End of Earth, Michigan Superthread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
coolian2 said:

I'll have my license soon enough.

Shame i always drive like i'm drunk.

:lol:

I actually know the road rules perfectly. I'd be a fucking good driver if, you know, I could see. The map we had in the car when I was younger had the New Zealand road code at the back, so whenever we were driving around, I'd read it and piss off my mother (who is actually an exceptionally good driver) by correcting her.

Axver said:

It's amazing how often I have to do this.

But then I'm nearly legally blind. I have an excuse.

zing.

as my dorm phone only calls campus numbers, if i lose my phone i have to chat a friend and ask them to call it, or ask my friend next door if she's there. at home i call my cell all the time. once it was under my bed. wtf. in the library last month i had to borrow a semi-stranger's phone to call it - it had fallen into a seat cushion!

Axver said:

I actually know the road rules perfectly. I'd be a fucking good driver if, you know, I could see. The map we had in the car when I was younger had the New Zealand road code at the back, so whenever we were driving around, I'd read it and piss off my mother (who is actually an exceptionally good driver) by correcting her.

I actually do quite well according to the rules, but i'm generally just unwilling to make an aggressive move. Unless someone pisses me off, then i'm trying to get them to see my selected hand gesture.

My navigation is alright too.

coolian2 said:
Seriously, if anyone comes to NZ and wants to visit most of the place, tell me. There is a shitload of stuff i want to do here that i'll never get around to otherwise.

You're so in on my driving tour. It's been in the works for ages - mainly just me thinking of where I want to go, ever since the two people I originally intended to it with ceased to be my friends.

Axver said:

so you were always an annoying, smug know-it-all? :wink:

Varitek said:

zing.

as my dorm phone only calls campus numbers, if i lose my phone i have to chat a friend and ask them to call it, or ask my friend next door if she's there. at home i call my cell all the time. once it was under my bed. wtf. in the library last month i had to borrow a semi-stranger's phone to call it - it had fallen into a seat cushion!

I'm often asking my sister to call my phone, or she's asking me.

I liked my old phone, because when i had it on silent it still had a light that flashed when it was ringing.

coolian2 said:

I'm often asking my sister to call my phone, or she's asking me.

I liked my old phone, because when i had it on silent it still had a light that flashed when it was ringing.

oh i'm in so much trouble when my phone is lost and off. on silent it doesn't flash but the screen turns on at least.

coolian2 said:

I have an excuse too.....my room is a tip. I don't know the last time i put clean washing away. I don't want to now in case i find something scary under the pile.

In Brisbane, I left a suitcase open at the top of my wardrobe and forgot about it. Ten months later, I was moving to Melbourne and was very nervous about getting it down. I opened it and SOME BIG FUCKING FLYING THING flew out. I already had insect spray on me, so I just sprayed shitloads and closed the door to the room.

No idea what the fucking thing was, because the next person to go into the room was my mother, who picked up the dead bug and threw it in the rubbish.

Varitek said:

oh i'm in so much trouble when my phone is lost and off. on silent it doesn't flash but the screen turns on at least.

The screen lights up on my phone, but it's far less obvious than a flashing light (and i can't use it as a torch!)

I often think about buying a new phone if my phone is off and missing.

coolian2 said:

I actually do quite well according to the rules, but i'm generally just unwilling to make an aggressive move. Unless someone pisses me off, then i'm trying to get them to see my selected hand gesture.

i am an under-confident driver. i don't have that much experience, as i learned to drive only about 8 months before college and i don't have a car here. mostly it's that i've got a terrible awful dreadful sense of direction and i have to concentrate so much of my brain on getting that right that i get nervous that i'm distracted while driving. i think experience will make me a lot better. that and a gps.

Varitek said:

so you were always an annoying, smug know-it-all? :wink:

Damn straight. For as long as I can remember, my mother has observed that "you have an answer for everything, André".

I think it was only natural that I ended up a debater.

Axver said:

In Brisbane, I left a suitcase open at the top of my wardrobe and forgot about it. Ten months later, I was moving to Melbourne and was very nervous about getting it down. I opened it and SOME BIG FUCKING FLYING THING flew out. I already had insect spray on me, so I just sprayed shitloads and closed the door to the room.

No idea what the fucking thing was, because the next person to go into the room was my mother, who picked up the dead bug and threw it in the rubbish.

Ahhh! Fuck, i hate insects. A big factor for why i was so happy to move back to New Zealand in 1997.

Axver said:

:yikes: (i've used that a lot since i finally learned the damn code for it)

i try to make sure the suitcases under my bed are zipped shut.

coolian2 said:

Ahh, right. If I could drive, I can totally see myself being That Guy Who Floors It Through Yellow Lights.

My one use on any driving expedition is as a navigator. Sure, I can't drive, but you'll never get lost with me reading the map. I've always loved maps and geography.

cinnaminson said:
I'm not too bad at navigating when I'm by myself. I map out the route the night before, make notes and keep the Melways on standby.

I like to yell at other drivers though:mad:

when i'm in the car by myself or with a close friend, i totally yell at other drivers. almost nonstop commentary if there's bad traffic and people are being jackasses, and given that i drive in boston, probably they are.

i had sooooooo much fun when i drove with a friend to a concert in the burbs and there was one of those massive arena parking lots and leaving was a big competition. i am competitive. it was a blast. at one point i made her get out of the car and block another that wouldn't let me in by standing in front of it! then i bitched at drivers in front of me who let cars in, of course.

Varitek said:

i am an under-confident driver. i don't have that much experience, as i learned to drive only about 8 months before college and i don't have a car here. mostly it's that i've got a terrible awful dreadful sense of direction and i have to concentrate so much of my brain on getting that right that i get nervous that i'm distracted while driving. i think experience will make me a lot better. that and a gps.

Sometimes i'm really confident and sometimes i get out of the car a shaky mess. And i'll even have that on the same route.

Some days i'll drive to Mt Smart Stadium and i'll have spent so much time talking that i can't remember any of the trip, and sometimes i'm so wired into concentrating on the road it takes me forever to relax.

Bizarre.

Axver said:

Ahh, right. If I could drive, I can totally see myself being That Guy Who Floors It Through Yellow Lights.

My one use on any driving expedition is as a navigator. Sure, I can't drive, but you'll never get lost with me reading the map. I've always loved maps and geography.

fat lot of good you were a few weeks ago :eyebrow: :wink:

Varitek said:

:yikes: (i've used that a lot since i finally learned the damn code for it)

i try to make sure the suitcases under my bed are zipped shut.

Yeah, I always zip stuff shut. In this case, I'd just forgotten, and by the time I noticed, it had already been months and I didn't want to know what was living in there, so I put it off as long as I could!

cinnaminson said:
I'm not too bad at navigating when I'm by myself. I map out the route the night before, make notes and keep the Melways on standby.

I like to yell at other drivers though:mad:

i debate you on your navigation skillz. or was that dannys fault?

i like to yell at other drivers alllll the time.

Axver said:

That's me, unless i'm not feeling too confident. Usually, in Auckland though i have a bus or truck right up my clacker and i need to floor it through yellow lights.

cinnaminson said:

fat lot of good you were a few weeks ago :eyebrow: :wink:

If you'd had me in the car with a map open on my lap, I can guarantee you that you would not have ended up on Chapel Street.

Though you probably still would have ended up behind a tram somewhere along the way ... :drool:

coolian2 said:

Sometimes i'm really confident and sometimes i get out of the car a shaky mess. And i'll even have that on the same route.

Some days i'll drive to Mt Smart Stadium and i'll have spent so much time talking that i can't remember any of the trip, and sometimes i'm so wired into concentrating on the road it takes me forever to relax.

Bizarre.

that's weird. i generally get into a car nervous, relax immediately if i actually know wehre i'm going, or remain nervous if i'm following unknown directions, particularly confusing ones.

i'm also a little nervous on the highway as i'm bad at changing lanes, again, inexperience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom