden? Or USA would beat Mexico? Or today?s disaster, Korea beat Italy...We haven?t lost yet. Period.
Despite all the problems that our Sele??o still presents I cannot agree with you when you talk about gaining respect, frankly. WE have gained respect throughout the whole history of the World Cup. Thank you.

follower,

That's just the burden of being a favorite.

I could be making the same comments about USA basketball, or Canadian hockey, or Russian gymnastics, etc. etc. Whether or not this sort of pressure is unfair, the favorites have to deal with it.

Gain respect?

A country won 4 world championships and still looks for respect?

The country that in every world cup play the most beautifull football.

Its silly.

Footy is weird sometimes, the team that play best sometimes doesn't win, the team that does the biggest effort to win sometimes don't.

In the first stage the team with more shots on goal was Argentina, still it was a dissaster.

Mexico had the ball almost 70 % of the time against USA but didn't really created any clear goal options.

Germany and England has been rather boring, still they are counted as favorites now.

What is respect in football?

To score one goal in the minute 5 and stack 10 men on defense the remaining 85?

just to get the result?

Or playing a kind of football that entertains the crowd and that also is able to get the result.

No one has done this better over the history like Brazil.

So far in this world cup, we haven't seen a dominant team, as we have in any world cup.

I think this tournament is wide open, the BIG teams are not that big anymore, and the small ones have certainly grow.

Whit the kind of refering we has had, I think luck may the the one that determines the outcome.

Last edited:
rafmed (and others),

Why would you say that a get-the-first-goal-and-then-play-defense is inferior to an offensive strategy?

With such low scoring in soccer, a lot of times the first goal is the game winner. It was for England and Germany, it wasn't for Italy.

I like watching teams with opposing strategies play each other. Korea vs. Italy was one such game. It looks like England vs. Brazil will be another.

Last edited:
speedracer said:
rafmed (and others),

Why would you say that a get-the-first-goal-and-then-play-defense is inferior to an offensive strategy?

With such low scoring in soccer, a lot of times the first goal is the game winner. It was for England and Germany, it wasn't for Italy.

I like watching teams with opposing strategies play each other. Korea vs. Italy was one such game. It looks like England vs. Brazil will be another.

I don't know if inferior, but at least some teams are more fun to watch, I will not blame Denmark, USA or Sweden for playing defensive, I guess is the only way they have to succeed. But for teams like Italy and sometimes this Sven's England, it makes me sad that we can't see the skills of their players just for tactical reasons, that in some cases, as Italy so far, backfire to them.

Since finding this site dedicated to U2, I have "met" people from all round the world. Some people have been extra kind to me, one from Brasil, two from England and one from Mexico.
It is hard enough, Englandv Brasil, but just to add to the cocktail, I heard last night they have chosen a Mexican ref for THE game.
VAMOS RAMOS!! , Keep your eyes open and FIFA's influence shut amigo. Good luck.

I've been people from other places too ( especially the USA) but no so connected with soccer.:)

GO Brasil Go England Go Brasil Go England:question:

1-1 at half, Michael Owen scoring off a quick counterattack with most of the Brazil defenders caught upfield, then Rivaldo getting the equalizer in injury time after some slick dribbling by Ronaldinho. Exciting.

Aw well, with like almost 15 left Im convinced and possibly right Brazil will win................two very competitive teams there...........and u see if Im right? and it DOES end 2-1 to Brazil?

That was my fuking predication from the beginnin of the week!

:eek:

I swear to......

Back
Top Bottom