End of Earth, Michigan Superthread - Page 24 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Lemonade Stand > Lemonade Stand Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-05-2008, 11:53 AM   #346
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:38 PM
phanan were you the one who mentioned the kinks? either way do you have any recommendations for which album(s) to start with?

Old 05-05-2008, 11:59 AM   #347
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:38 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by phanan
I received a few questions regarding the Critics' Choice. I wasn't sure if we'd do it this time because it seemed that Screwtape had to pull teeth just to get people involved the last time out.

Perhaps we can start a thread to gauge interest. If you and/or Screwtape want to be involved with that, that's fine. He hasn't said anything about it, as far as I know.
I've always liked critics' choice since it rewards tracklists that were overlooked. And because I tend to do well on it.

But yeah, getting people involved is always an effort. I'm kind of tempted to just make the critics the people in this thread who want to do it. Many of us listened to a majority of the tracklists and discussed them endlessly. Sure, it's cliquey, but it'd be easier than coaxing ballots out of people who don't really care.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-05-2008, 12:01 PM   #348
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
what's critic's choice?
A series of awards we'd give out at the end of the DI tournament, like Best Playlist, Best Flow, Best Atmosphere, things like that. It's voted on by those actually involved in the tournament and such.

I've generally found it to have far more informed outcomes than the popular voting, which too often comes down to name recognition. I think this edition has been best for avoiding "OMG no U2 can't vote for it!" and other name-recognition-without-listening voting issues.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-05-2008, 12:04 PM   #349
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Varitek
phanan were you the one who mentioned the kinks? either way do you have any recommendations for which album(s) to start with?
I believe that was LemonMelon who responded previously.

I'm not a huge Kinks fan, but Lola vs. the Powerman is a very good album, as I recall. Haven't listened to it in years, though.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #350
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I've always liked critics' choice since it rewards tracklists that were overlooked. And because I tend to do well on it.

But yeah, getting people involved is always an effort. I'm kind of tempted to just make the critics the people in this thread who want to do it. Many of us listened to a majority of the tracklists and discussed them endlessly. Sure, it's cliquey, but it'd be easier than coaxing ballots out of people who don't really care.
Doing it amongst the participants in this thread might actually be a better idea, because outside of a small group of people, I don't think others really care.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:07 PM   #351
Blue Crack Addict

thanks

ok i should eat
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 PM   #352
Vocal parasite

Quote:

Doing it amongst the participants in this thread might actually be a better idea, because outside of a small group of people, I don't think others really care.
I think a good plan of attack would be to get ballots from all the people on this thread who give a shit (I expect we could get at least six or seven), and I could also promote it in the semis and finals for anybody else who's sufficiently interested and doesn't post here. I hope that would pick up at least a couple more ballots.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #353
Blue Crack Addict

Sounds good to me.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:18 PM   #354
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 PM
So with that whole B&C mix cd exchange, it sounds like we need to break off into a second group do Screwtape's idea. Lots of wealthy people seem to be "disc purists" and only want little shiny discs. They don't care about the music, only the "nostalgia" of mix cds (I'm only 23, but mix cds are not nostalgic--mix TAPES are nostalgic--I should fucking sign up and start sending out tapes and see what they say).
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 PM   #355
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:38 PM
Quote:

Then there are also the people who have been vacant for nearly the whole competition like DaveC and Lancemc.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #356
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
So with that whole B&C mix cd exchange, it sounds like we need to break off into a second group do Screwtape's idea. Lots of wealthy people seem to be "disc purists" and only want little shiny discs. They don't care about the music, only the "nostalgia" of mix cds (I'm only 23, but mix cds are not nostalgic--mix TAPES are nostalgic--I should fucking sign up and start sending out tapes and see what they say).

do you even have the equipment to dub a tape? i guess my old stereo in my room at home would do it

i'm 21 and i agree. mix tapes i remember. mix cd's not as much, though i have plenty of burned ones.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:38 PM   #357
Vocal parasite

OK, I've got one essay a quarter done and one just about half done. Rock the fuck on. Now to get some sleep. See you folk in eight hours or so.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 05-05-2008, 12:42 PM   #358
Blue Crack Addict

mmmm i'm eating sushi for lunch
Old 05-05-2008, 12:45 PM   #359
Blue Crack Addict

:spicy tuna roll orgasm:
Old 05-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #360
Blue Crack Addict

i think i might like eal better than salmon avocado...something to keep in mind for next time

i hate this time of day in the superthread, it dies.

Tags
superthread