England Vs Brazil - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-18-2002, 09:56 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by follower
You know what gets me upset sometimes? I said in another thread that nobody is as tough and exigent with our Seleção as we Brasilians are, we are used to say that every single person in this country is a football coach. But I think we did played better this time around, but a few in this board seems to recognize that... For us Brasilians it is never enough to play decently or fairly, it seems that we must shine above all others! But why? What is really important is the final score and we're getting some success, you know, remember that we didn't loose any match. What's the problem with you guys? Please, give us a break and concentrate in what really matters...results. Thanks for reading.
follower, I think you realize by now that Brazil will not gain any admiration by beating China, Costa Rica, Turkey or even Belgium. It doesn't matter if the score is 1-0, 3-2 or 8-0.

If they can beat England, they will gain the respect you are looking for.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:21 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer

follower, I think you realize by now that Brazil will not gain any admiration by beating China, Costa Rica, Turkey or even Belgium. It doesn't matter if the score is 1-0, 3-2 or 8-0.

If they can beat England, they will gain the respect you are looking for.
Sorry speedracer, but I cannot agree with you. Talking about Stage 1...who would say that France would loose to Senegal? Or that Portugal would loose to your very own USA? Or maybe that Italy would loose to Croatia? It could have happened to Brasil as well. They lost to theoretically weaker teams...The only exception was Argentina beat by England, but that´s another story...Lets say all those teams seems to have left their tradition behind. But it didn´t happen to our Seleção. And that is a fact. As for Turkey, well they are still up for Quarterfinals, so I cannot see your point.
Now the Round of 16...who would say that again Senegal would beat Sweden? Or USA would beat Mexico? Or today´s disaster, Korea beat Italy...We haven´t lost yet. Period.
Despite all the problems that our Seleção still presents I cannot agree with you when you talk about gaining respect, frankly. WE have gained respect throughout the whole history of the World Cup. Thank you.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:45 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

follower,

That's just the burden of being a favorite.

I could be making the same comments about USA basketball, or Canadian hockey, or Russian gymnastics, etc. etc. Whether or not this sort of pressure is unfair, the favorites have to deal with it.
Old 06-18-2002, 10:53 PM   #19
Refugee

I know. We will. Lets wait patiently for next Thursday.
Old 06-18-2002, 11:34 PM   #20
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Gain respect?

A country won 4 world championships and still looks for respect?

The country that in every world cup play the most beautifull football.

Its silly.

Footy is weird sometimes, the team that play best sometimes doesn't win, the team that does the biggest effort to win sometimes don't.

In the first stage the team with more shots on goal was Argentina, still it was a dissaster.

Mexico had the ball almost 70 % of the time against USA but didn't really created any clear goal options.

Germany and England has been rather boring, still they are counted as favorites now.

What is respect in football?

To score one goal in the minute 5 and stack 10 men on defense the remaining 85?

just to get the result?

Or playing a kind of football that entertains the crowd and that also is able to get the result.

No one has done this better over the history like Brazil.

So far in this world cup, we haven't seen a dominant team, as we have in any world cup.

I think this tournament is wide open, the BIG teams are not that big anymore, and the small ones have certainly grow.

Whit the kind of refering we has had, I think luck may the the one that determines the outcome.
Old 06-19-2002, 12:03 AM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

rafmed (and others),

Why would you say that a get-the-first-goal-and-then-play-defense is inferior to an offensive strategy?

With such low scoring in soccer, a lot of times the first goal is the game winner. It was for England and Germany, it wasn't for Italy.

I like watching teams with opposing strategies play each other. Korea vs. Italy was one such game. It looks like England vs. Brazil will be another.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:52 PM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Although I am supporting England, I must say that BRAZILIAN football is most exciting. However the RIVALDO's oscar winning performance was rather unnecessary. But players from most countries do it ..WHAT a shame !!

AM
Old 06-20-2002, 09:26 AM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 07:32 AM

Kick off in 16 hours and 47 minutes ... But whos counting.
Old 06-20-2002, 09:53 AM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by speedracer
rafmed (and others),

Why would you say that a get-the-first-goal-and-then-play-defense is inferior to an offensive strategy?

With such low scoring in soccer, a lot of times the first goal is the game winner. It was for England and Germany, it wasn't for Italy.

I like watching teams with opposing strategies play each other. Korea vs. Italy was one such game. It looks like England vs. Brazil will be another.
I don't know if inferior, but at least some teams are more fun to watch, I will not blame Denmark, USA or Sweden for playing defensive, I guess is the only way they have to succeed. But for teams like Italy and sometimes this Sven's England, it makes me sad that we can't see the skills of their players just for tactical reasons, that in some cases, as Italy so far, backfire to them.
Old 06-20-2002, 03:43 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:32 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Eliv8
Kick off in 16 hours and 47 minutes ... But whos counting.
i am
Old 06-20-2002, 03:53 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:32 AM
Since finding this site dedicated to U2, I have "met" people from all round the world. Some people have been extra kind to me, one from Brasil, two from England and one from Mexico.
It is hard enough, Englandv Brasil, but just to add to the cocktail, I heard last night they have chosen a Mexican ref for THE game.
VAMOS RAMOS!! , Keep your eyes open and FIFA's influence shut amigo. Good luck.

I've been people from other places too ( especially the USA) but no so connected with soccer.

GO Brasil Go England Go Brasil Go England:question:
Old 06-20-2002, 03:57 PM   #27
Refugee

I'm not counting...lets say I'm just my bitting my nails.

VAMOS LÁ BRASIL!!!
Old 06-20-2002, 04:01 PM   #28
Refugee

Big Grin

LOL at your very own confusion cass..."the whole world turns, and you get dizzy"

*follower waves and says obrigada amiga *
Old 06-21-2002, 03:12 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

1-1 at half, Michael Owen scoring off a quick counterattack with most of the Brazil defenders caught upfield, then Rivaldo getting the equalizer in injury time after some slick dribbling by Ronaldinho. Exciting.
Old 06-21-2002, 03:55 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 03:32 PM

Aw well, with like almost 15 left Im convinced and possibly right Brazil will win................two very competitive teams there...........and u see if Im right? and it DOES end 2-1 to Brazil?

That was my fuking predication from the beginnin of the week!

I swear to......