England

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Sweetest_Thing

MacPhisto's serving wench
Soooo....England.

I'm going to be visiting England next year (hopefully, hopefully, provided that my friends and I can fund the trip) and England (specifically London, really) is on the trip.

What's worth seeing? I realize I'm not going for a long time yet, but I could use the daydreaming...

martha said:
Go up to the Lake District and see Beatrix Potter's place and then tell me what it's like.

I saw that last year! It was cute, kinda small. They redid part of the building so you can walk through it and it is designed to look like the forest. You see all the characters there like in their living rooms or the owls in a tree, etc. :)

The_Sweetest_Thing said:
Soooo....England.

I'm going to be visiting England next year (hopefully, hopefully, provided that my friends and I can fund the trip) and England (specifically London, really) is on the trip.

What's worth seeing? I realize I'm not going for a long time yet, but I could use the daydreaming...

I hear ya about the daydreaming. :sigh:

London.. go on the London Eye, it's really spectacular. You can see something like 27 miles in every direction on a clear day.

I like London Towers, for its history that is pretty famous. You can do a tour of that, which I'd recommend (buy a headset thing).

Go see a play in the theater. I saw the Lion King there, got amazing seats, and it was just awesome.

A lot of people like Westminster Abbey b/c of its history and the royalty who got married there (Princess Di) and those who were buried there.

If you've never been to one, Madame Toussads is fun (a little pricey and they didn't have a Bono statue last time I went). But it's really cool and something you should see if you haven't.

I've never been but Notting Hill is supposed to be fun, all outdoor markets, with vendors selling anything and everything imaginable.

Musuems! :up: free and lots of awesome history. I love the British Museum. The British Library (I think that's the official title) has amazing originals of literature, from Shakespeare to Dickens to The Canterbury Tales, as well as drafts of Beatle's music. When I first went all this stuff was in the British Museum and I loooved it.

that's off the top of my head. I'll let you know what else i think of. :)

Westminster Abbey was one the coolest place I've ever been to--I was just fascinated for hours there.

Olive, you're awesome :up:

The British Museum sounds fantastic...and Notting Hill. :heart:

Okay, my trip is like, over a year away. How am I this excited already?

:scream:I wanna go too! London! ENGLAND! The Who live there:bow: :bow: ! Well, Roger and Pete anyway :D . But Im sure John and Keith's graves are somewhere:(. Well Im going some day and to Ireland.

In London I reccomend going to:

Madame Tussauds Rock circus - This one has Bono it's in Piccadilly Circus.

London Dungeon! - :up: This place is wicked! They have all the old stuff they used to use in the dungeons, then like you go on this little ride and get shot by a firing squad, followed by Jack the Ripper and you have to escape the great fire of London. This was the COOLEST!

Tower Bridge is cool. I was actually there when they were filming the Mummy 2 and I got to meet Brendan Fraiser :up:

Brittish Museum has like the Rosetta stone and mummies that was fun.

Westminster Abby is cool but don't go there during mass time on Sunday. It was odd and we got scolded for leaving the mass early LOL :shrug:

Buckingham Palace - definitely a must. The tour is cool but the changing of the guards is really great!

Soho is a really cool place to hang out. Really great restaurants.

*tries to think of other stuff*

The Tube - you should definitely take a ride on the tube and remember to "mind the gap"

Harrod's - It's a really cool store but make sure you dress somewhat nice to go in there or they won't let you in.

Everyone else has mentioned good places but the globe theatre is apparently very good according to my Dad that is. :up:

Globe theater! :up: :love: I love Shakespeare. I donated a brick for the rebuilding of the Globe! lol

St. Patrick's Cathedral is also cool- and then you can walk across the Millenium Bridge to Tate Museum. This is all in the same area as the Globe.

For planning I'd say pick out like one major thing to do every day and figure out how you will get there (tube or walking, when reasonbale, are best bets & cheapest). Then maybe add in one or two smaller things per day- like walking by Buckingham Palace (I'd forgotten this! If you go in August I think the Queen is away and you can tour the palace- but you need to buy tickets early in the day to get in the afternoon) or walking thru Trafalgar Square.

It's good to start early- lots of time to plan and get excited :hyper: :D

Hampton Court Palace is one of my veryfavorite palaces (lol like I know so many). I toured it back on my high school trip and I couldn't get enough of how amazing it was. Best castle was Warwick castle, such gorgeous lands.

And, don't stay in a hostel. It's not really worth it.

martha said:

:sigh:

Now I wanna go.

The town where her museum is in is really beautiful. Small and green and hilly. The lake district is just stunning. I'm so fortunate to have had these experiences. I have a few pics I need to scan for a project so if I get that done I'll also scan the couple of pics I have from her place.

oliveu2cm said:

And, don't stay in a hostel. It's not really worth it.

My Dad and sister stayed in a hotel (Jurys..maybe :slant: ) in Baker Street, they loved it, it was cheap but very nice and they said the food was good. :up:

We stayed at the Bloomsbery Hotel it's right on Bloomsberry St. behind the Brittish Museum. It was about $190 a night for 3 people but it was really great.

I can post more later probably, but off the top of my head...

Camden Market
Covent Garden
Top Shop on Oxford Street (great shop)
Walk along Southbank - you can go to the Tate Modern, Gabriel's Wharf, Shakespeare's Globe Theater, Butler's Wharf - if it's a nice day, it's fun.
Tate Britain museum - great pre-raphealite stuff there if you like that.

Back
Top Bottom